Wc3 - Reforged playable with Linux?

Hello,

I am going to buy a Laptop for gaming which is just affordable for me. It happens that laptop has Linux installed with it
I would like to know if i can play Wc3: Reforged with it…
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 (or 7) - 4x 2.0 (or 4x 2.2) GHz
Grafics: AMD Radeon Radeon RX 560X - 4096 MB

Secondly, I know there is a thing called WINE which makes windows only games playable for linux (not sure of the details). Will it work with that?

It works on linux, but it’s tricky at the moment. See this thread. Anyone got 1.30.2 working on Linux (WinE)? - #20 by Retera-1959

Any modern machine should be able to run it, although I don’t know how intensive the new graphics will be when set to maximum.

There is a good chance one might be able to play if via Windows emulator like many Blizzard games. However Blizzard has no official Linux support policy for now.

Can we make a case for official linux support?

Having worked on game ports, I know this is quite challenging. Porting the game in itself is “easy”. But porting every third-party lib used in the game is the real problem, especially when the game is old and uses libraries that are discontinued and may not have shared the source code. In this case, the only solution is to ditch that lib and replace it with something else, more modern, which takes time and effort.
The last issue when it comes to linux is DRM/anti-cheat as current solutions relies a lot on a kernel driver for windows to monitor and block cheaters from tempering with the game’s memory. Kernel driver requires to be digitaly signed by a windows approved developper. Hence a cheater is not fighting on equal foot, as the driver enjoys more priviledged access than a regular “user mode” application. On linux however - I am no expert in linux kernel - so long as the user has root access, he can pretty much access anything. So preventing memory access from cheating program may be more tricky on linux.

On the other hand, since valve initiated it, there has been a trend to better support linux-based OS, with native supports on popular engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine.
Most indie games, even those with custom engines have native linux support, and now big names are also making the move. Blizzard could add their name on that list.

edit: checking steam’s hardware and software survey
3.31% users are on mac
0.82% users are on linux
So mac is only 4 times linux install base, which is not that much in my opinion. If mac has native support, having linux support as well would be fair.

1 Like