“We’re in a bit of a pickle, Dick” advice plz

So I’m raiding on my rogue, recently started doing bgs on my rogue. I’m enjoying it and am excited for the (possible) release of TBC to start doing arena again. Unfortunately one thing I’m not enjoying is trying to make money. I’m Herb/alch and while the money isn’t bad, I’m not making much unless I’m spending hours competing over herbs on an over-farmed server. As a rogue I’m usually getting pushed off nodes by Druids/hunters/mages. I’ve tried several of the rogue dungeon farming guides but my gear doesn’t seem to be enough without engineering and I don’t have enchanting to D/E the blues anyway… otherwise I’d probably farm shards.
So I thought I’d make my alt for future farming in (possible) TBC now and start farming early as I feel I’m wasting my limited playtime running in circles for 1.5 hours to get 20 plaguebloom.
For alts:
Pally - was a strong consideration for boosting people, but due to my lack of success dungeon farming on my rogue, I’m hesitant to rely on that as my main source of income.
Mage - getting aoe nerfed if TBC drops, boosting wont be near as strong, neither will aoe farming.
Lock - also affected by the aoe nerf, get stronger as a TBC class but ultimately the lack of mobility will be troublesome.
Hunter - in my mind I see this as the top farming option for grinding things such as motes or other needed items like ele earth and water in classic. I think they are one of the more dominant classes in open world but I could be wrong.
Warrior - I love warriors, haha this is kinda a joke because I no deep down I will never be successful on one in kinda world environment … like a lesser rogue lol… correct me if I’m wrong.

At this point I invite everyone to list other options or what they think is best. I realize I left out Druids and I know they are the top node farmers in TBC… I played one all through CATA and I’m just not sure I am ready to do the shifting thing all over again… unless enough compelling advice is received to do so over other classes

Thanks very much, I hope you all have fun with this topic and maybe some theory crafting comes out of it that helps more people than just myself.

If you want gold in tbc make a pala and farm scholo for runes, they’re still used in tbc and at 70 scholo is a joke for paladins

I know the pain! I’m having my druid boosted for TBC. My plan is to main druid skin/LW’ing in tbc and alt hunter/eng/mine for farming primals, air/waters/fires. i think i’m on the right track but it’s been yrs lol…

1 Like

Like the demonic health for mana runes?
What are they even worth?

I’d say you are considering those were both choices of mine and you are doing what I would do on a hunter lol
One thing to consider on your Druid… flightform herbing is insane

It will depend on the specific server but serious raiders will always want some, it’s definitely a solid way to make gold

Skin/LW is right track for leveling and gearing up especially as a feral tank.

You’ll probably drop skinning for a different crafting profession. Eng/JC/Enchant all bring more stats or utility than skinning. And sure, engineering will be great for primal farming, but you’ll need an alch alt or two for primal might transmutes.

I’ll be sticking with skin/LW to 70 and probably until I have the Heavy Clefthoof and possibly some other items like Primalstrike. I’ll drop skinning once my hunter is 70 and able to skin. I haven’t decided on my main second profession, but I will drop it on and off for enchanting to enchant rings. Not as much as some, but at least towards the end of each tier.

I plan on multiple alts at 70 with alchemy for transmutes/tailoring CDs to sell. I’m guessing you’re similar vein to me. I played retail BC and tanked Kara to Sunwell so I have a foggy memory of everything from back then. I’ll say some of the prevailing private servery theorycrafting is yet to be done (ex. feral dps with Wolfshead Helm in BC). The old EJ Feral Megathread is still on the wayback machine.

If you want more info on druid and the upcoming talk for Classic BC I’d say get in the Druid Classic discord server. Most of the website guides for Classic have been dog junk. Still recommending Warden Staff…

In terms of gold making, level a paladin and get used to prot tanking dungeons. That will be the aoe farming and boosting class of BC.

If you wanting to make gold in Classic as a rogue and you’re an herbalist id suggest DM East. You can jump in and grab all the herbing nodes within a few minutes. Then run to the satyr room and pick / loot all the lock boxes. You should be able to do this well under the 1 hour mark for 5 resets.

If you want an alt to help gold farm you can make a paladin and sell stocks boosts while your rogues instance cooldown is wrapping up. A stocks boost on a well geared paladin takes about 7 minutes. Not including the raw gold you’ll loot from 5 lockouts you should expect to make about 60 gold from stocks boost per hour but you can do it in 35 minutes. That leaves you 25 minutes to grab herbs and lock boxes on your rogue. This combo can easily net you well over 100g per hour. Bonus : it’s all instanced so you’ll never get pushed off it by horde.

