Warcraft iii editor for macs?!

Just got off with customer support and they stated that the WARCRAFT III WORLD EDITOR is only for pcs? How sad? I played that editor when they were on 3.5in disks and it opened my world into software engineering and is literally one of the biggest reasons I became an engineer at Intel. Now my kids want to play with it but its not available on Macs. We have apple products through out the house for obvious security and cloud options.

Would there ever be a future where a world editor like WARACRAFT III could be made for MACS?

1 Like

you mean the editor for warcraft 2 ?? wc3 was only ever on CD not floppy disks

lol is this a marketing spam bot?

ever heard of Parallels for Macs?? I dont know how it works but I just googled “wc3 map editor for Macs” and found something saying it can be run through Parallels, or maybe Bootcamp??

3 Likes

I have always wondered why there is no editor for mac…
Must obviously be for obvious security reasons…^^
Obviously^^

1 Like

sorry , yes Warcraft II. If you don’t have any constructive comments for this thread, please don’t respond.

You can hardly fault people for treating your thread as a troll when it was so poorly written.

4 Likes

In new products yes. But the issue was that World Editor was never really designed to be portable, reliable, e.t.c. It was made as a tool for internal use that they kindly gave out to normal users. Since they used Windows internally, it was only really made to support Windows.

The team behind Reforged did a fantastic job fixing and improving it but still it might not have been enough to make a MacOS port within reach. There are enough issues with the MacOS port of Warcraft III itself, in no short part due to Apple forcing the use of Metal so forcing a set of potential parallel bugs just for their platform. It took the legacy team a good part of a year to fix the terrain overlay bug in Heroes of the Storm on M1 macs.

Between the lower potential user base (most MacOS users do not play games like Warcraft III) and the extra work it just might not make sense to make a MacOS port at this time.

Some people really love the Apple ecosystem. If money is not an object they do deliver on a much more polished user experience than Windows systems. They might not be cutting edge in performance for a lot of tasks but they are still close enough that you do not miss out.

still on CD… try WCI?^^
Anyway, it’s true, those tools were inspiring back them…

If is not an object you can buy a pc machine and install as many games as you like.
Or, on your NASA/FBI stylish Mac you can install 10 virtual machines and run a Windows with WC3 on it. (you can use the other 9 to run boinc and brag about your contribution in saving the world^^)

i support adding an editor for the mac version. maybe they could make a deal with apple so that apple can pay them for it. though they should add it anyway.

A) I dont believe WC1 had a full map editor, it just had a very very simple “random” map generator for 1v1s and thats it

B) WC2 was released on floppy disks for MS-DOS, but I cant remember if that version included the map editor (I dont think it did) if I remember correctly, the original MS-DOS version of WC2 was not released with a map editor. I could be wrong but, I believe I read somewhere that the first-ever WC2 map editor was a mod/hack released by a fan, which Blizzard decided was cool and made it a default feature (with some improvements and balance fixes) when they re-released the game for Windows on CD

Either way, it does not make much sense for somebody to specify using the map editor on “3.5in floppy disks” lol… I know for a fact the wc2 editor was updated over the course of a few years and the best version available was certainly not on the original disk, it was a download because they kept adding more features to it, balancing mods and fixing hacks… and then they Re-re-released the game a 3rd time in 1998 called the Battle.net edition (which I believe had the complete final updates, not counting mods/hacks)

yea, if your into photography or artwork… but not for gaming purposes… lmao if “money is not an issue” then buying an extra PC just for gaming is also not an issue… but the OP is citing “security and cloud” as the reason lol

thats a good one lol!

I am the ONLY one in this thread who actually suggested using Parallel or Bootcamp, and u say IM the one who’s not being constructive?? Lmao good luck finding a better answer than mine :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, it never had a publically available one - there was one guy, BJ Pollard, that reverse-engineered the map format and made an editor for it, called WARCEDIT.

What kept Blizzard afloat through all these years and was never publicly recognized^^

i got the original version of warcraft 2 myself and it came with a map editor but, the editor did not work in dos. the editor required windows. even the demos of warcraft 2 had a map editor, though it was not very useful, because they did not have custom. people could work on maps but never use them ingame. wierd but true. the original editor had a few limitations. it could not edit upgraded units like the ranger and berserker. warcraft 2 was the first pc game i purchased, though i did not have the hardware to run it until later. warcraft 1 never had an official map editor.

I had WC2 I guess in 98 (something like that) and had a map editor that was working on Windows 95, but honestly the memories are a bit shady^^

i got warcraft 2 years before that. think my family got a pc that could run it in 1996, though i purchased it before that and played it at school and when visiting friends. my grandmother took over that pc and gave it to me and i still have it. i only discovered the editor after i started using windows 95.

We want Eazy!!!

There was a working version of the war3 map editor on mac, but it wasn’t compatible with intel macs. Blizzard just never updated it to work on them.