Ping! ping! ping!

after patch, the ping is insane

3~400ms usual, over 1000ms frequent

because of the ping, the game suddenly shut down repeatedly.

server system is terrible, awful, disgusting!!!

What the hell did they do wrong to make this game even worse?

and why don’t they fix this problem, even though they know it?

that makes me angry.

22 Likes

600+ms 2/2 games. How low can we go and destroy this experience?

I played 3 games.
450 ms: I alt QQ
20 ms: played
20 ms: opponent left due to high ping.

So joinbugs are not fixed, but even if it does not occur you still can barely play a game.

after patch the lags are terrible can’t play

2 Likes

Like SC, multiplayer games are client to client. All the servers do is find the matches. After that, it hands the game off to the clients. There’s no central server facilitating the games like in SC2.

Old info.

See here for the scoop.

2 Likes

I lag crazily too for whatever reason…wtf happened after this patch ?!

It should feel the same, there is no real improvement for EU players.

Netease was never used by EU players because of the incredibly high ping. TFT Bnet offered 50 MS instead off 250. Player base did not move because of that. Despite netease offers both low search times and good matching of players.

However, with the reforge release people do move over. Netease is more solid when it comes to joinbugs and desyncs. The match making is better. There are profiles, stats and a ladder. And, the ping is pretty much the same as playing on EU bnet.

The only thing holding ppl back is that setting up netease is quite difficult. Then again: so is playing reforged nowadays. Blizzard did create a solid competition for their western audience : /

1 Like

Classic wc3 that was recently updated doesn’t have good asian servers.

After the end of the bot era, for example, i had 80-130 ms ping with ENTbots and MMH bots. but with dedicated classic servers before Reforged. i had 130-200 ping.

i assume its only worse in Reforged. :frowning:

Can you explain this? I’ve seen Europeans play Europeans and get 200+ ping 6 out of 8 games, why is that if it’s client to client?

Client to client just means that games are hosted locally on the players’ computers. So when a match starts, one of the players is selected as the “server” that all the other(s) connect to. In other words, there isn’t a true Blizzard server that is hosting the game remotely.

The only thing the server does (in the case of playing games) is find people to match together. Once players are found, it transfers everyone to the local computer that is acting as the server.

The reasons behind high latency are many. One, some or all of the players in a match could have a slow computer, slow internet from their ISP, the path between them could have congestion. And it could be the game client having issues sending data efficiently. All it takes is one player to have high latency and everyone in the match will suffer, especially if it’s the one hosting the game.

There’s no way to begin to tell what causes high latency without doing network tests.

Ok I’m probably going to ask stupid questions to try and understand, but if it’s client to client, wouldn’t the ‘host’ in this sense have 0 latency?

Since everything is measured between players, the host would still have a latency with the others in the game/lobby.

so your in game ping would be the latency between you and the other player? for example it might say 400 even if your units moved instantly?

So does it work in the sense there’s really no host (like if you made a game lobby you wouldn’t have 200 ms), the ping is the measurement of time to send information between two people?

But then that doesn’t even make sense. If I play a US player from OCE, why would theirs say 20ms and mine 200? That would imply he is the host, and has better ping, but I’ve never seen anyone from a minor region get to be the one with 20ms?

Right. There’s going to be some buffering to help reduce the effects. But if the latency gets too high, nothing can hide it and things like input lag start to show.

The lobbies I don’t know exactly what it’s showing. When in lobbies, the server is just sending you the list of players that are waiting to start. So, is the ping between the person in the lobby and the server? Is it the ping between the person in the lobby and all the others in there? I’m not sure because the game hasn’t started so there is no host yet.

There may be some veteran players floating around who were also versed in WC3’s networking over the years who could explain better than I can.

Well if you host a custom game in other RTS games, you always have 0 ms in the lobby, since you’re the host. I assume it’d work the same.

I’m still confused though.

Few examples.

2 people play each other. One Germany one Sweden. Game says 20ms for both, makes sense, both pretty close to each other, no input lag.

2 people play each other. One Germany, one Sweden. Game says 200 for both. Seems weird, unexpected.

