Tyrande's lack of inventory

As long as they at least make War3Mod.mpq work eventually, then modders will just fix the campaign maps themselves and so at least people ‘in the know’ will be able to play the campaign fully functionally, as it’s possible to use War3Mod.mpq to fully replace the original campaign maps.

Retera’s description about how the Inventory (Hero) ability wasn’t added until later also explains something I noticed way back in 2011. I had extracted NE3 ‘The Awakening of Stormrage’ from the mpq, opened it in world edit, made a path to the Undead base and then saved it and replaced the original in the MPQ. It loaded fine, but I too noticed the guardian spirits dropped their orbs at the start and wondered wtf that was. I figured it was probably some kind of difference in the underlying dataset from 2002 vs 2011 but I never found out what. Interesting to finally know the explanation. Funny thing is, as Aesis Gaming revealed on youtube, you don’t even need a path to the Undead base to destroy it, you can just teleport there with a tree of life exploit! And this was possible in the original game all along.

Blizzard might’ve saved themselves a lot of trouble if they’d made all the edits to the campaign maps they needed to using the original 2002 and 2003 editor versions.

edit: damn, I should’ve waited another day, so it would say ‘28 DAYS LATER’, that’s the optimal number of days.

Well, the problem still exist in the game and Blizz does nothing about it.
Also I played NE campaing just a few minutes ago and in 3rd mission game did not gave me items from previous missions.

1 Like

Maybe somebody could use the campaign editor to just make a campaign file that does this correctly if this stuff is still a problem?

I get the impression Blizzard has people hard at work on the Reforged campaign, but it is probably different enough that they don’t want to bother editing these older maps.

I told William it would be cool if he changed the World Editor so that it auto fixed these old maps upon opening them, to stop the corruption of inventories on old maps whenever you open and save them. He said he would not because it creates spaghetti code. Really he may also have been indicating he was busy with other stuff. Sometimes I’m honored he spends the time to reply to me at all; there are days I shoot in requests for pie in the sky types of things.

If I ever rewrite the editor or make my own serious branch of HiveWE, I will want to fearlessly make it a glorious spaghetti monster and make it able to add the inventory ability back to heroes older than a certain cutoff. The problem is, I’m not even sure HiveWE has an object editor yet. Also, my primary coding language has been Java. But I may yet eventually attempt to make a Java replica of HiveWE stuff to see how far I can get and whether it would be a useful tool.

3 Likes

Hey there, Retera!

Hi man, what’s up?

1 Like

It is cool and okay.

I keep working on Warcraft III Text Project since it looks like God keeps giving me new ideas for the Demon, Naga, and Corrupted races. It is improving like crazy.

2020 still not fixed

Still not fixed

I got the same issue… I play campaign once in a while to reminisce of simpler times, so this bugs me a LOT.

This is got to be a joke, This bug existed for over 8 months and still not addressed in any patch? What the heck?

1 Like

This was a bug with classic wow too…

And later, when you play your mission as Illidan, he too drops his inventory after transformation. <.<

1 Like

With the latest patch Tyrande has got her inventory back in the second mission

1 Like

Sadly, in the latest patch, Illidan lost his as soon as he transformed again…

I think they can fix it next patch, we just need to keep asking.