Unable to initialize graphics. Please ensure your operating system and display drivers are up to date

Hello - since the release of Reforged, I haven’t been able to play classic WC3…and I get this message

Warcraft III Error
Unable to initialize graphics. Please ensure your operating system and display drivers are up to date.

I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve reinstalled twice. Tried to find some graphics settings and couldn’t. Forgive me if this has been resolved and if so, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you

I suggest posting your dxdiag listing so that people have some idea of your hardware.

If you own Reforged then Warcraft III may try to initially load with Reforged graphics which may not be supported by weaker hardware. In this case you might have to manually modify the settings file to make Warcraft III load with Classic graphics.

Thanks DrSuperGood.

macOS High Sierra
Macbook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

I’m not interested in Reforged and don’t own it. I’m just looking to continue playing Warcraft 3. Like I said, before this release I could play WC3 with no problems at all. Reforged release and it’s screwed things up somehow.

Thanks in advance!

The system requirements have changed with the Reforged release for Classic as well, please check the system requirements here. The Intel HD Graphics 3000 is no longer supported as it does not support Metal API.

While the system was running Classic before, it’s not guaranteed to run the game as it becomes more and more compatible with modern systems. With macs this may come a bit quicker as the old OpenGL is being phased out. If you have any suggestions or feedback about these changes, please head to the #general-discussion forums.

Well…that’s unacceptable. Rubbish I say.

Is there a way to get some sort of compensation, since I can no longer play a game that ran perfectly fine prior to Reforged?

GlobalMutiny,

Since the game came out, we have only ever supported the most modern patch for it. In this case, Warcraft Reforged functions like a patch. Over time, software and hardware changes will occur which may eventually cause machines that were once supported to no longer be supported. This is why our system requirements pages call this out.

While I entirely understand that your particular system being caught up in this is disheartening, we don’t provide compensation for changes of system requirements. Your best bet if you want to continue playing would be to try playing on a supported computer instead. If you have feedback for the game itself, you’d want to put that on the General Discussion forums.

That’s unfortunate…and yes, disheartening. I must have overlooked that detail about system requirements changing over time. Oh well…it’ll be a while before I can afford a new system to play. Thank you for the explanation.

Absolutely, and I appreciate your understanding. Whatever you do choose to do from here, best of luck with it. I know upgrades aren’t always in the budget immediately, but if you do end up with a supported system and have any sorts of tech troubles, you’re more than welcome to pop into the forums again or reach out to support. We’re always happy to give these things a look either way.

That is, with these words you actually confirm that in the future will there already be a fix that will add the visual level shown to us in the demo version on Con 18? When will you add that very visual post-processing? Fix that will add the visual level shown to us in the demo version on Con 18? When will you add that very visual post-processing! Where is the lighting?

I have just ran into same trouble extremely disappointing especially since we are on 4 week lock down and its day 2 damnit!
bloody cvoid-19

if i ran same computer on virtual pc would it work?
or is it more the graphics card

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.