Wc3 editor causing computer restart

This started last week running windows 10

|—|—|
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz|
|Installed RAM|16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)|

|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Pen and touch|No pen or touch input is available for this display

blue error screen appears says something about driver error
i have upgraded my drivers but this only happens with the wc3 editor wc3 works fine and so do all my other games i play on this laptop. this is a problem specifically with the editor.

Possibly caused by unstable hardware. WorldEditor has no frame cap so will push CPU and GPU both hard, even when editing classic graphics. This will not only strain your laptop thermal solution, but also its power delivery. The strain could be enough that some inherit instability is being exposed and a driver crashes causing the BSoD.

If your laptop has a discrete GPU (you did not mention) then make sure to update the graphic drivers for both the integrated and discrete GPUs. Check for BIOS/UEFI updates from the OEM in case it is a known issue that they fixed with some tuning.

A work around is likely to explicitly cap the frame rate of WorldEditor. Since Warcraft III does not support this feature natively you can do so by using the graphic driver to define an application specific profile for the WorldEditor application which limits its maximum frame rate to 60 FPS. I know this is possible with Nvidia drivers/GPUs but I do not know if Intel or AMD GPU drivers offer a similar feature.

I don’t know it was fine before this talk of a new patch, do you know if the editor was changed recently?

If you are using the PTR then the PTR likely has subtle changes and optimisations to the graphic code. If you are still using release then there has not really been an update for years.

judging from what you are saying about your hardware, it does seem that you only have an integrated gpu. integrated gpus takes ram from the ram pool to use for vram when they are they only gpu, which is why you are seeing that ram limit. same thing happens to my acer which only have an integrated gpu. you could try to run the editor with classic graphics, that could help. go to preferences and set asset mode to SD. the UHD 630 can use up 64 gigabytes of ram, which is more than your system have. setting assets to SD should prevent that issue.

ok i will try to set the assets to sd, not sure why it changed all the sudden though, also can we get that limit (among others) removed?

well i was able to run the editor long enough to make the unit i wanted so… maybe that did fix it thank you! (if it crashes again i will reopen this thread or start a new one)

what limit?

responding to andreasasp2

they saying it’s a ram limit that causing my editor to crash
btw it works like before so i guess were good in sd.

as for the other limits
they’re arbitrary limits in the wc3 game play constants
such as hero equivalent and i assume the other equivalent tabs.

the editor tends to leak, specially in HD but, also in SD, while your gpu`s memory limit is higher than your current memory pool. i posted a topic about it earlier but, it was mostly ignored. just a hint of advice regarding your posting: you do not need to specify who you are responding to when it is the post right above yours.

Thank you, odd that they would ignore and editor leak that could cause entire computer to restart.

It should not be able to. This would either point towards a driver bug or that is not the cause of the restart.