Warcraft III Lore retconning to match WoW is a terrible idea

hey bro i just came here to post about how much i don’t care i really hope you notice how much i don’t care :thinking::open_book::rofl:

If you were dead or still alive
I don’t care, I don’t care
just go and leave this all behind behind
'Cause I swear (I swear)
I don’t care

The old game will always be there, OP. The only thing I don’t like is there’s some big orc brute pretending to be grom or something, with a little chin strip tattoo.

Completelly agree, i am mad that illidan’s model doesnt look like the original with black and golden. The beautiful beautiful eyeband…

Was initially very skeptical about people complaining about the retconn, but given that it effectively throws out any chance for a Warcraft 4 I find myself agreeing now.

Would be very interesting to see some alternative story progression like people are suggesting with classic +.

1 Like

It’s kinda wrong, because retconning some things actually would increase the chance for W4 to happen, not lower it.

It’s one universe and blizzard is doing that for the reason, also it’s not like classic campaign is going anywhere.

1 Like

@DeathlyGod
Preety cool way to kick things off… wouldn’t be bad lore example at all…
As long as there are no lame excuses (as the “fusion” one you mentioned) i think story line can be soooo awesome and logical.

Jaina as a character has been sooo underwhelming in WoW, as one of the best mages atm, she is just in plan B all the time… When subscribers start to unsubscribe, oh well boys, time to return Jaina.

@Khalai

Not exactly the fan of the theory of meeting with Undead such as Sylvanas, one scourge or the other, they are still undead and possible threat.

@Everyone

I personally hope Blizzard does ignore everything they did write after 2005, because, well… good 70% of that stuff is terrible.

The thing about WoW lore to make it more simple to understand should be eyed from (what i believe) this point of view:

1.) It is a different genre of the game, MMORPG, unlike RTS.
2.) It is made from the lore that came from the game which was arguably one of the best games if not the best at that time
3.) Lore is being changed, repeated, butchered as needed only to maintain profit flowing
4.) Warcraft had a campaign RoC and expansion TFT, which were masterpiece. (i will explain in later stages what i believe that)
5.) WoW and Warcraft do indeed have different books and personally i do not think of WoW lore to be written to be added to everything we got with TFT, cause if that is the case, then warcraft 4 will never happen, and all these talks are irrelevant. I do believe Blizzard showing interest (slowly but surely) first by adding new patch to gameplay in WC3, now making it reforged shows to me that they are scouting the terrain to make wc 4 and looking at different approaches.

Lets be honest, if they deeply believe WoW lore makes any sense (lol) and that it should finish the story of Arthas and everything that happened after that, why would they bother asking people for opinion about whether campaign should have few extra missions, or just like “eyes in the forest” peeking at our discussions to see whether it would make sense to make wc4 or not.

The Downfall of WoW is visible to everyone, game cannot simply deliver any more, even the Classic does not fulfull the needs of players, they get tired soon.
They will soon start with return of the Old Gods to the retail storyline.

I think fan theories do matter, and the very stubborness of the people commenting, creating Topics, using Reddit and YT and Twitch… Do show to Blizzard, hey man, we still have preety decent number of people interested in this game, even though we did nothing to encourage that discussion at all… why not have a look and see if there is still some way to enlarge profit. (i may sound boring with profit, but lets be honest… they don’t care about us enjoying, they care about us being commited enough to spend more money, as everything nowadays).

So i think WC3 reforged is purely result of different fan theories, polls and topics about how this game has yet to see its rise once again.

My personal opinion is WoW could’ve been awesome game without mixing lore from wc3 and books and simply butchering them; It could’ve been preety much like Classic, Pandaria with the Mogu and things like that, Old Gods… and many many other things… I think all these famous characters could’ve just been shown as trainers to certain classes (Jaina for mage, Uther for paladins, Sylvanas for UD…etc).

To underline… The books and stories are so deep, so much material to work with… I understand sometimes that WoW tried to enclose some history of races, ancients, old gods and everything… Personally i still sometimes play it, because it is fun game sometimes… But it really bothers me that they use any oportunity they can get to kill of people from pre-wow era.

Wc3 RoC and TFT for me is a masterpiece because as much as it sticks with BL and races, not so much OLD gods and so on, it is still incredibly detailed.

