Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

So you’re making an announcement about an announcement about features that used to be in the game and now they’re not?

Give me a break and STOP SAYING THAT YOURE WORKING HARD. People that “work hard” deliver, not just keep saying over and over again that you’re working hard with no results.

YOURE
NOT
WORKING
HARD

this is what hard work looks like www.w3champions dot com

this is what your game looks like warcraft3refunded dot com

38 Likes

What about the campaign heroes in melee games like you advertised in all the tales from the smithy race articles published shortly before the game launch?

Also I don’t understand why you guys have to work on custom campaigns when it was already a working feature that shipped with Frozen Throne and you simply removed for Reforged.

There’s one change to the editor I would REALLY like and have been wanting for years. The ability to properly create an extra race in my map that’s selectable from the drop down race selection list on the custom game creation screen. I know it’s doable because you did it in Starcraft 2. Also a way to increase inventory size past six and unit selection past 12 (obviously for custom games only since it will not be welcome in ladder).

Thank you for actually communicating with us. Thank you for continuing to work on Reforged. When I heard about Diablo 2 remaster I feared you guys had abandoned War3R already and I got super bummed out. I know a lot of us seem spiteful a lot of the time towards you guys, but we are simply waiting impatiently for updates to a game we all grew to love.

4 Likes

“Also new, Reforged now features Global Matchmaking for all modes, which allows players to test their mettle against the best Warcraft III players around the world. While this addition is an exciting feature, we are aware of community concerns surrounding latency with Global Matchmaking. In reaction to this feedback, the team has begun rolling out a series of server updates which have reduced the number of high-latency games by over 60% since the week of May 4th. We will continue working to further reduce the occurrence of these high-latency games by implementing additional fixes in the coming weeks, so please continue to give us feedback on your experience.”

Please don’t let your need to “fix” this affect ladder. Ladder NEEDS to come out with region selection. Simple. There is no fixing it over patches or weeks, it’s ladder is out, pick your region, 100% region based matchmaking for the best ping possible. If you have this need to "fix’ your matchmaking system for global play instead of just letting us pick our region, fix it for normal games.

1 Like

Off topic but do you know how many flags it takes to be under review? Because I mean they got 14 and 9 likes (Actually the two most liked posts in this thread) on those posts, I doubt they got that many flags.

Thank you very much for taking the time to report on the situation.

I regret that it is clear that the personalized campaigns are last on the list and that the Reformed campaign, or the Skins are not mentioned. So there is nothing of my interest in Horicente.

But hopefully they fix the game.

Please develop a reconnect feature. I can’t play with friends due desync = instant game end unable to reconnect and play from the moment I was playing. This really has to exist in Warcraft III all the rest I’m happy with the changes but please address the missing reconnect feature.

1 Like

Thank you Classics Team and Do this:

• Refund everyone, automatically for the reforged game purchase.
  • Announce that this is an open for development project, free, and invite everyone who wants to join
  • Deliver the things you can deliver at the pace you feel comfortable and keep communication up
  • Create a decent variety of skins for all playable heroes and even some units why not and monetize these for whomever wants to support the project
  • Bonus for maniacs like myself : review all your art, especially animations and spells and put the soul back in it, details are important. Bring ART back into the game.
  • Remove those awful Reforged sounds. Admit it to yourselves it was a well intended idea with a trash result.

I cannot play the game at Pro level, so I’d like to enjoy seeing and hearing it while playing.

5 Likes

Too bad Blizzard turned into a corporate greed machine. I remember growing up with Blizzard games starting with Starcraft Classic, even then I remember the devs being in contact via the chat rooms. I wish these greed machines would realize that if you spend a little extra money then fans will actually like you and be willing to spend more and recommend your games to friends. Instead of practically stealing money from longtime WC3 fans, delivering half of what the original game gave us, please just finish making the game. 6 months later they finally tell us clans will exist…lol…

14 Likes

These updates are coming too slowly…

3 Likes

Thanks for the update and increase in detailed communications, while I eagerly await the PTR and information about the forthcoming ladder I have some feedback for you on MMR and the current matchmaking experience in general.

With regards to global matchmaking, while improvements in server selection is welcomed I can tell you from personal experience this approach will likely never be ideal for players outside of certain regions, as an east coast Australian player the only server that doesn’t have unplayable lag is US west and so any % of games that select another server are effectively default losses for me and any players living in my part of the world. Most modern games with global matchmaking capabilities have instituted a search region selection (with multiple selections allowed) into their matchmaking to solve this issue, while not as easy to understand for casual and new players it’s something that veteran players would find incredibly useful and these are probably the players making up most of the actual game hours played online - Though you would know better than I on that one.

