World Editor Tags Inconsistent

Like im editing a unit right?

Im changing sound and model file okay?

For the “Goblin Shredder” we all know and luv.

Couldn’t find it…

Spent a solid fkn 10 mins looking and then searching online.

It was called “Junk Golem” in the model tag…
For some weird reason okay?

Then i assumed the sound file would also be “Junk Golem”?

Boy I was fkn wrong again.

I believe it was “Iron Golem” and i was like wtf.

Why not just have it called “Goblin Shredder” ???

Why all these loopholes and hassles???

Dafuq.

Blizz needs to clean up these tags. And bring some “unity” as they said they would.

Because those were internal names used by the assets for their original purposes during development. The Goblin Shredder was an Orc unit, to follow in the footsteps of Warcraft II.

As the World Editor disclaimer said for nearly 15 years, Blizzard does not officially lend support for the tool.

StarCraft II and Heroes of the Storm also has a lot of similar cases where data names do not match the in game names. For example Raynor’s Give Them Pepper ability was named something else in the HotS patch beta.

Yh but now they are resupporting the entire process.

Maybe its time to change it.

They are upgrading editor aswell

If I had to choose between Blizzard paying someone to rename the “IronGolem” entry to “GoblinShredder” OR Blizzard upgrading the C++ game engine to support custom races and raytracing 3D technology, I would surely choose the latter two. It’s not that I don’t agree it would be convenient to rename “IronGolem”, but making a change like that will break hundreds if not thousands of custom maps that have the text “IronGolem” embedded in them. In addition, we as players can mod the game and change that text anyways.

EDIT:

In this video, I did a 10 minute study where I created a modified build of the Warcraft 3 game client where the name of the Soundset and Model File for the Goblin Shredder had been changed to “GoblinShredder.” We can see that if Classic Games actually wanted to do this, it would take mere minutes. Then, I show you with my custom build of the game why this idea would have terrible repercussions on modding and why I totally disagree with you, and I believe that they should not do this (pursuant, of course, to the goals of whether there is a desire to support maps made in the past 15 years or not).
1 Like

In retrospect I fail to see what the topic creator is even complaining about. World Editor lists the Goblin Shredder model as “Goblin Shredder, Goblin Blaster”. Sure the file path is units\creeps\IronGolem\IronGolem but the editor still labels the model correctly.

How could it take 10 minutes to hit ctrl+F in the unit editor, type in “goblin shredder”, hit return, open up the Art - Model File field and copy the file path?