If you’re looking for a TBC specific gold farming alt then I’d suggest a Druid. Flight form means you can loot herbs and mining nodes then remount quicker than any other class. Cyclone means you can CC anyone that tries to steal a node from you.

1 Like

Lol, we never used those things in TBC my guild. They strictly aren’t needed.

1 Like

Short answer. Stay on your rogue but switch to mining and JC when it comes out.

Longer answer: Rogues have a massive advantage with imp sap and blind, They can sneak into caves to take Rich addy and Khorium nodes while other classes are fighting their way in. JC is a monster of a moneymaker IF you can get the good patterns early and the largest continued cost to character progression was gems for upgrades.

I dropped blacksmithing on my rogue relatively early into TBC and after that point my characters bank balance only went up. Everyone needs between 1-3 red/orange/blue gems per piece and everyone needs 1 meta gem and they have to come from somewhere and then they have to be cut by someone.

1 Like

Okay, you didn’t use them. Many people did, and the current pserver meta definitely uses them.

Thats not a good thing.

Pserver meta also brought us such glorious things as bgs being nothing but premade pug stomping hph minmaxers, world buffing then logging out for days, mass exploitation, and boosting on a scale that puts paid boost tokens in retail to shame.

Basically, find a way to take some out of the fun of the game, and the pserver meta adopts it immediately. The less fun the better.

1 Like

Here’s the real big brain play.

Fill your character screen with level 60s, class doesn’t matter whatever’s fastest, so probably mage.

Make them all tailors 300/300.

Level them all to 68 in tbc ASAP and starting making spellcloth, primal mooncloth, and the shadow cloth ( I forget the exact name) on cooldown.

Become rich in the first couple months and never worry about gold again!

Just saying that’s how it is going to be.

Yea, I’ve tried DM east on my rogue, but it doesn’t seem to be very profitable, especially being in a combat raid spec. I usually end up dying so something stupid and in the amount of time I’m in there I feel I could make more running around farming herbs. I’m sure it’s just me, but it hasn’t been working out, neither has BRD without enchanting.

Ive thought about that even for farming arcane crystals from rich thorium. Should I just drop alchemy now and start farming ore for JC right now and stockpile it?
I was going to go JC/mining on my new alt, but the cave farming thing makes sense and I’ve heard of it before.

Lol there’s no way I’m doing that… takes way too much time for me to hit 60 alone. I know a hunter who did exactly what you suggested but with transmute undeath to water. Great for a person without a job or family

Eh put in work for a month then make gold passively for the rest of tbc by logging on your toons for 10 mins each every 3 days

I admit it’s definitely more work compared to classics level 35 for max profs though

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. It’s a good suggestion, I just can’t bring myself to do it lol.its like, I could’ve sold myself as a dungeon tank in classic… but I hate tanking in classic past ZF. :stuck_out_tongue:

No one likes any of the other picks I listed outside of Druid flight form?

By all means it’s not really something I’d care to do myself either.

I think just about all the suggestions made are good though, making gold in tbc is quite a bit easier than classic.

You could easily sustain yourself just by running heroics and buying gems/nethers with badges.

Will you be drowning in gold? No but you’ll have plenty to get by on.

If you really don’t have much time to play I’d suggest making a JC. Buy uncut gems, cut and resell. Pretty easy money

1 Like

It’s boring but it works. You can make more from herbing/alch though.

If you go the JC route don’t go crazy and stockpile heaps more than you need. Every man and his dog will be having the same thought.

1 Like

I dropped alchemy for mining but decided to do a quick herb run in RFD first. Made 224g in 2 hours (once all sells) disenchanting the blues and grabbing the gravemoss. I think I may just continue doing that as it’s more time efficient than hoping for rich thorium spawns and the 3% drop rate on crystals.

As far as the JC stockpile, I just meant stockpiling enough ore/bars to hit 300+ following a TBC jewelcrafting guide. That way the day TBC drops I can instantly be 300 and using Outland minerals to hit 375 instead of having to spend time looking for classic minerals when I could be leveling.

my plan is to stay poor as a church mouse and not worry about having gold or spending gold. i can save up for a month to get my epic mount. i didn’t get agryphon or flying skill until mid wrath in retail.

1 Like