So, is this forum dead now?

I have been gone for a while, has anything changed at all since last year?

Edit: typo.

2 Likes

Well, I guess most people gave up all hope.
We were promised a lot and only got a few balance patches this year.

Where are all the missing features, will they come back? Blizzard does not say anything new.

Only time can tell. :frowning:

I mean i am happy with the single player campaign even though they promised new missions and a complete overhaul and not only new 3d-models.

The more I think about this case the more angry I get how they treat us RTS fans.

-Warcraft 3 Reforged is not getting any updates
-Starcraft 2 is on life support (and free to play lol)

Seems like RTS is dead for them after all. And I will not buy diablo 2 remaster nor any other blizzard game anymore. Speak with your wallet.

25 Likes

Most people are playing the game. Just a few come check to see if there’s any news or share new maps or features.

The forum is but the community is not!

on WC3Champions alot of people do ’ enjoy ’ the game.
How far we can enjoy this game ofc, its far from perfect.
But atleast i have fun playing.

4 Likes

Dunno, you seem to type in it, must be alive :joy:

they lack competence and talent to do anything remotely close to SC2 again.

if blizz fails to remaster wc3 they are incapable of creating any RTS game. im sad the best developer for strategy games declined so much, but on the other hand im happy blizzard leaves space for other studios that actually have a chance of delivering a decent RTS game.

4 Likes

The problems with Reforged had nothing to do with the competence of the people working on it. It was more a victim of poor decision making, likely from higher ups who thought Reforged was just another Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon to remaster/remake and who did not understand the complexities of a custom content driven game.

In my opinion in retrospect they would have been better off doing the bare minimum to future proof Warcraft III by adding it close to as is to the BattleNet application. All effort should then have been poured into a new RTS game “Warcraft Trilogy” based on the StarCraft II engine (already much more modern) which would have total remakes of campaigns from Wacraft I, II and III with a consistent Warcraft III like play style as well as extra content/lore from World of Warcraft. Like StarCraft II, the campaigns could be sold separately with the base game and arcade (user made) content being free. This would also add the option for them to create tie-in campaigns for World of Warcraft events, possibly offered for free to World of Warcraft subscribers. Melee would be Warcraft III based, possibly with some drastic changes to make it feel refreshed and take advantage of new features such as better path finding and unit on unit collisions.

Warcraft III players would be happy since not only would TFT be largely untouched so not have suffered the desync and compatibility problems it did, but there would also be a new Warcraft game for custom map makers to move into where they can be sure all the players have the same graphic settings (no having to handle dual graphic modes) and with all the new modding features. Being open-ended it also could assure profitable development support for 5+ years with fresh campaigns.

13 Likes

That might be the most well thought out original idea iv’e heard regarding a more “libterated” position on the destiny of the game, i don’t know about leaving WarIII untouched though even as a “bare minimum” concept, its custom games community simply can not be replicated in ScII alike sequel, unless they specifically aim to do so, if they aim to spent countless hours to make it as approachable as WarIII covering an easy path to resource replication, actually giving tools to the community, so forth.

But why not follow Microsofts route? do a Remaster like Age of Empires 2 DE that the game truly deserved to have, something faithful yet so full of love, it would easily make sure WarIII would breeze through 15 years of additional life, EASILY. since we have mountains of established content and resource ripe to be used, the only thing we needed was a game and visuals that would support it instead of mutilating it, boost it, fit in. not this split up abomination. i even said the idea that if the visuals were done with such care and functional respect to the original game i would probably not even mind if the Remastered version had no Classic Mode at all. the reason it exists is because the majority of the community would break off and collapse if it doesn’t. because of how detrimental and careless HD was handled.
Then do your sequel :man_shrugging:

I largely agree with almost all your written text about the Sequel, but the part as i explained about a proper WarIII Remaster after Sc1R to consistently hype people and treat them with respect is where i would “correct” your post.

