Structural changes to elf

I always wondered why the elf tech tree designed the way it is.

(1) To me it makes much more sense to have

Ancient of Druids with talons and bears
Ancient of Lore with hippogryphs, dryads, and giants.
Roost with faerie dragons and chimaeras.

OR:

Ancient of Druids with talons and bears
Ancient of Lore with dryads and giants.
Ancient of Wind with hippogryphs, faerie dragons, and chimaeras.

It would be interesting to see how a new tech tree would change the game.

(2) The upgrades, like Mark of the Talon and Mark of the Claw could be included in the cost of respective Adept and Master Trainings. The former two upgrades look redundant.

It is possible to remove the former two upgrades and raise the cost of the Adept and Master Trainings for druids
from 100 gold 50 wood, 100 gold 150 wood
to 100 gold 100 wood, 100 gold 200 wood, respectively.
Numbers could be adjusted. Allowing Faerie Fire to the crow form at T2 should be okay. We can just reduce its duration to balance things out.

(3) Mountain Giants have two upgrades Hardened skin and Resistant Skin. At the moment, MGs probably need to be slightly reworked due to numerous community complains. Besides regular tweaks, it is possible to
(a) Merge two upgrades into one costly upgrade.
(b) Before the upgrade giants could be devoured and would have smaller size. After the upgrade, their level would go from 5 to 6 and their model size would increase. This idea comes from Dota 2 (look at the hero called Tiny).

Relevant…

I said this in previous thread and now on this one. Each race finds its identity in wc3 (as opposed to starcraft) in scews, flips and inverts of the melee and missile scheme.

The design of each race could imply a more reactive or aggressive style of playing them, or even half aggressive and half reactive but that’s as far as it goes.

I mean, as long as the overall design has a balance of proportion and there is a back and forth counter system to the top of the tech tree, very simple… that’s all that really matters.

First, you have to ask why you really have a problem with NE and IMO you will trace your feelings toward the reasoning proposed in the link discovering that the melee missile or tank cannon concept can and does become a problem in regard to things that should be there but are simply non existent.

1 Like

Very interesting. I didn’t think about race identity this way.

You can’t just say “it makes sense to me” without providing any reasoning.

Why should the NE tech tree be changed to move around the units? You need some justification for such a drastic change.

Right now the ancient of lore produces ground units and the ancient of wind produces air units. That’s very much intended. Likewise, Chimeras are gated behind tier 3.5 to make sure it takes a long time to reach them, same as frost wyrms: you can’t start their buildings until after reaching T3. If you put faerie dragons with them, you’d either need to make them a tier 3 unit (an incredible nerf to FD) or make chims accessible far earlier (and incredible buff to chims builds). It would also mean that an FD/Chim air army could smoothly transition without needing to produce extra buildings, drastically reducing the resources invested and being superior to a chippo build.

These aren’t small balance changes and you need reasons