2 people play each other. One US, One Australia. Game says 20 for them, but 200 for me.

Why does it say 20 for them, but 200 for me if it’s the connection, while in the previous example, it says 200 for both players who are close to each other, wouldn’t it say 200 for the US player since that’s the connection? Wouldn’t if it was a bad connection, show like 20 for the EU player who is host and 200 for the other EU player?

Also why wouldn’t smaller region players get to be the host then? I’ve never ever seen an Oceanic player or LATAM or SEA play WC3 and get to be on 20ms while the US/EU player is on 200 for example, why would the infrastructure be programmed to pick a US player every time I play them for example but then randomly choose if someone is from Russia and plays them for example?

Also SC2 has server selections, why would that be a thing? Not regions, actual server selection.

yeah i already know. but what i was trying to say was
Why are games matched with people from other continents?
classic w3 matching system makes me play game with same continent players. for example asian vs asian european vs european
i am south korean, but i play a lot of games with europeans and americans in reforged.
and when i met them, the ping of games are going crazy.
The purpose of making users to play games with other continents people is good, but that mathcing system makes severe problems in game optimization.
before patch, even though the game was worth playing
but yesterday’s patch makes me hard to play just one game because of crazy ping.
i think blizzard has to fix this issue asap.

That’s where the variables come into play. One (or both) of them has a slow connection anywhere in their computer/modem/ISP. They both could have fast connections in their computer/modem/ISP but in the 1000s of miles of 3rd party hardware that is connecting them, there’s an issue, such as congestion, or poor bandwidth, etc.

That’s much of the same. They may have 20 between them due to a nice, clear, fast connection between them, but between you and them, there’s issues in the places I mentioned: computer/modem/ISP/3rd party hardware. In that case, you could likely be the one dragging the overall match down because all the clients clients have to pause and wait for all your data to make it to all the others.

How the hosts are chosen, I don’t know. I think I once heard the SCR team/support explain it, but if they did. I’ve forgotten.

SC2’s infrastructure is different. It does have remote servers hosting the games. Some regions have multiple servers to help keep latency down. For example, if two people on the east coast pair up, the system will try to put them on the Chicago server instead of the LA server. It doesn’t work 100%.
For example, one on the east coast and one on the west coast pair up. Which one to put them on? Some algorithm determines which on the fly, but, if they want, they can set a preferential server.

It sounds like the match making is global. It’s that way in SCR. I suspect it’s to increase the player pool to cut down on queue times. But there are always trade offs. Global match making can result in people who are very far way getting matched, meaning high latency.

I get that there’s variables, but the sheer majority of this happening can’t be a client side issue. You can’t play a game vs someone in your continent, be fine, next, 200, then 200, then fine, then 200, and this happens to a lot of people. I get there’s variables, but it feels like there’s something Blizzard side going very very wrong.

Who is them? I’m talking about a ranked 1v1 ladder match, 1 player is Australian, 1 is American. All my examples are for 1v1 ladder games.

Which is why I’m confused. If 2 people from the same EU country can play each other and BOTH see 200 ms, due to poor connection or w/e, why would a game between an Aussie and an American show 20ms to the American and 200 to the Aussie? Clearly that’d be a bad connection as well right?

Let me give you my understanding.

1v1 ladder game.

First Player Host Germany. 2nd player, also Germany. Both see 200ms.

If there’s a connection problem, both players are seeing there’s an issue. Cause both have 200 ms. Whatever time it’s taking for the data to travel between them.

First player Host American. 2nd player, Australian. Host shows 20ms. Australian shows 200.

Why would it show 20 to the American? If it’s 200 to the Australian. If the host in the first example sees 200 cause of issues, why would the American not see 200 cause that’s how long it takes for the Australian?

If you do the ping command, both players get one, usually the same if same area, so what is it testing to? The connection between them? No cause the American doesn’t get the same as the Australian. The host? But the host wouldn’t have the same ping as the player connecting to them right?

Servers make sense to me, you get 40ms, I get 20ms, you’re further away from the server infrastructure than I am, perfectly logical, but here, I don’t understand what the ping is actually to?