Thoughts on Crypt Lord Rework? (Updated) August 2019

It is worth noting that due to how the new Unholy Frenzy works one can cast it on beetles to give your units Unholy Frenzy. Now the Necromancer could do this on summoned Skeletons, however those have finite duration of life and to be present from the start in combat one needs an upgraded Meat Wagon and likely more necromancers due to the higher mana usage. This sort of interaction was mentioned in the patch notes.

If mana is a big problem with him then maybe reducing the mana cost of Carrion Beetle would help.

2 Likes

You see beetles practically are useless and need to go.

Lets take into considering the sad reality.

CL is first of all usually picked 3rd and maybe 2nd once in awhile.

This mean he needs 5 lvls to get beetles lvl 3. Now how oftwn does this happen?

As 1 lvl is always into impale I believe and without spiked carapace he is squishy (low hp)

For tht reason he picked third.

AND by the time he is picked (for aguements sake as a 2nd) not 3rd enemy is almost if not tier 2.

Making stronger units vs trash beetles.

Beetles have the ghoul problem. Low hp and no magic resistance.

AND terrible pathfinding which doesnt help.

Thats why I suggest corroding Aura instead. Even with 2 lvls at lvl 5 gives CL importance and he can spread his abilities.

Beetles usually die way too fast before having impact. (See above Boganov89 post) no point of giving a beetle spiked plus hp.

Magic aoe very strong and ranges will melt before they get close.

Unless you want to create one strategy like with POTM like mass archer build.

If your idea is taken then this is only valid strat.

Mass ghoul + quick jungle to beetle 3.

End undead rush style with tanky beetles.

Idkk bout my CL baby having tht style of game…

With new corrode aura CL is threat even before 6 at mid-late game as he does hp% does more dmg to tier 3 units and tankier units.

Now he has a reason to be picked against lets say MG mass. Especially if he gets new 6 (OH BOY

2 Likes

For the sake of this thread im going to test stronger beetles and buffed (hp/mana) in World Editor and report my findings.

After testing I found the following:

Beetles at lvl 3 are basically equivalent to a maxed out ghoul but are one hit weaker.

Still usually a third pick CL never gets to lvl 5 (rarily) usually levels used for stun.

I buffed Locust Swarm by having 1 more locust and faster attack rate of the spell from 0.2 to 0.1 and buffed locus hp steal from 20 to 50.

The result was basically Death Prophet ulti from DOTA 2. Not bad pretty good

Impale stun duration I increased but found retarded because (like above) units are invulnerable.

Beetles would need spiked carapace or magic resistance buff like 40%
Sometimes pathfinding give me heaache.

CL having mana regen higher is better than more mana pool.

Reducing CD of Ulti creates better impact (180scs - 120scs) found new ulti does high dmg to solo target but in base fights really low dmg.

So cooldown reduction would be nice.

4 Likes

But how would a stronger hp and tankier CL work with DK or DL.

Both have good aura and DK has big heal.

I think if balanced wrong CL becomes way too tanky.

But if CL has corrode aura then hes strong tier.

Otherwise he will be ignored in fights.

Plus now human have new orb.

It very hard to go with Crypt Lord as a first hero and use beetles (summons) to creep and get some dominance.

First of all you need corpses, which require time to be generated by the graveyard: 15 seconds per corpse. Graveyard itself takes 80 seconds to build.

Second, there is 6 seconds cooldown per beetle. So once the Crypt Lord is out, to summon five level 1 beetles, you have to wait a lot. Not good at all.

Conclusion: beetles have to be reworked.

2 Likes

I love how that’s ALSO another FACTOR of why Crypt Lord is TRASH.

Are we also forgetting that Crypt Lord Locust Swarm also misses targets who move out of the way!

The list keeps growing.

well…it’s a space-creating ultimate…and moving out of the space is the way to avoid taking damage…just like starfall.

crypt lord isn’t trash, DK is just too important a hero to start with. unless you can add the amount of healing a dk does to another ud hero, i don’t see crypt lord first ever being better.

3 Likes

Buddy didnt even read the post…

Lmao Starfall cant even be compared to Locust Swarm. Because Starfall actually does aoe dmg thats noticeable.

Crypt Lord Swarm is easily healed especially vs well any race like orc shadow hunter.

CL isn’t bad.
The other options are just better which is not CL’s fault.

The only thing that should be fixed is impale invul and making impale work on webbed/snared units.

2 Likes

they can’t be compared because they’re two completely different types of spells. the locust swarm plays into the crypt lord’s bulky strength based hero type to make him harder to kill…it heals him, not supposed to be a flat dps ultimate…please tell me you understand that. so yeah

1 Like

It lasts 30 seconds.

Its not even that much of a heal unless you hit enemy units.

Who stands in a locust swarm?

Plus it trails behind CL not on him mking it worse when chasing.

My biggest request right now is the stun fix with its stupid mini invunervability buff.

Then its beetle as a whole.

Carapace and Locust swarm are more of eequests

Remove the invulnerability given to enemy units during Impale and perhaps make its AOE wider.
Also let Impale stun/damage units that are ensnared/webbed/entangled (right now it can’t).

Increase CL mana pool or decrease all mana costs on his spells.

CL armor passive should provide % based damage reduction, and perhaps give 2/4/6 HP regen per sec to CLord.
With the Ring of Protection buff in 1.31 CL passive became even worse compared to what you can find on even the lowest lvl creeps.

Crypt Lord ultimate needs some buffs but it sees so little use that its almost a mystery how well it performs at high skill levels.

The beetles are just hopeless honestly.
Pathetic health, awful damage, no useful abilities, needs a corpse and costs a lot of mana to respawn beetles (for a CL mana pool).
Easily killed by dispel and spells which makes them just feed EXP.
The beetles are like ghouls (which are awful) but even slower and worse at lvl1 and 2.

Every other summon in the game serves a clear purpose but the beetles are awful at everything.

2 Likes

I love how u said Ulti is a mystery.

To this day I dont know what it really does lmao.

Tooltip so bad.

I just know heals.

The rate of locust attacks, hp steal, and whatever else is going on isnt even there.

No can argue but lvl 1 Beetle is HOT TRASH.

7-8 dmg and like 140 hp armor 2 ??? What is 8 dmg and 140 hp?

making beetles any stronger at lvl 1 would make them the best summoned unit in the game at lvl 1.

low mana cost, permanent, 5 of them? like what?

Buddy read the post.

They feed exp and are ultra weak.

Where u getting those 5 corpses?

CL needs xp.
Beetles are good for creeping.
Corpses are acquired from graveyard, slain creeps or critters.

His ult is like A or B tier btw.
One of the few damage ults that aren’t channeling.
Heals at end of duration, which is good for a damage sponge like CL.

Nothing bad about this hero really, good third pick.
It’s just UD being UD.

3 Likes

When you realize that nothing u said will ever be changed.

*sigh

need upgrade cryptlord

1 Like

no beetles are not good for creeping their garbage why would you do that they have 180 hp with 8 max damage. when you have rod of nercomancy. hero is poorly designed

1 Like

That is exactly what this entire thread is about.

Welcome to our Cult.