Very low fps in game W3 classic mode

Hello friends, i have the issue with reforged. I play on classical graphics, however my fps drops to 15/20 and it is unplayable. I also have the latest drivers. My PC is with 16GB RAM and 3GB NVidia Geforce 555M Graphics. I tried everything - reinstalling W3, even reinstalled windows, but nothing helped.

Is this playing the campaign/melee? Or when playing custom maps? Some custom maps just will perform badly, especially on mobile hardware as not all custom map authors are good at or focus on optimization.

Since you say your frame rate drops, does this mean that it starts out fine? If so then this could be a sign of thermal throttling. Look at the CPU and GPU temperatures. If they are very high and there is a noticeable reduction in clock speed then this is a sign of thermal throttling. You can also use tools like CPUz and GPUz to help detect this.

Make sure you play when the device is plugged in so that it can operate with optimal power limits. Also make sure that when playing the power management settings are set to maximum performance or balanced and not to energy saving or battery life as those will limit clock speed.

Some laptops may enter a safe “slow” mode if their battery is detected as degraded. In this mode both CPU and GPU are locked to a minimum processing speed. I only know of Apple laptops having this mechanism but it could explain low clock frequencies if that is an issue.

yes i have laptop. it is dell, old model 2010. I have set the power management options to high performance , still i make one game with normal fps and then it drops again to 10 fps… i tried everything but nothing helps ! Does anyone have the same problem ? is this from warcraft 3 or is it my system ?

I have the same experience. When I play Reforged with W3 Classic graphics, I got like 1-2fps. but when I play classic W3 TFT, it’s like 50-70fps normal. Where is the problem?

Given the age of the laptop this could be a graphic driver problem that might not be resolvable. Warcraft III moved from D3D8 to D3D11 so even if classic graphics worked fine in the past they are now using a completely different graphics API and as such part of the graphic driver. It is also possible the developers have optimised WC3 towards more modern hardware, especially to support more demanding Reforged graphics, so I would not be surprised if there have been performance regressions on older hardware that was made for older APIs.

If this happens between games it could point towards a memory management issue. Such as a discrete GPU running out of video memory and so being forced to swap with system memory very inefficiently. This could again be a case of optimisations aimed at newer GPUs since modern GPUs have a lot more video memory available so features like low resolution textures for classic graphics have been removed.

I recommend making your own thread about this issue rather than resurrecting a 1 year old thread. Information such as your dxdiag might be useful in case it is hardware related.