What Campaign Changes Do You Think Could be Made?

Since I heard about reforged, and that they are going to do some changes in the campaign so it makes more sense with the lore, I put down some ideas I had in mind that I think can work.

As of now I’m just listing ideas for levels I can think of that could use them. If you have any of you own feel free to put them down. Now I doubt blizzard will see this post, but one can dream. And I’m pretty sure they’ll be way ahead of me here anyways.

Reign of Chaos

Exodus of the Horde
3. jungle tile set
5. jungle tile set

The Scourge of Lordaeron
2. change headhunters to forest trolls

Path of the Damned
5. replace guardian golems with arcane sentries
archmage model into blood mage.
(but call it something else like, a battle mage)
6. change headhunters to forest trolls
change red dragons to black dragons
far seers into some kind of warlock hero.
(can use the gul’dan model)
8. more variety of demons to command during mission as you are summoning

The Invasion of Kalimdor
.1. Add ranged tauren units.
(because I figure it would be nice if they can have that. Maybe something with a gun. I was always into the name, Plainsrunner)
2. Add ranged tauren units
5. add satyr archers.
(Always thought that was missing, personally)
8. more variety of demons to battle
demons can be trained in chaos orc buildings

Eternity’s End
2. more variety of demons to battle
4. add satyr archers
6. more variety of demons to battle
7. more variety of demons to battle

The Frozen Throne

Terror of the Tides
3. shamans into warlocks in flashbacks

Curse of the Blood Elves
3. new model for Kassan
5. broken models to replace lost ones
change red dragons to nether dragons
6. broken models to replace lost ones
rename rend and maim blademasters

Legacy of the Damned
3. possessing all leaders gets all creep units.
(I was always kind of bugged you couldn’t take full control of the murlocs and trolls in the level like you could with the ogres and bandits.)
5. start of forsaken style units can be trained
(I always thought a full forsaken tech tree could be possible, just to separate them from the scourge, but if thats going to be to much work to do, can just ignore the idea)
6. more forsaken style units can be trained
7. a. melee dwarves
(I remember seeing something about a plan to have some kind of dwarf axemen just for this level, but they dumped that. Perhaps this can be their chance to pull that off)

The Founding of Durotar
I wish I can look at the entire set of maps for this in more detail, but there is so much.

4 Likes

2 things I can agree with. Nothing else.

2 Likes

Ranged Taurens…
Forsaken “style” units…
Give them Druids and Shamans and Monks and just f*** everything that was envisioned about these two before Blizzard decided to milk to lore for profit.

And what was wrong with Blackrock orcs having red dragons… They enslaved red dragons, there is a whole book about it (a book that is actually literature quality, more than I can say about anything from the WoW abomination).

1 Like

I’m with Shar. A lot of these are not lore-appropriate, or are just excess. Like why do you need ranged Tauren?

Honestly, I’d like the original campaigns to stay as faithful as possible. You can add things if they ever make more campaigns, or do spin-off mini ones.

2 Likes

One change I would make:

Give Anub’Arak his own model and voiceover rather than have him be a plain old Crypt Lord

2 Likes

Honestly, it would constitute such love and care for detail on Rob’s part, I would be eternally grateful.

This is so sick!

Again, that’s so badass! I saw this implementation in The Curse of the Blood Elves custom campaign by tomoraider, and I never fully realized that the original campaign had it wrong up until the recent discussion. And it’s so weird - there are Twilight Dragons coming out of the Dimensional Gateways.

Now that I think of it, why are they coming out? There are no Nether Drakes outside of Outland… But then again, it’s a broken world in the Twisting Nether, it’s fine (some eggs/drakes might have got trapped or sent away).

It was removed half-way through the development process. There are some voice lines that make little sense (or could have made bigger!), and the Troll and Murloc chiefs have cool abilities (as if for getting charmed, but no side-quest).

2 Likes

Did you just say give the tauren a gun?

2 Likes

Well, the tauren do have a shamans in warcraft 3, the spirit walker.

Also by that time the blackrock orcs no longer had control of the red dragons anymore, but were working with the black dragons still.

that or a crossbow for the new campaign unit.

