Warcraft 3 Reforged Modeling software?

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows what modeling software Warcraft 3 Reforged is using. The models are pretty detailed in my opinion. I’ve read online about them using 3rd party software’s such as maya, blender, and 3ds max for classic warcraft 3 but not really a set answer. I also saw online that blizz was going release there own modeling software with the editor for warcraft 3 reforged but I guess that isnt correct because I do not see the software they used anywhere in the files of warcraft 3 reforged. I’d really like to know what they used so I could make more models such as the Scarlet Crusade models what not to post them on the hive so other players can use them in there editor to make there own missions.

1 Like

They were supposed to release the software as a way of saying thanks to the custom modding community for keeping the game alive (Blizzcon, 2018). Apparently, that got cut too.

3 Likes

yeah instead they use the modding community to sell and advertise their game and tell the community blizzard owns the custom map work they collectively put tens of thousands of hours into creating for fans.

Come play warcraft 3 reforged with millions of fan created maps that we just bricked wc3 classic to give you.

3 Likes

So as far as we know this information is now false and we will not be having any support from blizz for the modding community? Damn thats just such a let down. When i saw this game go live I was really pumped, thinking blizz at least is going to do this game right but i guess i get slapped in the face again oh well. thanks for letting me know my dude

1 Like

The models were not made by Blizzard themselves but by Lemon Sky Studios. According to their Website they use Autodesk Maya and Z-Brush for it.

2 Likes

sorry for the less helpful post above, Hiveworkshop is probably the place to be for the latest word on all things map making wc3 reforged or otherwise. I’d check over there.

I checked already most of the information is what we know so far and it isnt much to go off yet. Im sure we’ll all get some more information soon as to why certain things were cut and so on…hopefully

Check back in a few years. Blizzard couldn’t even keep the tools for SC2 up to date.

Im surprised they used another 3rd party again instead of making their own models

LSS is from Malaysia, so it’s most likely a cost thing. Workforce there is cheaper than in California.

It is too early to say that this was scrapped already. The development tools releasing a few months after the game comes out is pretty common occurrence.

Kingdom Come Deliverance took over a year to release theirs, Bethesda games always release theirs like 3 - 4 months after the game comes out, there is still a chance Blizzard will release theirs assuming they do not drop the game due to backlash

1 Like

At this point activision-blizzard is getting so much backlash I dont see why they dont open there eyes and stop going the cheap way out. Its not working.

There has clearly been a lot of mis-information here.

First of Blizzard could never share the modeling software even if they modeled everything them self because the software they would use to do that like maya and zbrush or 3D max (for the old warcraft) is made and owned by other companies and cost thousands of dollars per license… I would know I use it every day at work. These are industry standard tools across gaming and VFX and that is why everyone uses it.

The world editor is not a fully equipped 3D modeling tool in more of a game engine editor which is something completely different.

If Blizzard promised some sort of modeling tool it would be a model editor like changing colours or swapping out pre modeled parts like in Sims or making things bigger and smaller or thinner and fatter. They would never make and share a full 3D model package that is not their business.

Well, they did say they would release some sort of model editors. They didn’t say what exactly they would be, but nonetheless. And yeah, my guess is they planned to implement some kind of simple model editor into the World Editor, because obviously they couldn’t give access to Maya for everyone. Another possibility would be that they had given some plug-ins for Maya so people, who already had the software, could easily make same kind of models as Blizzard (or Lemon Sky) made.

Yes. I haven’t been keeping the list up-to-date since like 90% of the stuff got scrapped anyway. I could maybe turn to a list of “Things we were promised, but didn’t get”, but nah…

1 Like