Would New Players Be Fine With a 16 Unit Limit?

Why would it not be fair if you can chose whatever you want?

Obviously, it would be removed from classic version too.

I would say since Warcraft is a spell and specifically a hero oriented that the 12 unit limit should remain to encourage the use of spells and abilities so player use strategies rather than just flooding some ones base with one type base which is no fun. I think a higher limit is rather lazy.

as i wuld say the 12 unit limit dont really encourage you to be more into the game people already uses spell with the hero first thing you learn…
with 12 unit limit gone the new players will learn to micro one way or another! even story mode teaches you to micro in small bits
right now most people play warcraft 3 custom game with 1 hero or builder becus that is more fun then the standard game we want to encourage new players and returning players that is frustrated abut the unit limit!

even if you think it is lazy its more fun then you think but still you forget whats the difference with a newbie, casual player that wont really focus on every spell to their unit most likely gona put every auto spell on auto… while the pro focus alot on the spells and micro unit!

we cant have only a pro player apm view on this game! becus that wont encourage new players!

best choice is to remove 12 unit limit to open the game more for new players, returning players that want that modern touch and casual players! then if they want to go more into the competitive part they gona learn how to micro and cast ability anyways

as to be said again that change is for us to get new players to the game aswell as returning that was frustrated abut the 12unit limit!

No logical reason why their should even be a limit at all…people saying it to help noobs in the long run need to get their heads checked.

I mean let people play how they want. If you want be all pro and have multiple unit groups the functionality already exists. Removing the 12 unit cap does not impact you in anyway at all.

For everyone else who just wants to have a bit of fun, why not let them select all and send the army into battle? Someone that uses micro to their advantage will still be a better player so the ladder will be preserved.

Back in my Warcraft day you had to build roads, build your structures along those roads, and you could only select 4 units.

1 Like

If some of you w3 purist want to keep that damn 12 unit selection cap you should also HATE custom hotkeys. Afteral they change how you play the game arent they? Leaen to play with hotkeys all overthe place. Allowing them co be customised would be too ,easy" and would make the game less skilled.

5 Likes

Custom hotkeys were a thing in Warcraft 3 already with Customkeys.txt.

Rebinding hotkeys in Starcraft 2 and Starcraft: Remastered I found improved my macro moreso than my micro. Saving split seconds like that isn’t making the game less skilled, it’s making the player more skilled. The better you can balance micro/macro overall and promote more focused, cleaner micro it’s the opposite.

Just patch the original game… honestly, this game is going to be a flop if all the Doomsayers are to be believed!

There is no good reason to keep the 12 unit limit! It’s an old mechanic that has no purpose in 2018. If you want smaller unit groups, the function already exists for you now…the best players will still use multiple small groups to extra evey bit of micro advantage they can. Therefore, any changes will have zero impact on those people anyway.

I really am surprised there are players who oppose this change.

1 Like

Removing the limit from classic is not the only way. If reforged is able to support arbitrary unit caps or no cap, then you can just force the cap to 12 when crossplaying with classic.

Also, the crossplay decision seems very limiting and difficult to me, I won’t be surprised if they later decide to drop it if the limitations become too burdensome. Basically, no gamestate-affecting changes can be made to reforged without also adding them to classic (which makes it less “classic”). Classic also has very low system requirements, which limits how intensive changes (eg, better but more expensive pathing) can be.

Another option might be to have pure classic (on classic game only), crossplay classic (reforged crossplay gamestate code with classic aesthetics and UI, available from classic game) and reforged. This is a bit of extra work (eg: you’d need to link the new gamestate to the old UI), but would give more freedom to the reforged gamestate code.

This block doesn’t make sense to me because they’ve confirmed it’s the same gameplay engine so why would they go on to make changes to the game?

I haven’t hunted down all the reforged new and info yet, so I could be misinformed on some things. Do you mean they confirmed that classic and reforged will be on the same version of the engine? Or just that reforged won’t be using a brand new one.

I think they either remove it or keep it and let custom games remove it by themselves, a “16” cap is nearly as bad in terms of limitation, just an arbitrary number.

1 Like

It’s gonna be the same version of the engine, is how I interpreted the information so far. Only engine stuff that’s changing is the graphical one for Reforge to give us shiny stuff.

1 Like

Indeed. Blizz has been updating vanilla wc3 and there has been a lot of backend changed since patch 1.27. This whole time Blizz was prepping the game to transition to modern systems - we’ve seen it with things like them merging RoC and TFT into one executable, moving Bnet hosting to Bnet 2.0 and adding a bunch of new native functions to the editor (eg: You can now move special effects via triggers! :D)

So, really, with them confirming that Reforged runs on the same engine and that crossplay will be a possible, I can only assume that any changes that comes to Reforged will be applied to vanilla as well (or more accurately, any vanilla changes will affect Reforged). Essentially, they’re changing the vanilla game itself. Unless Blizzard manages some hacky computer code magic to allow crossplay and yet have different versions of the game running…

Just please one GOOD reason why 12 limit cap should remain because I’ve read 5 different forums and nobody has given even one.
What Problem would there be if blizzard made it as I wrote in my previous reply?

3 Likes

dont worry guys we have been heard abut the 12 unit limit Xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI10a1GR_jM&feature=youtu.be&t=1201

remove the X from the https link but y the last question was the unit limit
they are thinking 2 sepreated ladders with it so nostalgia experience and new experience probly have to put this link in some of the other 12 unit limit topics =P

1 Like

Only one it comes to my mind is sone players seem to be gods of w3 and that simple change will ruin their winrate because some players will be allowed to a move through them on ladder with ease :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Blizzard Game developers please please please please please please make the ability to group units and add newly-created unit(s) to your existing grouping just like that of the controls in Starcraft 2 where there’s no unit limit to one hot key and it’s the click of one button to add newly-made troops grouped to your hotkey control. I beg of you to please make this change it absolutely positively will keep and add more players to Warcraft 3 and be a deal-breaker if not!!! Having the controls like this be so good in Starcraft 2 makes other games not fun and not even playable so I please beg of you to make this adjustment for Warcraft 3 reforged to maintain current gamers and entice and keep new ones. Not having the ability to do this is such a deterrent and an inconvenience and so much time is wasted trying to separate a group units because of a limit and because you can’t add newly-made units into your already pre-set control group. I literally stopped playing Warcraft 3 the other night and played Starcraft 2 just because of this unit limit and inability to group my troops and add new troops to my current grouping!!! I assure you I am one of many that have done the same thing and feel the same way!!! Also if there’s any chance we could be given our own ability to assign hotkeys like that in Starcraft 2 that would be fantastic as well like assign a peasant as “a” rather than the default letter p. Thank you so very much for your attention and assistance to these matters.

I haven’t played SC2, how does that work exactly? I dont think its as easy because in wc3 you dont want all units in one group

I suggested something similar here —> https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/pre-set-control-groups-in-option/

However, I dont think it would be a good idea for wc3 to have unlimited unit selection

A new UI is coming for hotkeys just like with SC:R

for now you can use this —> https://www.reddit.com/r/WC3/comments/69p3nv/improved_custom_hotkeys_setup_by_wtvr/