"There's no lan mode"

While you lie that there’s no offline mode, that’s temporary and blá bla bla, wich are all lies, i play offline mode. You guys are dishonest. Why can’t you tell people the truth?

1 Like

I have to turn off my internet? Are you serious? I click log out and expect lan game. I don’t have to disable my internet to force the damn game play on my pc. This is just terrible experience.

3 Likes

Like I said, a box of rocks.

3 Likes

That’s only for the Reforged part. The base game (Classic mode) isn’t behind the DRM.

You don’t. Clicking Log out does the same thing for playing LAN games.

Looks like you haven’t read what i wrote. If I press log out and join the game via lan, when the game is started I’m put on a remote server with high ping. And the ping is real because I can feel the delay.

1 Like

I did read it.

That ping that everyone is getting hung up on is highly suspect. Even if you disconnect from the internet completely, that “ping” is there, which isn’t possible.

Also, I set up a LAN game between two instances of the client on the same computer, meaning there was no network at all between them. In the lobby, the ping indicator showed a single red bar, and in the game there was the ping, despite there being nothing to ping.

And in all those permutations, the ping was always in the same range. Meaning, offline and physically disconnected, combined with separate computers on a network and a solitary computer… they all had the same ping values. Thus none of it can be trusted as real.

Besides, like Starcraft 1, all WC3 games are client to client, meaning no central servers facilitating the matches. The only thing the servers do is authenticate and pair up players. If there’s no central server running the multiplayer games, there certainly wouldn’t be one for single player games.

Ye but they’re is a delay when moving the units…

Input delays and latency aren’t always mutually inclusive. For example, FPS can contribute to input delay as well.

I don’t experience any input delays. So it can’t be something that’s universal, but rather local.

Well we ran 1.31 in LAN and there was no delay.

1.31 was a completely different client with different system spec requirements.

I didn’t experience any delays, but I think that the game still acts like you are online? Cheats don’t work and you can’t save either.

1 Like

Indeed. The way they have it coded, those options mimic the online games.

1 Like

There is an official button, right next tot he “exit game” button. However, nobody would expect the game requiring to open another main menu from the main menu, or the “logout” button to be actually switching you to offline mode.

1 Like

It doesn’t need to be. It’s just one game list, and it works whether you’re online or not, the only difference is you’re not seeing games that come from outside your network if you’re offline. I think the fact that versus gets grayed out while custom games remain avialable is enough of a clue. I suppose for the pedantic out there, they could relabel the button “Custom/LAN games”. But that might confuse people who don’t know what lan play is because its not as common as it used to be.

Except people would expect this, becuase playing online is the default. Most people are connected to the internet most of the time by default, and by default the game automatically logs you in to battle.net for your convenience, since it is assumed that you would want to do so since you have an internet connection. And this is true of most people most of the time. And that’s what defaults are based on- what most people do most of the time.

People would expect “logout” to log you out of your account, and show you a log-in form, or a profile and server selection. Just like how it works everywhere else.

In Steam, for instance, when you click “logout”, you don’t go offline, but you lose access to your account and all games and have to login again to regain access. It works the same way in the Battle.net app. In world of Warcraft, you get to the profile list where you can also choose another server.

I do not quite understand why you are so actively protecting such a horrid approach to design? Look at original WCIII menu. It has three clear designations: Singleplayer, Battle.NET and LAN. And in each menu you get appropriate options to pick from (or get dropped directly to game creation submenu). This is a logical;y sound system that avoids any issues or misconceptions, it clearly indicates what you can and cannot do. When you luanch refirged you get a set of unobvious and unclear options, plus settings menu is extended with an unnecessary submenu and dragged to the bottom of the screen. This is counter-intuitive and really, really bad from design standpoint. Is LAN underutilized these days? yes. Does it mean this functionality should be hidden away from even being able to understand it actually exists? Of course not! Defending this is like defending a fridge that has a fresh zone, but to access it you must open a hidden panel inside freeze chamber.

That’s cool. And that’s why if a function exists it has to be - by default - clearly marked in order to avoid confusion - by default. it’s what most of people - by default - expect to see from any software they install - by default.

1 Like

They changed the button label between online and offline modes. When online, it reads “Custom Games”. When offline, it reads “Local Area Network”. That will make finding it a little easier.

I really want to know just how often you don’t actually have an internet connection. You seem to be quite active on this forum which suggests to me you have one pretty often if not all the time, so I really don’t comprehend why this is an issue.

That’s what happens? I’m not sure what your point is. If you’re not logged in, the game isn’t online. Would any normal person expect it to be? Seems intuitive enough to me.

If you launch the game outside of the battle.net client (or it’s offline at the time), the game starts right up with the login prompt btw, with a “play offline” button should you desire not to log in.

Because it’s not a “horrid approach to design.” Other than lacking an indicator or a warning message (i.e. having the custom game list say “only showing games on your local network”, or perhaps changing the custom game button to say “LAN Games” instead. These are purely text changes that makes things more obvious easily), there’s nothing wrong with it. it works, simply and seamlessly. They efficiently reuse the same interface to show you games whether you’re online or not. All they need is an indicator in that interface to whether it’s shoiwng local or online games. You don’t need seperate modes for this. Why duplicate menus and interfaces when you don’t need to?

I’m not a MENSA genious, and I figured it out easily enough.
Just change the custom game button to say LAN Games when you’re offline, and even a rock should be able to figure it out. There’s nothing wrong with the design, only the labeling.

Not to minimize anyone who does this, but probably the reason they overlooked this clarity issue is the simple fact that most gamers have internet most of the time and LAN modes are increasingly rare in the modern gaming universe because even at LAN parties, there is often an internet connection avialable. While I fully support it being a thing, I think that kind of an oversight by a modern game developer is understandable.

I do hope next time you buy a car there’ll be an unlabeled self-destruct button. Then you’ll complain about it and I’ll be able to say “There’s nothing to complain, it’s just some labeling issues. I guess they overlooked it because most people don’t want to self-destruct their cars”. Seriously, if you like the game the way it is - like it as much as you want, but currently what you are saying is: yea, the design is fine, all they did is just violate all the basic principles of UI design, that’s it, there’s nothing to complain about.

1 Like

your ridiculous hyperbole does nothing to strengthen your argument. It is a minor oversight, nothing like having an unlabeled big red button that controls a self destruct.

All you need to know is that its a thing and then it’s perfectly fine and intuitive.

And quite frankly, once people know it’s a thing the labeling isnt even necessary anymore.

One button for two functions that are identical save for the scope of the games they list is efficient design. All that is needed is some clarity that can be provided by some extraordinarily simple text changes. Not that i need it personally, because its pretty obvious that if the game isn’t online, that it’s not going to list online games in the custom game list.