Reign of Chaos Multiplayer Restoration UPDATE

This is a new Mod that aims to restore the feeling of playing Reign of Chaos on battle.net again, as part of the Warcraft III: Unforged project.

DOWNLOAD

INFO

This restores the Reign of Chaos interface to battle.net. So even though you still connect with the Frozen Throne client, it will look, sound, and play just like RoC.

Since this is now a proper Mod rather than a collection of custom maps, you can play any standard RoC-compatible maps over battle.net, and you’ll be playing with Reign of Chaos gameplay.

Of course you can’t search ladder games, only play custom games with people who are also using the mod.

Now that actual RoC data files are used, all known issues from the previous version that was played through customized maps are no longer present. The custom maps previously created for War3-Unforged are not supported by this mod and will crash.

SCREENSHOTS

imgur(dot)com/a/lZuNeo7

INSTALLATION

1. If you have not installed War3 mods yet, you must first enable them in your Registry.
  2. To do this, simply run AllowLocalFiles.reg

Once you’ve enabled Modding for War3…

1. Copy the contents of the MOD folder into your Warcraft III directory.

2. If you are prompted to overwrite anything, cancel and move the conflicting files out of the war3 directory, then try again.
    Otherwise you’ll mess up any existing mods or files there.

3. Run the game.

To turn off the mod, run AllowLocalFiles=False.reg.

EXTRA STUFF

This update also includes some fixes to the War3 Demo Restoration such as the ability to play 2v2. Note that the RoC mod should be turned off when playing the demo map.

Enjoy! Give a shout if you have issues or suggestions.

3 Likes

Your links are all blank at the time of this post.

Wish you all the best for your project. What is the current status with RoC anyway? I mean Blizzard never said that it wont be available forever nor that it will be back with reforged/after. Or?

1 Like

Just a quick note that if your main menu looks weird or your game crashes when switching Ally Color Mode, the mod has been updated to fix these issues, thanks to redditor DrJekyllll.

It seemed pretty clear to me that since the Classic team is quite small, they felt maintaining two clients for the game was not worth the trouble, and cut their losses. People mull over their wording in the patch notes on whether or not it’s a temporary thing, but honestly I think that’s just wishful thinking. I don’t fault Blizzard for it, but although I much prefer Frozen Throne’s gameplay, I felt RoC was worth preserving.

1 Like

why play ROC instead of TFT? it’s like playing SC instead of BW, or D2 instead of D2 LOD.
I don’t get the reasoning behind this. enlighten me

1 Like

Original SC and BW are two different games. Lurkers change meta a lot.
I think, this is true for WC3 too (different units, stats, armor, upgrades etc). Anyway find RoC matchup was real year ago, someone still played

1 Like

I did not realize the difference until I actually tried it a few years ago. As a Frozen Throne user, I remember thinking “they are the same.” They look the same, and have many of the same units. But at one point after I had played the game for years, a friend from school and another buddy of his invited me to play Warcraft 3 online. It was great, but they didn’t both have TFT, so we played a game of RoC melee online. Unfortunately, and I didn’t realize it would be the case, I had been messing around in the World Editor for enough years by that time that I was ahead of them in terms of skill level due to my knowledge of the techtrees. But even so, the game felt a bit different, and I started to notice how the costs for almost every unit were subtly different in little ways. By the time that I replayed the RoC Campaign a few years later, it became evident to me that RoC played totally differently as a result of the subtle changes. Games take longer, and siege units are more critical to the gameplay and overpowered (and require higher level of tech to obtain). If I recall, Heroes can reach any level (all the way up to 10) by killing creeps, so you can choose to play these long drawn out games where the players don’t fight for a long time and instead have a slow build.

If you go back really far, at some point recently I installed RoC 1.00 from the disk. The Night Elf civilization in that version is hilarious. All of their Ancients retain Fortified armor when they uproot, and regain health from Eat Tree instantly instead of over time. It is almost a guarantee in that version, I would figure, that if you play as Night Elf and then charge your moving buildings to the enemy base, you would probably be nearly undefeatable to any non-Night-Elf player because of the significant benefit of Fortified armor.

All of these things are not the same in The Frozen Throne.

3 Likes

Lots of people prefer classic D2 over LoD and lots of people prefer RoC over TFT Just because you think one is better doesn’t mean others prefer the old version.

1 Like

You remind me of a man from the 13th century who until the last claimed that the earth is flat. Everything changes and improves, humble yourself.

fixed that for you. ppl in the 13th century were clever enough to realize that the earth is round.

1 Like

There was still no shop building also :slightly_smiling_face:

seems cool, but can i easily switch between roc and tft? could be a hassle to keep up with future patches

This mod runs on the latest patch, so currently there’s no need to worry about that.

It comes with a couple .reg files to easily turn the mod on and off.

LoveStruck of W3Replayers also made a .bat file you can use to toggle the mod without having to close the game. The .bat does not change the UI back to TFT, but it will let you search amm/play with non-modded people.

You can get the .bat here: discordapp(dot)com/attachments/573615811772809219/612616685706280966/reforge_to_tft.bat

I hate TFT and love ROC but I stoped playing this game since blizzard killed ROC.

I played this game since closed beta but in 2019 blizzard finally did it, they killed the game. TFT stinks to the high heavens, ROC is way superior in every aspect, TFT expansion was made for those who sucked at ROC and with short attention spam, that is, with lower IQ. They had to appeal to the broader public.

Im not sure if I will try this mod because of how much unmotivated I am since the devs killed the game.