The tauren spirit walkers were not shamans, they were spirit walkers. I know it’s f****ing hard for you wow boys to understand that not everything was categorized.

And taurens do not use ranged weapons. That’s not their part in the horde army, and they were far more animalistic according to their stature to be using puny god damn foreign devices such as a crossbow and a gun.

They learn the way of the earth mother, and crush their enemies with gigantic sacred totems and crude makeshift axes with the crushing strength of their entire body.

4 Likes

What if it was a crossbow but because of their size and strength it was more like they’re just carrying around a smaller, personal ballista?

1 Like

With that motivation you could alter almost everything and everyone, just for the sake of… changing s***t I suppose? So why stop with the taurens? Why not add melee trolls and night elves with airplanes, mountain king with a boomstick and even dwarven cavalry. You’d essentionally make a whole new game, 12 months more work for the developers, and literally nothing achieved other than your fancy ideas put into fruition.

In Wc3, races were given weapons and roles that were suited to them as a combat unit within the army, it also helped to portray and explain their identity to the player. We got a pretty good idea about the taurens in Wc3 because of their primal appearance.

Sometimes less is more, now say it to yourself a couple of times.

3 Likes

So I take it custom maps with fanmade units aren’t your forte.

Such an odd thing to say, how is my opinion on custom maps even relevant to this? It even says it on the Thread topic name of this discussion: “what CAMPAIGN changes…”.

1 Like

No I’m just saying if you get this worked up over theoretical stuff, customs must be hell for you.

“Theoretical stuff” that may just be partially implemented cause people like you push so hard for ideas you barely even considered and then belittle those who argue against.

We all know that blizzard in the end will seek to satisfy it’s core WoW base cause that’s where the base of the profit lies,even if they are prepare to retcon and dissect their own once masterpiece to achieve it.

3 Likes

yeah you can really tell i’m super committed to this idea and not just throwing spaghetti at a wall, you’re right

So like. How mad would you be if you saw a night elf with a sword or a troll with a hammer? Or a human with a crossbow?

I don’t think you truly believe he’d actually be mad about Custom Games doing what they want. This is just a totally unnecessary reply chain. He’s clearly saying that in the campaign there is established lore. Would adding more stuff be cool? Maybe. Would it make sense to do that in the Campaign that’s already been made? Objectively no.

2 Likes

So I’m just gonna keep playing the bad guy here. Follow me on this one.

When we’re introduced to the tauren, all we know is that they’re nomadic bull people on the run from centaurs. Nomads don’t typically stay in one place long enough to farm at all or at least for a tremendous amount. So the tauren probably sustain themselves with hunting and gathering. For what we know of them in Warcraft 3, they’ve got axes, totems, and magical thuribles or whatever it is the spirit walkers have.

None of those seem like good hunting weapons. Maybe, just maybe. They use spears and bows.

1 Like

Or maybe they don’t need bows because all the wildlife are either pigs, pig people, or horse people. Or maybe they don’t have the dexterity to wield a bow. And how would a bowman Tauren fit in with Orcish units?

Honestly, none of that matters though. The real question is, what would it add to the game to have them? The answer is nothing, you’d add additional complexity for literally no benefit. Lore or otherwise. If you want to get into the brass tacks of it, how does anything survive in the Warcraft Universe? There are no Farms in Kalimdor, very little vegetation whatsoever, every hill is teeming with monsters somehow, and there are far too many predators to every herbivore. The food chain’s so messed up, when you want to talk about “sustaining” anything in the universe, it’s just silly. And let’s not even TALK about the human lands, I mean I’m not an agricultural expect, but I do know you generally need more farmland than cityscape in order to be sustainable.

2 Likes

I got lambasted forever ago about “shouting down people” with how I post but reading yours is kind of funny.

You kind of don’t want to have an open conversation, do you? So I’ll just leave it, I guess.

(except that Blizzard very often runs by the ‘rule of cool’ and personally I think seeing a tauren with a mini-ballista crossbow or a dumb huge longbow that only they have the strength to draw and fire would be neato because it’s a fantasy game)