There is an interesting aspect to this though, the public sentiment to a proper World of Warcraft lore has been on the decline, and many W3 community members don’t really like WoW lore and prefer to make alternate versions, so perhaps another area where i would suggest Blizzard might have been able to innovate was to have an alternate timeline continuing the events of TFT in this new sequel but built as a singleplayer story as it should be.

2 Likes

i think we can agree that the split option with two graphic sets in one game was to the detriment of reforged.

the game would have been better off with classic wc3 left mostly untouched and reforged being a proper standalone remake with more engine tweaks (better animation fps), more refined graphics etc.

if reforged graphics wouldnt run so terrible and had better readability, nobody would actually complain about new graphics. some people always complain, but if its objectively good, people will switch some day.

instead of really tuning reforged, blizzard probably spent 50% of the coding time on keeping the old assets and game mechanics compatible with the new. this coding part must have been hell. this doesnt excuse the terrible UI or the lackluster readability and general execution.

this would leave custom maps incompatible, but they surely can be converted to be compatible followed up by manual fixing. if blizz just released the tools to do so, the community could convert the custom maps to the new version themselves and we’d be on an up to date platform with everything.

3 Likes

Am I wrong or D2 resurrected has the same “feature”?^^

Ultimately however this is about resources, existing community created resources, if they managed to leave the game mostly untouched but deliver some important updates, yet do a Remaster that would be an update from the War3 or Sc2 Engine itself, while directly aiming to replicate the ease of access, and releasing tools which would allow the WarIII community to move over and convert existing resources to function on this new remaster, then i largely support this, and anyone reading this shouldn’t read anything bellow here, if however that’s not the case then read below.

You can click on the arrow to expand.

The post you wrote is more inline with the old school idea of remake i disagree with, which is why DSG's original comment caught me surprised, if they want to do a regular Remaster to Warcraft 3 then that's exactly what they should have done, the majority of the functional features introduced to the World Editor could have been easily done, so "mostly untouched" seems like an opinion that someone who doesn't really care would have.

What does mostly untouched mean ? visually ? functionally ? in all aspect ? if mostly untouched means you agree to just let Warcraft III die out of existence like how Blizzard let it rot for one and a half decade before pissing on it then i heavily disagree with you.

It seems almost comical to me, as if the people who keep saying a remaster of war3 should be left mostly untouched want the game to actually just die and focus their effort in re-creating a game that’s already there.

The reason i agreed with DSG was because he aligned his argument more in line with a sequel to WarIII that also has War I and II in it and also supports additional stories. i’m not going to agree with anyone that suggest the original game should have been just left for dead.

And even with Reforged, it sets a standard that you move too quickly to adapt to and in doing so you overlook a vast chasm, who said dual graphics couldn’t be done ? the part you miss is that you assume the only result of trying something like that is to do it in such an extreme extent that Reforged did, aka useless bloated polygon heavy models with an unfitting lightning engine and bad textures, and an utter disregard of consistency, as if that’s the only way there is to do it outside of not touching it. that’s such a black and white view point.

The reason i would say WarIII deserves to have something visually more humble yet functionally innovative and supportive of all the features we got from patch 1.27 to 1.32 since they picked the game up again is because the existing community managed to stack up such a mountain of available resources that if they were given such an update such things like a sequel or whatever would seem pointless, and you know why ? because they would’ve been able to far more easily take up the spearhead of the momentum that was created and catapult the user-created content to such an extent that Blizzard could openly end up supporting fan created alternate realities because of the level of quality they put out. i don’t know about you but that vision doesn’t seem to fit in a “mostly untouched” WarIII left to die.

They already broke a lot of maps with the post return bug patches. They’re not capable of handling backwards compatibility. The community also shot itself in the foot by overzealously protecting maps.

Nothing ever was easy about Warcraft III. It looked easy but as most map makers find out it is anything but easy when their map becomes unplayable due to leaks, or stuff starts breaking due to custom abilities not making sense at times.

