They Stole my WC3!

So i owned WC3 original but now this Remake was forced on us and now i can not even Download my Original copy of WC3 i am FORCED to buy the remake! i repeat FORCED to buy the remake to play a game i bought YEARS ago if i want to play it again! WTF Blizzard! what are you thinking! you are becoming just like if not WORSE than EA! I will NEVER buy your WC Remake i will Never buy another game that you make! i am Threw with Your Bull crap Blizzard you are crashing and burning.

27 Likes

I’d say you put the CD in the drive to install, but I’ll admit most people probably don’t have an optical drive anymore. But older clients still work, not a lot of effort to find them…it’s Battlenet you have to replace.

The PTR is another method of playing the original client.

1 Like

Check this out, there are links for the classic version: Some Community Fixes

1 Like

You’re not.

There are two modes in the new game client: Classic and Reforged. If you own the original game, you can play the Classic mode without further purchase. Only the new Reforged content needs to be purchased.

1 Like

Your original RoC CD key will still let you play. That is how a lot of people still play Warcraft III since version 1.32.

Link your CD-Key to your Bnet account.

Which is buggy and not recommended. Who knows it’ll still be around and have a Bnet working?

This forum is retarded. Bnet with a dot between B and net is considered a link…

Forced to download 30gbs?

1 Like

Context, deepstrasz.

What I posted was in response to being forced to purchase. The OP never said anything about file sizes.

In all fairness.

Applies to Reforged too.

1 Like

Yes, people are complaining about nothing, I’m sure. Naive or disingenuous, pick one. There is no other answer. It’s something you perform well in order to follow such logic.

2 Likes

Sorry Ocelot, but the only answers are not limited to what’s in your head. And just like deepstrasz attempted above, stick to the words on the page. Don’t add that which isn’t there to conveniently fit your personal narrative.

The OP’s complaint was indeed not nothing. In fact, it was very specific, that they are being forced to repurchase the game, nothing more. They are not. Just as I said, nothing more.

The old clients from before 1.30 don’t work properly. In particular the pre-rendered cinematics will not render right at all and trying to skip them just causes the whole game to freeze on a black screen that makes you have to restart the computer.

Unfortunately every game version after 1.29 asks you to update to 1.32. So no thanks. Not about to do that, and downloading a PTR client isn’t a valid answer either since once that client is replaced with a PTR for Reforged it’ll be tantamount to piracy.

Face it guys… Warcraft 3 is dead. Long live the last good game Blizzard ever made.

4 Likes

They didn’t steal your WC3.

You never owned it, you were just granted access to it.

All game companies include this in their EULA and ToS, which no one ever reads apparently.

1. You are granted access to their service, but you do not have the right to anything.
  2. Your account can at any time for any reason be suspended.
  3. The service can at any time and for any reason be suspended.
  4. You are not entitled to anything (well it’s not worded like this, but that’s the meaning of it).

I mean facepalm. If people actually read ToS and EULA they would know that those are basically put in place to take away all the rights you actually have, which you happily give up to play without even reading it, questioning it or refuse it - well, refusing it would just mean no game for you, so clever.

Blizzard has been extremely kind to players all these years and let you continue to play the game even though it would have been shut down many years ago were it any other game company - it has quite simply been a huge drain on their resources to keep active all these years with no profits to be had.

1 Like

In particular the pre-rendered cinematics will not render right at all and trying to skip them just causes the whole game to freeze […]

Maybe a problem with your particular client? Cinematics run fine for me on 1.30.4.

Unfortunately every game version after 1.29 asks you to update to 1.32

No, they do not. You are only asked to update if you try to use BNET.

downloading a PTR

PTR is buggy mess. And you don’t need it, when there are stable versions of patches 1.31, 1.30, 1.29, and older, out there.

1 Like

I’ll just repeat what I said in another thread:

Wrong. A game is not a service. What you are sold is a product. Goods. The copy, that you’ve bought is yours permanently. You do not own the rights to the brand itself, and thus, have no right to distribute the product yourself. (Although, exceptions may apply here, if you sell/gift the product in a way, that it’s removed from you, given to another).

But other than that, the particular copy you purchased belongs to you, and nobody can lawfully take it away. In most cases, companies actually have no way to take away that game, anyways.

Even talking about Warcraft 3 - original Warcraft 3 did not need constant connection to BNET, and thus, Blizzard cannot take it away. People, who had backups of original game folder (or simply did not update), still have the original.

Really, the only thing Blizzard fully owns, and can prevent you from using, is BNET. Seeing as Reforged needs it constantly, though, that gives Blizzard control over the game itself, too. However, this in itself, is fraud. For again, a game is not a service. It’s a goods, that is sold with perpetual license. If it is not perpetual, the company has to make sure to notify the potential buyers of that.

In the end, ToS is not God’s word. No ToS can break the laws, human rights, etc. And Blizzard’s ToS, in particular, are ridiculous. Even if, with Reforged, somebody DID decide to make another Dota, and Blizzard sued them, Blizz would never win the case, for their ToS are unenforceable - you cannot claim ownership of ideas, even if those ideas were realized on your platform.

Also, while Blizzard owns the Editor, it cannot lawfully claim ownership of other peoples’ content created with the Editor. Because otherwise, it would mean, that Warcraft players/modders are working for Blizzard. And that brings further legal problems.

4 Likes

They do work, you just have to install the right codecs. But we have already had this conversation.

I read that the PTR was changed to Reforged with a recent update.

Where are these stable versions of 1.29 1.30 1.31 that you speak of?

1 Like

Do some searching mate. Shouldn’t be hard to find.