Remaking warcrafts 1&2 as dlc later on

They totally should add the WC1 & 2 stories into this game, for sure.

Maybe later on they could add in some of the big battles that happened in WoW (possibly with some easter eggs of just barely seeing the adventurers!)

5 Likes

Sounds like a great idea to me, since i never played warcraft 1 and 2, only a remake of wc1 done as a wc3 custom campaign

4 Likes

I’m personally 100% up for this. It’d also help custom map makers and campaign makers who want to do maps/campaigns set in those eras.

5 Likes

I would love remakes of the 2 in Reforged! unlike SC1 where most everything was very quirky but still functional as it goes, War 1 and 2 (and BtDP) go a little to far into Janky to be fun by today’s standards. Nothing says fun like your units getting stuck because they had to move more then 10 tiles left or right to get to where you ordered them… So using the Warcraft 3 engine, AI, and combat systems would go along way!

4 Likes

This would be epic AF! but i dont think they will do it.
would ji** pants if they do it though ^^

1 Like

It would be awesome, i played warcraft 2 back in the day, was awesome but now i tried to play it again (to play the expansion, i never played it) and it aged really bad, also tried to play warcraft 1 and was worse.

4 Likes

It is really just a Win win win for everyone. Not only do we get new campaigns, but new units to use in the editor. I assume they would remake Footman/Grunts like their WC1/2 counterparts.

3 Likes

Some people made SC1 campaign in SC2… so community can make it later at Reforged base.

And they can do it right now, because WC3: Reforged is completely compatible with classoc WC3 editor)

Custom games & maps:
I hope Rexar’s campaign will be free, it was very fun to play, and some of the default random custom games that came with frozen throne.
I think wc 1 & 2 will be fan made AND in fact there are multiple versions of both games remade in wc3 some of which seem like they could be compatible with the new engine.

Skins and comsetics:
I remember seeing in the trailers a paladin with a head that isn’t just a re-skin of Uther like in the originals, but with a haircut and mustache. I’m willing to bet that there will be cosmetics in the form of hero heads, example:
“ULTRA MEGA SUPER DUPER DEAL: Make your melee game paladin look like Arthas, from the human campaign, or your melee game demon hunter have horns like Illidian from the night elf campaign! BUY NOW at 10% off for 1:13:37 * timer counting down *-”
And non-canon random heads will be sold at like half the price or something.
Just changing the hero’s head shouldn’t affect game-play, since most heroes are defined by their body shape (& silhouettes), and wear their team colors mostly on their body (except maybe the Tinker and one more i think)

Either-way that’s OK, since making the game profitable in minor and HOPEFULLY non-gamebreaking ways will mean that due to the steady micro-transaction income there will be more effort on updating, fixing balancing and overall polishing the game.

2 Likes

me too which I abandoned after first mission because it was too of a faithful recreation

1 Like

To be honest i did it until the mission where you siege as orcs with skeletons, then got tired of its outdated balance/mechanics and cheated everything else

Warcraft 1 & 2 have undergone such degree of retcons, and have such simpler gameplay that a direct remake/remaster wouldn’t be worth it.

They would have to make each game from scratch with all new gameplay and updated lore. They would have to script and record thousands of lines of dialogue, create an all-new plot and actually design completely new levels as well.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t do it, but it would be a far, far larger project than Wc3: Reforged. It would take all the resources of making an entirely new game, and unlike Wc3 there’s nothing to reuse, nothing to base it off.

There are several, loads in fact fan-made remakes of Warcraft 1 and 2 (I was even making one myself), and there will likely be even more after launch.

1 Like

I love to see Warcraft Orcs and Humans and Warcraft 2 tides of darkness/Beyond the dark portal as reforges. I absolutely love Warcraft 2 and its music is some of the most classic Warcraft music you can listen to. I go back to it every now and then whenever I want a break from Warcraft 3. Warcraft 1 I haven’t played in years but there is someone that remade the whole thing on War3 maps by the name of LordPerenoldeII. It’s pretty good but I would love a official release of War 1 and 2 reforges if that ever happens. You have my vote.

If they were to remake them, I’d say merge some of the new lore with the old. While the mission designs are dated (destroy all enemies on the map, repeat) they could definitely be updated with added story, keeping to the original mission locations whilst updating the actual objectives or layout of the map. Of course, some new missions could be added as well, like more naval battles in the great sea or more battle in Khaz Modan. They could even introduce new lore involving Kingdoms like Alterac or Gilneas, or perhaps more involving the Jungle Trolls in the first war, or new unique orc units in Beyond the Dark Portal.

I don’t expect them to have this on their radar, but they did state at the panel that they were teasing the idea of new content after they were confident in Reforged as it is. I also remember back during Starcraft Remastered’s creation that they did consider remaking Warcraft I and II, but reasoned that the games were too old for any real audience to want to play, other than hardcore fans who’d play for simple nostalgia.

While the fan-made campaigns are neat, and some of them can be rather creative, there are only a handful of custom campaigns that can compete with the Blizzard created ones.

1 Like

This would be awesome, especially if they made a few multiplayer maps or something to go with it. Warcraft 2 was my favorite game for multiplayer.

But I agree, that the multiplayer is more likely to be player created than blizzard created.

Campaigns would pretty much have to be done by blizzard though if they wanted to do the retcons and such.

Lets just say that if we cant get Warcraft IV, I would gladly take additional campaings in form of Warcraft 1 and 2 remakes as well as potential WoW storylines and perhaps even War of the Ancients…

Even if they wouldnt include CGI cutscenes, but just ingame-made cutscenes, I would more than gladly take it.

Fan-made campaings are ofc to be expected, Warcraft II campaign is already remade in original WC3 engine, but its not the same thing as Blizzard would put their time and resources on such campaigns.

Ofcourse building campaings, cutscenes and voice acting would all take lot of time and effort, but not as much as building entirely new Warcraft RTS game from scratch. So I actually support this idea, especially if Warcraft IV is never gonna happen and I would gladly pay proper expansion money for such additional campaings.

I know I speak for lots of other ppl here when I say that even if I wanted to play WoW, I would not have the time to do so, I just dont have time for any MMO. But we would want to see more of Warcraft in RTS form, so devs at Blizzard, if you are reading this, please consider giving us more of that after you have completed the work on this remaster. Even if it would be just shot campaings or 1 map story driven scenarios.

3 Likes

I am simple man. I see Warcraft 3, I play. But to me serious - If they create Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2 as DLC to WC: Reforged, I will buy it because I am a big fan of this game, I spent eternity on this game. This game was basically my childhood. I am going to buy this game in preorder, and if they create skins, I will propably buy some.

I think this remaster is a great thing. Can’t wait any longer.

2 Likes

I am 100% for it. Even if it is fan made.
I would love to see modders expand this to making the WoW Storylines with the W3 engine as well.
Just need good modding support from blizzard.

There are already fan-made campaigns of Warcraft II.
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/warcraft-ii-orc-campaign.250328/#resource-18504 https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/warcraft-ii-human-campaign.256464/#resource-18859

2 Likes

I have some ideas on how to pull off campaigns based on what’s in WoW. But first thing it would require is a bunch of new tech trees, for the playable races, and some other factions like twilight hammer and argent down. And it will still play like a strategy game.

Like the first horde level will be the only Durotar level, and would be at Razor Hill. You set up a base, and deal with enemies in the area like; centaurs, harpies, quillboars, burning blade orcs, and humans at tiragarde keep.

1 Like