Tell that to Age of Empires 3 remake which was critically a failure. Even Age of Empires 2 needed 2 remakes to be good.

It is not having to handle user made content.

Abusing security exploits kind of has that way of catching up on one.

AOE2HD was developed (or rather modified) by Hidden Path Entertainment together with the freshly recruited Team of Forgotten Empires. It was a slight upgrade to the tech to make it run properly on modern PCs, but it didnt change any content or graphics.

AOE2DE was developed by Forgotten Empires in conjunction with Hidden Path, but before that all the way back Forgotten Empires worked on the AOE2 Mod “The Forgotten”, which was promoted to be an official add-on by Microsoft and as such Forgotten Empires became a proper Studio instead of a Mod Team.

4 Likes

It was easy enough to get interested by lower talented people like me into mapmaking, and easy enough for me to convince my other friends who were completely off the cuff to actually make their dream of creating a fun map/game for themselves to come true, its been hard fought, we stand on the shoulders of giants, the resource makers, the tutorial creators, the garbage collection written in lua makers :kissing_heart: they started somewhere, the structure was formed, and it had a bright future because of preexisting time spent preparing all of this.

The only way Blizzard can replicate this is to manually replicate the structure i just pointed out, and that’s just a suggestion, i know they’re too … corrupted… to do that.

Age2;s HD edition was basically a TFT for War3, nothing too major, and it was not a remake, please stop conflating the idea of a remake with a remaster, Age 2DE is where i’d assume you inspired your idea from to some extent ? as in, Age2HD is still there, no one took it, but Age2DE was directly crafted to be an inspiration for all of Age2’s audience to move forward. if you set out in trying to craft a remaster and your first idea is “well we can never replicate, nor should we try to replicate the original so lets just give up and go down our own path” you openly admit to have not studied and actually understand how to craft a remaster that would actually accomplish those goals while being innovative and attractive to newer people that have the same interests at heart.

Its kind of funny how Blizzards Pride has been the cause of their downfall, they tried to market this project to … MMORPG players, FPS players and ARPG players, aka they dont’ see anyone outside of their self created audience of fans, that’s how full of corrupted pride they are.

They should’ve literally tried to compete with Command and Conquer Remastered, Age of Empires Definitive series, and the Total War series, instead they offered boosts for stupid mounts and sticks for wow players, its such a shame and such an astronomic misunderstanding. RTS players such as myself love to try out new things within our own genre just as any other players of different genres do. its just that they didn’t realize this.

Also, Age 3DE had failures for catering to Politically Correct sentiment and spending time in trying to recorrect mistakes instead of making sure the game was well developed in the first place, i’m surprised as to how you are swift to point out the fault in that games effort to be successful while you overlook 2 very important aspects:

1 - The game is nowhere near as bad to be compared to “Reforged” to begin with.
2 - There is genuine hope based on very casual analysis of data that suggests the game will be fixed in the coming future, because there is evidence and precedent for it, whoever was handling these entire series have actually continued to support, update, and actively develop Age of Empires 1 and 2 Definitive Edition looooooooooooong after they were released, especially with the first title. we will see how successful are they compared to Blizzards active attempts at self censoring news from Reforged because they’re so ashamed of it.

2 Likes

To quote Wikipedia…

In 2012, Hidden Path Entertainment began working on a high-definition remake of Age of Empires II, an effort spearheaded by Matt Pritchard, an original lead programmer at Ensemble Studios. On March 7, 2013, its release was announced, branded as Age of Empires II: HD Edition. It has improved graphics, widescreen support and new multiplayer options through Steam. It was released on April 9, 2013, and there was a pre-order available on April 5.[84] HD Edition received mixed reviews, with aggregate review website Metacritic assigning a score of 68 out of 100 based on reviews from 20 critics.[61] Critics agreed that the HD Edition changed very little from the original game, though Steam Workshop integration was widely praised.[85][86]

Yes the HD edition was a remake. At the time they even said they remade at least the graphics engine from the ground up, since the old software rasteriser was not really friendly or able to scale with modern hardware.

