Saved games will not load after 1.32.2 patch

I get the “Error: The Map File referenced by the save game is different from the map file on your hard drive.”

I’ve lost all my progress when I was 90% done with one of the missions in the custom campaign. This is horrible, is there any way I roll back the patch at least until I’ve finished that level.

Hey Rostami,

Unfortunately there is not a way to roll back. This has been a thing in Warcraft 3 for a while now. Each time a patch is released saves from previous patches will not work if the map file was changed. Patches don’t always change map files but sometimes changes need to be made to fix bugs and such.

While not ideal, you’ll have to restart the mission from the beginning in order to complete it.

Seriously? i had 1 hour and 37 minutes on my bonus campaign game and you are saying i need to restart it from the beginning ?! Stuff like this is why so many people asked for a refund of this game. One bug after another. This should never, under any circumstances, happen. Fix your problems Blizzard.

12 Likes

That’s what they’re doing, fixing the problems. If fixing map files is part of that, then it needs to be done. Problems can’t be allowed to persist forever just to allow for game saves.

1 Like

Thank you for very much for your prompt reply. Here are my thoughts on what you said:

1. You say this has been a problem for a while, but I never received a notification about this potential error. I was never told in-game or in any patch notes that I should not trust my ability to load my save file after I patch. If I was told that I would have turned automatic patching for WC3 off.

2. It’s not that this is just “not ideal”. Not ideal would be having to go through some longwinded solution process on the forums. You are no solution at all. No, this is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

3. Having been a game developer before, I know that problems like this are in fact fixable if a minimal amount of resources are dedicated toward backward compatibility. You really don’t need to load the entire map. You can just reset the map and place my character in the same spot with the same items at the same progression stage.

I intend on requesting a refund now. I only bought this game to re-experience the campaign in higher resolution, and have no intention of replaying 3+ hours of gameplay as I do have a life. I appreciate your honesty in telling me that there is no solution, but I hope you realize that as a customer I find that to be wholly unsatisfactory.

12 Likes

The game client will still require you to manually update when you open the game.

It very much is if people want problems to be fixed:

That may be true, but you don’t have any knowledge or insight into Warcraft 3. You don’t how it’s coded, or how saved games are created, or what is necessary to fix problems, or what is necessary to do what you believe should be done.

But those points aside, if you want any of this seen by those it will have an impact on, you want to post in the General Discussion forum. Feedback, suggestions, criticism, etc on the support forums are not forwarded on to the developers.

This is ridiculous. The bonus campaign has missions that are hours long; I was almost done with the first one and now I have to start all over. At the very least there should be a way to revert the update, and ideally there would have been a warning before the update was applied (things were autoupdated for me, there was definitely nothing prompting me to accept an autoupdate).

6 Likes

Huge bummer man. Wish these kinds of issues didn’t exist. I also have to restart second level of founding of Durotar. Well I guess I don’t need to. The game has been quite a let down overall. O well. Maybe a sign that games add no significantly value to my life. Companies like blizzard basically earn our money from giving us high frequency dopamine blasts to replace healthy pleasures in life like connecting with friends, exercising, learning new things etc. Blizzard is sucking our energy and our Loosh! Don’t let them get our Loosh friends! Let us exile Blizzard and any companies like them. LOK’TAR OGAR!

3 Likes

Hello , all of my campaign progress (completed chapters for human , undead and orc) have all been deleted, is this normal? How can i avoid this happening again so i can actually progress with the campaign?

1 Like

Really, this is Blizzard’s response to the issue, I want my refund of the game right now. It’s broken and not working. I lost 3 hours+ from my bonus campaing.

4 Likes

It is.

If your intent was to play the campaign only once and then never again, you can request a refund through the Support site. Start with the “Support” link in the upper right of the forums pages.

“Not ideal” is a huge understatement. It’s completely unacceptable. Invalidating previous saves is extremely frustrating to players, especially when there’s not any mention in the patch notes about them not working after the patch.

There’s a lot of anger towards Blizzard right now, and they’re not helping matters any when this is the way they handle things.

4 Likes

Hello Jambrix

You are replying that we have to restart the mission. In my case (And others, from what i can read) all campaign process has been lost. All save games no longer work and all progress from the campaign selection is gone. For me that is all of Reign of Chaos and more than half of Frozen Throne progress just gone.

I don’t understand why i am not even able to start my missions from the beginning. Is this going to be possible or would i have to play the whole thing over again?

1 Like

The saved games are lost permanently and there’s not much that can be done about it. The campaign progress is lost too, unfortunately. But you can jump back to where you were using the cheat codes.

See this guide here:

Assuming that the files that track campaign progress are not invalidated too, you can try keeping periodic backups of them. See here on how to do that:

This is not the appropriate forum for game feedback. I’m quoting the relevant information from our previous blue post and locking this thread. The game has worked this way for a very long time. If you’d like to see this investigated by the Warcraft 3 devs for a possible change, you should post feedback at the General Discussion forums.

There are a couple workarounds that help with some of these situations which Leviathan posted a bit ago. You can read through these threads for some options, but as of this moment the game client is working as designed and there’s nothing to really troubleshoot here.