Why did Terenas not recognize Medivh?

I never got it.
What happened there exactly?

1 Like

Well Medivh was dead as far as Terenas was concerned. Im not 100% sure but I donā€™t think they were friends like Lothar, Khadgar and Medivh. Its possible Terenas only knew him from stories and or met him once.

1 Like

Medivh chose not to reveal his true identity, as he wouldā€™ve been recognized as the evil sorcerer who brought the orcs to Azeroth. King Terenas and Antonidas both consequently dismissed the Prophet as nothing more than a madman.

So is medivh plan all along to not be recognized by them. And for the same reason they donā€™t believe this warning from a ā€œmad strangerā€.

Edit: because if he reveledā€Hey, Iā€™m Medivh. Weā€™re in dangerā€ they first kill him and then believe he was he who brought this new danger.

They canā€™t trust him anymore for the danger he brought to azeroth in the first war

9 Likes

Did Terenas ever meet Medivh?

Itā€™s not like they can just look up his picture on WoWpedia.

10 Likes

why would he? he wasnt stormwinds king, hes lorderons king. not only that, but he was completely struck down and believed deadā€¦plus hes oldā€¦maybe cant see so well :wink:

3 Likes

Terenas is Warcraft 2, Medivh ā€˜diedā€™ before Warcraft 1 end.

They never met until Warcraft 3.

5 Likes

The Kirin Tor would have known about Medivh - Antonidas certainly - but so far as he or anyone else knew, he was dead. Hell, Khadgar didnā€™t even know heā€™d come back until Legion.

3 Likes

I mean he could have said that to the King from the roof of the interior so the guards couldnā€™t catch himā€¦ But as wise as he was he chose not to.

Considering all of Azeroth fate was on the line lol

Medivh was a traitor who opened the Dark Portal. Why would his identity have helped him convince anyone of anything?

7 Likes

Exacly. If they find out the prophet who warn them about this blight is medivh they simply address him the fault and kill him instead of listen to him.

All the lore about Medivh in warcraft 1 :
!narrator : Hi Lothar ! I did a little walk with my dog as every morning just before going to work and i saw a tower with a bad wizzard inside. Please kill him.
Lothar : Okay dude !

All the lore about Medivh in warcraft 2 :
King : find his magic book !
Player : Why ?
King : Because i already read all harry potter books !!!

All the lore about Medivh in warcraft 3 :
Medivh : IT WAS MY FAULT SINCE THE BEGINNING : (

All the lore about Medivh in WoW: He was God

Player: Really?

Blizzard: Really

I have secret note from Blizzard for Warcraft 4 : in this game, we will learn Medivh was in fact a murloc since all the time.

3 Likes

Kings rarely go abroad except for very important diplomatic reasons. Probably, he never knew how Medivh looked like.

And itā€™s fair because in Medieval societies, commoners would never knew their rulersā€™ faces

Like said, Terenas had never met Medivh in person. Only people in Kingdom of Azeroth/Stormwind had and even many of them were dead or trapped in Outland(Draenor) after the 2nd war. Either way since there might have been some people in Stormwind that might have still recognized him, he never went to warn them and I guess he had forseen that Undead Scourge and Burning Legion would not trouble with lands south of Lordaeron, atleast until their victory over Night Elves was assured.

And like said if he had revealed who he was, then its likely they would have trusted him even less. Ofc Medivh could have spoken more coherently, trying to connect the dots between orcs, the plague/Undead and the Burning Legion instead of speaking like rambling prophet, but would they have believed him even then?..

Either way his goal was to save atleast some of Lordaeronā€™s people and in that he was in the end succesful

3 Likes

Lore-wise: Medivh didnā€™t bring the Orcs to Azeroth, Sargeras did, as an avatar, using Medivhā€™s body. Ok, Medivh did it, taking that backā€¦

I kind of like what they did with Medivh in the WC movie where he got corrupted by his own actions instead of Sargeras intercepting Aegwynns pregnancy.

Well they really didnt have time to input all that lore in the game and thats actually what was Warcraftā€™s movie greatest weaknessā€¦they didnt really even have time to explain that it was Sargeras who was controlling Medivh, nor even had the time/opportunity to explain stuff about Burning Legion and that they were behind the corruption of the orcs. Ofc all of this could have been explain in later movies, but far better way to approach the movie would have been to start from the book ā€œRise of the Hordeā€ and properly explain the background of the orcs and the Burning Legionā€¦as it was, much of the stuff didnt propably make much sense to anyone else but Warcraft lore nerds, and even among us, most of us would have prefered the movie to follow the original lore.

Shame, the movie really was wasted opportunity, cause there would have been potential for so much more and better end result with different approach. The biggest fail of all in the movie was propably their decision to not age Khadgar at the end as result of the battle with Medivh cause ā€œthey didnt want to confuse pplā€ā€¦even though they had clearly shown before what happened to Durotan when Gulā€™dan sucked the life force out of himā€¦

Honestly I felt like they even purposely teased the fans in the end, expecting Khadgar to look old, but he was fine like nothing had happenedā€¦really, such a shameā€¦

From what Iā€™ve heard, it wasnā€™t Blizzardā€™s decision to do it. Originally they had planned a three hour movie but then Universal Picture got in the way with a ā€œnobody wants a three-hour-long-movieā€ excuse. If it were all Blizzard it probably wouldā€™ve been closer to lore, probablyā€¦

Yeah, I think there was something like 40 minutes cut for the final release. Been waiting for a Directorā€™s Cut ever since, but I think weā€™re never going to see that. Personally I love it and have watched it several times, but I can see the flaws as well, even though they donā€™t really bother me. Only thing I hate is how they ruined Orgrimā€™s character: just some Durotanā€™s puny friend who betrays them. No: Orgrim should be this badass clan leader who eventually becomes the warchief of the Horde. I donā€™t know who this sissy in the movie is.

Anyway, itā€™s a shame they didnā€™t believe in the movie and invest enough on it. They should have gone all in and do it like they did the LotR movies and shoot the whole trilogy at once and make those at least 3 hour long a piece. Now, itā€™s uncertain if thereā€™s even going to a second Warcraft movie.