DE was a remaster, again as mentioned by wikipedia.

On August 21, 2017, at Gamescom, Microsoft announced a remaster titled Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition was in development by Forgotten Empires, Tantalus Media, and Wicked Witch Software.[96] On June 9, 2019, Microsoft revealed the gameplay trailer at Xbox E3 2019. The game includes all content from the previous editions and expansions, as well as four new civilizations (Bulgarians, Cumans, Lithuanians, and Tatars), additional campaign missions (Ivaylo, Kotyan Khan, Pachacuti, and Tamerlane), and new 4K graphics. It was released via Xbox Game Pass for PC, the Microsoft Store, and Steam on November 14, 2019.[97]

I think it used the same AoE HD engine but with some tweaking to it. Hence it is a remaster as it is not really remaking the game engine, rather changing what was already there.

DE was likely crafted so they could get away from some of the poor reviews of the HD edition and also to charge players yet again to play AoE2. Given the competitive nature of AoE2 and DE making some pretty large changes to gameplay it was likely for the better that they did that. Technically nothing would have stopped them updating HD to DE, especially given that DE started with all the HD content, and then goes on to add more content and DLC similar to what HD did before it.

AoE2 custom content community is very small compared with Warcraft III, as such re-releasing incompatible versions of the game is viable. People play AoE2 for the melee/skirmish play, and not to play DotA Allstars, footmand frenzy, legion tower defence, Werewolf, e.t.c. Doing the same for Warcraft III would have resulted in Reforged having 0 custom maps at launch time, most players sticking to TFT and Reforged still being a failure as people demand refunds for not being able to play any user made content on it made in over 15 years. Hence why it would have been better for them to focus on creating a new RTS experience that fulfils people’s want for a Warcraft IV, while offering many of the features of Remake such as updated campaigns based on WC3 that fit more closely to WoW.

It is a flagship series of Microsoft Xbox Game Studios division. If they let it rot they might as well sell out to Sony or Nintendo. No matter how poor it is commercially or critically, they cannot afford to let it show. This means they have near infinite resources to fix any such problems.

Microsoft also provides the entire series as part of their game subscription service, which includes all DLC content. As such a lot of people who would have “refunded” it normally, never brought it to begin with. It also means that no matter how poor something is, it is still added value to the subscription service. This would have been similar to Blizzard offering World of Warcraft players access to Reforged for free as long as their subscription lasts.

no one is playing warcraft 3 reforged, lol.

1 Like

Read what I said, they broke even more maps with updates that came after they fixed the return bug.

Isn’t that a bit stretched mental gymnastics ?, WarIII also has re-written graphical engine but its a remaster not a remake. despite of the misleading title, remake implies the game was re-written from the ground up on a new engine.

I mean if you compare RoC and TFT and how vastly different the 2 were when it came to updates, and Age2HD did bring some important updates like increased unit selection cap and so forth, and new content obviously, but the result wasn’t that far fetched from the title that the authors gave, an HD version, you know how some of those older RTS games like Rise of Nation has an Extended Edition ? its not really a remake or a remaster, its basically just modernizing the games resolution and functions for newer software.

I don’t know about getting away from poor reviews, but that’s funny, i was about to mention in the first part how HD edition was rated poorly for not having done anything worthy of the “Remake” title you claim it having, also some players apparently hated the HD editions water visuals so there was that.

