Teaser Cinematic is the only one being reworked

Guys, the link is not pointing anything like “no, we won’t remaster other ingame cinematics” etc. It just says something like “at the moment, the team is on opening cinematic” etc. That’s it.

On the other side, is it so hard to remaster all Warcraft III cinematics in 1 year? It’s difficult for sure but highly possible. They released 3 cinematics for WoW in 1 year and each of them were about 4 minutes:

• Battle for Azeroth Intro
  • Old Soldier (Saurfang Cinematic)
  • Lost Honor (Saurfang 2nd Cinematic)

What does it mean? Yes, they can easily handle all of Warcraft III cinematics. Voice data, concept etc. all are ready anyway. All they need to do is, changing graphics/visual art.

It’s Blizzard guys, not some random game company. I believe they will remaster all of the cinematics. I mean, who wouldn’t like to see Death of Hellscream cinematic with new art design and 4k? If they remaster only intro and keep the other cinematics as they were back in Warcraft III but just increase thier resolution, it would look hilarious and i don’t think Blizzard is such an amateur game company.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure they scale them up to 4K and then go through them like pixel to pixel and edit, i.e. remaster them. They could even remake small parts of them, like I hope they do something to Thrall’s face in ‘Thrall’s vision’. But I just don’t think they can remake every one of them totally from the ground up, given the time frame.

If you watch the gaminformer interview, Jeff Chamberlain says they will not be remaking the rest of the cinematics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgndut9nY0Q

I’m really dissapointed by this, i was expecting them to remake every cinematics (and honestly that what we though when we saw the announcement cinematic, and I imagine it’s the same for you) even if we were to wait one more year or two, it will be worth it for everyone, we get a better game overall, and they get more time to work on it, polish it, and since the feedback will be better, Activision Blizzard will recieve more revenue than if they release Warcraft 3: Reforged with only the remastered cinematics. If that ain’t possible (mostly due to greedy investors or Activision) at least, give us the option to change the voice acting of the cinematics (for the cinematics with Arthas, Grommash and Illidan (especially Illidan) ).
But in all seriousness, I think they should remake every cinematics, even if it takes one or two more years of developpement.

2 Likes

Oh wow. I hope they change mind because it’s a terrible idea. I mean intro remastered, ingame stuff remastered but they keep the old art for the rest of the cinematics? That is like a joke. It’s like you design a perfect Mustang car but it has only 3 wheels.

Blizzard has two options here for preventing the catastrophic failure:

1. Delay the release date and work on the all other cinematics and remaster them,

2. Use ingame engine for rest of the cinematics and make them like cutscenes.

1 Like

are you sure about that, are you sure a game (an interactive form of media) will fail because of cinematics (non-interactive media)

It would mostly be seen as a dissapointing mistake from their end, who didn’t expected their players to want and payed for an actual remake of Warcraft 3, not a remastered version of the game : (

4 Likes

Add me to the list of ‘disappointed to find out not all the prerendered cinematics are getting the reforged treatment’. I understand it’s more work, but I would love to see all the cinematics get the same love and attention that the intro cinematic did. That intro looks incredible now, and the others should get the same treatment.

5 Likes

Some ppl make some really good points here than considering WoW BfA has now nearly 15 minutes of CGI cinematics created from scratch, Warcraft III: RoC and TFT had (excluding the already remastered intro cinematic) 24 minutes of it and they would have not have been had to be created entirely from scratch in sense of directing and planning how the scenes play out.

I understand that for remake of old game it simply might not be worth the effort to go and remaster these CGI cinematics, but since they were going to do it with all the ingame cutscenes anyway (instead of having them play out exactly as they were with just new visuals), why not go all the way and do the CG-cinematics as well =/…now its left somewhere in between and that just feels stupid as others have pointed out. If Blizzard really wanted to do it, they would have the resources and people to do it, but I quess here the question comes in again the statement “its not worth the money/effort”…

5 Likes

In-game cutscenes use the engine and assets. The full blown cinematics would have to be remade from scratch, save for some initial concepting. The storyboarding and writing’s all done, sure. But there’s still such a tremendous amount to be done even without that.

1 Like

I’m positive they will remake the cinematics, otherwise with the character recreations, they would look out of place… 95% new cinematics will be implemented, we have to remember this is not just the trailer, this is actually the first scene of the game, an introduction to what’s going on

Well, since the Warcraft 3 ofter look this forum and social medias, and the warcraft subreddits, I hope they won’t commit the mistake of just remastering the old cinematics, they just woudn’t feel right, they would feel clunky compared to the newer cinematic.

1 Like

What do you mean by remastering them?.
I think they are going to be made from the ground up

Frankly, I like the misty/pixelly look of the old cinematics. It makes them look much more fairy tale like.

I remember back when I saw the cinematic where Arthas kills his dad for the first time, and I thought it was a Final Fantasy cinematic. And honestly, I would hate if that look goes away, that dream-like, fairy tal-esque cineastic experience.

1 Like

Remaster : Reusing an already done work and increasing it’s overall quality and avoid creating new assets but they can create custom assets if necessary

Remake : Redoing something from the ground up, it can however borrow or use various elements from a previous work

Basically, Warcraft 3: Reforged announcement cinematic trailer is a remake of the original announcement cinematic trailer, while, for comparaison, the Starcraft Remastered Cinematics are remastered, to increase the video and sound quality

I wasn’t asking for a definition… But what you actually meant… Thanks anyways I guess lol

I thought that they would remake all the cinematics because they remade the trailer cinematic. This implicated to me that they would remake the cinematics since they didn’t do a remake of any of the cinematics in SCR. And when asked about this they would focus on other things and not really answer if they did infact redo them. That said, I’m glad they don’t.

In the beginning it was really hyped about seeing the cinematics in modern quality, but when I saw a comparison between the original and the remade, I’m glad they didn’t. I really liked the original’s style with the characters faces being in the shadows and then showing the orc’s face when the lightning strikes. It looks awesome and works great, and in the new one… it was pretty much just prettier. So I’m glad that they’re keeping the original and just improving those, since that will mean that they’ll retain the style of the original.

Also a cinematic is the almost photorealistic short “movies”, to not be confused with the cutscenes that are just ingame. So I think they’ll remake the Arthas and Illidan fight since I would argue that it’s a cutscene :smiley:

1 Like

No worries ^^
At least, it makes the distinction clear :stuck_out_tongue:

Not gonna lie, this is a huge disappointment for me… During the announcement I was ecstatic about seeing Arthas’ betrayal all redone for 2018. I really hope they reconsider…

3 Likes

They can, in last recourse, add them in the future with an update.
Amen!

1 Like