I find it hard to believe someone can tell a story which has 4 points of view (at least 4) and to somehow any time you play certain campaign to feel like that race is actually the one who has a point.
I will probably never grow over it of how quickly we got rid of Cenarius, but well… i guess that was the way to demonstrate the pure strength and corrupness of the orc.
Each and every story and each and every game will have pros and cons, but i do highly believe, there is so much good to write about and to re-do story from WoW into something that actually makes sense, to be as interesting and shocking so we could dicuss it as we do about wc3 so many years later.

I believe wc4 will eventually come out, but i guess our children might have a chance to play it, or us when we are about 40-50 years old… But well… wouldn’t be first nor last gaming dads to be playing, so… if we wait for 20 years or possibly more for something… at least make it good and worth the wait.

ps. Dan & Dave retired from writing new Star Wars trilogy… Hope Blizz doesn’t hire them… xaxa

Salute boys, have a lovely day!

3 Likes

Listen to this guy.

100% agree with you, glad to see there are passionate Warcraft RTS fans out there other than myself, who agree that most of what WoW has added in is trash and should be mostly utterly scrapped if there ever is going to be Warcraft IV.

Blizzard’s decision to scrap any and all story additions to WC3 to have it better fit with WoW’s current narrative was also obviously right decision to make imho and I hope that they likewise listen to the community in regards of Warcraft IV, if they ever decide to make it.

Im really glad that most of us are 100% agreement here that Warcraft IV should one way or another continue the story from WC3: TFT and rewrite the story better fitted for RTS game, without all the restrictions of MMO in terms of storytelling. While the two games share SOME of the same audience, they are also widely different and its clear that most Warcraft III/WC RTS fans here dont give a damn about WoW/think its story is crap and want it to be scrapped in WC IV.

It seems that Reforged team decided to listen to us in regards of keeping the original voice acting (ofc others can claim they were simply lazy), so I hope that they would also listen to us in regards of Warcraft IV if they ever would decide to return Warcraft back to its RTS roots.

3 Likes

I agree with many things you have pointed out here.

I think most of WOW storyline had to be changed due to the fact that playrs only wanted to kill bosses and stuff.

Perhaps the best idea would be to just continue Warcraft 3 where it left off.

RTS and MMORPG are simply different things, and yes, from gameplay point of view I can see actually that some sacrifices need to be make.

BUt Warcraft 3 expansions and Warcraft 4 should continue from Frozen Throne actually, and tell us a story that actually makes sense in RSTS point of view.

1 Like

there are going to be edits made to make the campaign mesh better with WoW one specific example of this that was mentioned is ashenvale will look different from what we remember

Look around what’s happening recently, people are basically asking for wc3 to look more like wow without even caring to understand how much it would damage the RTS game.

it almost feels like people want to play an RPG with these expectations.

Reforged ‘looking too much like WoW’ was already a very hot topic from day 1 in regards to stuff like the Footman, Grunt, Arthas, and Jaina.

Like having a character (or characters) to focus on leveling, equipping, and picking skills for? Kind of like -

Sort of yes. but again what i don’t like about these people is that they just see this game as if it was an RPG. so they’re just flying around wanting Single player content newly added to the game from a Team inside blizzard that isn’t really aiming for anything like this but instead prefer to make Reforged as stable and functional as possible and simply allowing the community take the lead from there.

WHICH IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

man I wish Classic does un-retcon the warcraft lore, like move that Stupid Vault of the Wardens, move those Highmountain Tauren somewhere else, and for the love of god Stratholme is a bayside city with literally functioning ports and harbors like in WC2

Not anymore. Have you played Warcraft 3?

I’m no WoW fanboy and I never subscribed for it, but people seem to forget that WC3 retconned some stuff in WC2 yet they don’t seem to bat an eye on it yet they claim that WoW is not canon

Blizzard’s been retconning things since Warcraft 2. This is nothing new.

Problem is, up until TBC the retcons were actually improvements. They completely lost the plot after that.

1 Like

I really don’t mind the retcons until MoP. At least the Black Temple, Akama, and Stratholme could be brushed off slightly

but the Legion and BFA retcons are the worst

There are only certain bits of lore I liked from modern WoW.

WoD fleshed out the orcish clans a bit more than they were in any of the RTS games.

Legion… actually no screw Legion.

BFA fleshed out the Kul Tirans a bit more and gave them a cool maritime aesthetic befitting their culture.

That’s it, really.

Well, okay. Not really. Pandaria was cool and different but it’s not a location I often go back to because it’s not what I think of when I think of the words “High Fantasy.”