On the second part, its important to mention i completely understand the difference between Age of Empires II and War3, the reason i bring this game up as an example isn’t to say it should be replicated 1 to 1, but that Age II DE fundamentally understood its playerbase and aimed to cater to its own playerbase, there was no advertising of Age 2DE players to go and play Microsofts latest FPS, or MMO or so forth, they were making a remaster worthy of the players of a game older then WarIII. that is the part i insist on Blizzard replicating, a remaster that was best fit for its players, not prioritizing to the promise of re-creating cutscenes using bloated models, like, when you actually sit down and wonder, you only begin to understand just how big of a job and how useless it is to do all those cutscenes, but yeah, ultimately even though the custom games of Age2DE is nowhere near, they did amazing things for their community best fitting and suited for them, and NO ONE ELSE. they also justified the repurchase of the game for the third time unlike some other games i know :smirk:

And also, Yes, sure, you see players complaining about not being able to play super old maps, but that is such a minority DSG, bro i actually see people in different servers looking for such maps you don’t need to be so paranoid about this issue, if the remaster was of the form and quality iv’e been speaking of, then people would so quickly adapt and move on, heck it would motivate mapmakers to remake old time classics as new maps, the mapmaking community abroad has done and would have done in better circumstance an amazing job to update the available content, if people didn’t find the old map they liked they would still be gravitated to all the new available stuff that might fill in the hole, you implying that its not worth to do a proper awesome remaster of WarIII and put in the level of effort Age2DE got just because of some comments is absurd my friend, and when did “Most players stick to TFT” happen ? are you around the community by any chance ? where is this most players stick to TFT when you’re recorrecting others about more people playing on new Reforged era patches or Reforged itself ? i mean with how terrible of a job Blizzard has done they might make this a reality, but absolutely NOT if they did a better job instead.

I had the luxury of being in contact with the original owner of Werewolf Transylvania he said he moved to make a new standalone because of the EULA, at the time i was heavily pushing counter arguments that the EULA has no effects but my efforts were un-successful to change his mind, and i put in a hell of an effort, the very statements from Blizzard, even though all hot air, did its damage. but then another well talented developer i also knew took up the mantle of continuing to update the map and provide shelter for the community, like i say, people replicate, or continue supporting.

And again i can’t stress this enough how the RTS based WarIII community DOES NOT like a story developed for an MMORPG which doesn’t fit in the singleplayer based story, and there is very large scale backlash from poor handling of WoW lore, please just forget WoW when talking about WarIII man people don’t give a toss you sound like an Activision decision maker, the same type that suggested its better to include bonus features for the games premium edition that are connected to 4-5 other games that aren’t even an RTS, its like the most disgusting cheap marketting low blow in history. i almost wonder if they did this type of marketting as a panic to just get some sales because some whale would pay 40$ for another game to unlock a meatwagon mount in WoW.

Nice point about WoW sub giving RF for free i didn’t know, but again that’s not going to benefit WIII because its not the same audience, you forgot about the whole point i was making previously about Blizzard just sticking their head in their bubble butt thinking they can connect WoW players to WIII because “Blizzard culture” or whatever the heck that means.

And all of that mentioned about Microsoft, they still update the game whether its one way or the other, all i read from this bit of your post is a vague implication that “Well they wouldn’t care to update if (Insert all of this which i said) didn’t exist” first of all, Age series has been getting a significant amount of love, and buildup from their fans and playerbase, doing RTS things of this scale in a shortburst attention span of the current industry is a risky move, in however way Blizzard would’ve been able to pull this off it would seem fine to me, as long as they respect the core pillars, remaster an RTS to cater to RTS fans, despite of my genuine love for custom games, and that of all custom game players, its safe to say that the very fact that all of us are not put off by the fact that our TD’s our Strategies our RPGs our Campaigns and everything being literally an RTS speaks for itself that regardless of our diverse culture of accepting and playing custom games, we all share a love towards the RTS that is made in. and accept its basic mechanics of birds eye view and mouse control, and a little bit of wonky pathing we like to call body blocking :yum:
Medieval Zombie Invasion series of maps core concept is bodyblocking chokes with units from hoards of zombies players and defend a series of bases.

2 Likes

Weren’t there mismatches between different versions of the same unit between wc3 and reforged?

btw, so no jamella for resurrected?^^

It’s always amazing to see how companies play the security card when they screw up things^^