With regards to Arranged Team and Random Team mixing, much like the server selection I believe this could also benefit from being optional as at a certain skill level it becomes nearly impossible for Arranged Team players to have enjoyable games with Random Team players, unless your random team mate is the pro USA player Hitman I suspect that the majority of competitive players in the entire NA/Oceania scene would never lose in an AT stack against an RT stack. Reducing the search times is great but quickly finding lots of pointless games is just as bad as the alternative you posit where you search for a long time and might (but not necessarily) find a pointless game. Implementing a toggle for searching mixed or pure services would allow players to make the choice about what they find acceptable, though if one mode must be picked over the other I’d say the evidence of most competitive players abandoning team games until W3Champions came out is decent evidence that mixed matchmaking was not ideal.

And finally, please consider the game experience for players not living near your data centers in the current system of either ladder or custom games. For the first 16 years of this games existence it was possible for those of us in Australia and New Zealand to play games with each other on ~20 ping but now it’s literally impossible to play without 200+ ping, likewise with the removal of a US East server you have created a difficult situation for players where it was typically seen as a more neutral option, like Europeans v America. Both of these situations could be improved by adding more servers such as you have in other games like Starcraft 2, but if this is infeasible due to cost and technology considerations then I implore you to consider giving us back the ability to host games on our own connections, the situation right now is quite crippling and you can see that even in the tournament scene where the ESL ANZ championship series was forced to delay one night due to connection issues with players getting ~400 ping on the USA servers. I can tell you from personal experience that playing every single game on 200+ ping is slowly draining my will to play a game I’ve loved for nearly two decades, and this happening during the Corona Virus lockdown where we have to cancel every LAN even is doubly frustrating.

Thanks for reading and I hope you consider the impact of these decisions, I believe the highly active community has made it evident how they want these features and systems based on the feedback they’ve already provided via the W3Champions ladder, which has done everything it can to try and enforce region locked server selection and re-enabling arranged team vs arranged team play.

3 Likes

I like the transparency, balance patch on PTR sounds great but then i got to the global matchmaking part … :confused:

You never said you gave us any new servers so you’re putting bumblegum on the problem instead of actually fixing it. I played bnet instead of w3champions yesterday and still got 300 ms games. Not a single person wants to play high latency games. The game is dieng because of this incompetence and the problem gets worse as they’res less players on the server and we keep having split server games.

Not addressing at vs rt is a big deal too. Ladder is nowhere close apparently either. Giving us 0 incentive to play. Thank god for Pad. Really wish you guys would promote his work so i can have people to play

2 Likes

I’m giving it till the ladder update. If they announce that ladder isn’t coming with OCE/LATAM/SEA servers then I’m done. If in 2020 we have to play every region based game with 200+ ping because we can’t even host them now then this game is dead to me.

1 Like

Good to see some communication. Sounds like the desync issue runs deeper than expected, could be a while before that gets truly fixed… Hoping for a re-connection update to allow players who drop to rejoin games but I doubt that’s possible in WC3R. Excited for new online profiles/clans/Ladder (which is overdue but glad they’re addressing it). I’m a little iffy on Global Queue tbh, and am hoping for some editor updates too. Hoping the new MMR changes account for high ping games, and I hope the system works.

Thanks guys!
Best of Luck!

3 Likes

and what’s the point of even having regions in the first place if you’re going to do global matchmaking anyway? The main point of regions is to have less latency and separate the load on the servers (and also of course it helps to be able to speak the same language as your allies). It would just be for custom games then. I could see some regions share matchmaking that are close together like US East and US West, but worldwide might not be ideal.

Anyway sounds like they want to update ranked ladder, but that’s still no excuse for ripping it out of the game without having the new ladder ready. The classic ranked ladder should have served as an interim ladder while they make the new one, and then when the new one is ready just start a new ladder season. No reason for them to rip out Custom Campaigns and Clans either, which sounds like they’ll take even longer to come back.

2 Likes

I don’t, sorry.

2 Likes

I had a brain fart, the original wc3 didn’t have non laddered play did it, for some reason I thought it did. It just had ladder. Yeah ignore my comment, just give us an ability to pick the server we want to play on and an option for “fastest queue/global matchmaking” with your “fixes” if queues get too long.

Oh and you know, give us servers for minor regions so you can stop pretending like you care about us by hosting tournaments in our countries when our own regional qualifiers are played on 200+ ping because we can’t even host the damn games in our countries.

Thinking about it more, the comments worry me. Because if they were just going to fix global matchmaking by implementing region based server selection, why would they need to fix the system? Just have it be global until ladder, then change it, but if they knew they’d do that, they could quite easily just state “we’ll work on it till ladder so you get the best experience till then” but since they haven’t said anything, maybe they still don’t know what they can do for ladder? Maybe they’ll say more in the ladder update, but if that comes out with them saying it’ll stay global matchmaking but they’ll continue to “fix” the matchmaking system, then I don’t see there being any hope for this game going forward.

1 Like

While this developer update is much appreciated they just keep promising things without an estimate time on when they’ll be delivered. Same as the last couple of months. Well there’s still time for the monthly patch, we’ll see I guess.

5 Likes

I can’t believe you. Return my classic id

6 Likes

So they basically said nothing useful at all.

11 Likes