Playing WC3 Offline together

Hello,

sorry for my english.

My Girlfriend and i are going on vacation and wanted to play a few games against each other on our notebooks while were abroad. Were probably not going to have internet. How can we connect our machines so that we can play wc3 matches against each other?

It seems we both do not have a Lan port on our notebooks… is it still possible somehow or now chance?

Greetings

Well I have never used Lan game. but probably yes, with the lan port and same W3 patch should be okey, anyway I would ask how to connect a LAN game with the PC port.

Yes, the way to do this should take a few simple steps. I have only tried this on older Warcraft III versions prior to Reforged, but for Reforged the steps are probably the same:

1. Download and install the Warcraft III (and log in if it is Reforged) when you have internet prior to leaving on your trip. That way, the game should allow you access while offline. If for some reason Battle.net tries to block you from doing this, use command prompt and use the two steps (a) cd C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\_retail_\x86-64\ to get to the Warcraft folder (it might be in Program Files (x86) if it says folder not found) then (b) ".\Warcraft III.exe" -launch to launch to the Reforged menu in a way that skips the Battle.net launcher. (If your Battle.net launcher is working fine in the offline mode, maybe you can skip all this.)
  2. Now that you are in a remote region of planet Earth with two Windows notebooks that have Reforged (or your preferred Warcraft III version) installed and verified, you need to connect them together. If you are on Windows 7 or earlier there is a way to spawn a WiFi LAN using computer software on your laptop. However, for Windows 8 and above, Cisco or one of the other router companies paid Microsoft a good amount of money or something to make Microsoft remove this feature to promote the falsehood that hosting a WiFi LAN network requires a specialized hardware. Whatever they did, though, it worked. So, this is where I use an Android phone. On the phone, go to the “Mobile Data” option and turn off the Mobile Data. Then, go to the “Wireless Hotspot” button and activate it to create a hotspot using your phone. (Again, if you are on Windows 7 or below you can skip this step and create a WiFi LAN access point using the system menus of Windows.)
  3. Now that you have created a WiFi LAN access point that exists but offers no internet connection, you can connect both Windows notebook machines to this WiFi LAN access point. While connected you will have no internet, but this is expected.
  4. Open the Warcraft III on each of the machines and enter the Local Area Network menu. Host a game using one of the machines, by clicking the “Create Game” button.
  5. Open the Warcraft III on the other machine and enter Local Area Network. You should see the game that was hosted by the other Windows machine. Click on it and join it as you would normally.

This has worked for me in the past to play multiplayer LAN Warcraft III on those remote regions of Planet Earth when you have no access to internet. Remember, of course, that if you are going to be out there for more than 30 days then you need to use a version of Warcraft III from before Reforged released, because the Patch 1.32 program is set to self-terminate after 30 days of being offline (or so I’m told. I haven’t had the opportunity to run into that problem yet).

1 Like

^^

Aren’t there open source softwares that can do the same already without having to go through a mobile?

Probably, but for some people downloading 3rd party programs is annoying.

This has really helped me, thanks!

you’ll need a router or switch, but you simply select LAN from the main menu and you only see games locally visible to you.

I mean, you never needed special software, even in win 7 or earlier…

You just connect some computers together via a router or switch, make sure there’s no internet connection, and it works just fine.

You just need to create a wifi network on one notebook. Process is simple, google it. The other notebook connects to it. Both notebooks open warcraft 3 reforged and if you’re offline, battle.net will make the option play offline available. Don’t worry there’s no 30 days offline limit, you can play offline forever if you want to. In game, one notebook opens a local network game, the other notebook joins the local network game and that’s it. Enjoy.

PS: google the steps to open a simple wifi network on your notebook BEFORE you travel and save the steps to remember them when you’re offline.

If it’s possible for you though, frankly I reccomend wired connections. Within the same room Wifi is good enough, but wired communications are always superior where it’s possible.

Good ol LAN parties, I remember those days.