Pathing and Unit Movement is really bad in WC3

shift move to the enemy base and then shift attack. /s im a wc3 and im superior than sc2 players but i dont even know how to play so thats kewl

Im a 77% legit 1.14 archimonde player. I think i know a thing or 2 buddy. When the creeps are in a cove and your a+click still wakes them, its bad design. Its only on a few maps.

I will tell you something about game design because I have studied. Yes, some things start out as an error or limitation and then when they turn out into an interesting feature of the game, it can be used. Removing the blocking ability of units removes a big part of the ability to punish a player or outmicro him trying to get a unit killed.

Those who never touch a ‘try hard’ mode will never understand. Think of it like, sc2 a game that is not for anyone but it it still the biggest RTS esport and only one to exist even though it doesnt have the numbers of MOBAs since it is easier to control 1 hero and more of no-brainer than to do all these complex things. When game communities today are dumped down to ‘easy play’ the game will never be that popular, no matter what pathing you bring.

So let me carry the thinking for you: Pathing changes nothing for how much the game will be played and how many players will play it just cause it brings smooth sc2 like pathing (yes you say something in between but isn’t the inability to micro why it will scare them ooff? so sc2 pathing would do the same bring new players by your logic). Players like you dont even need it since you don’t play where it matters, but let’s change it anyway cause ‘my eyes see uncomfortable movement’ Cool thinking bruh

I feel like some who are against it are like ‘wuuh he surrounded my hero, I cant do that BabyRage’ fix pathing pls

1 Like

Impctr, you sound childish. Like a kid who is worried that his toy is going to get taken away.

I straight up doubt pathing is going to get changed as they are using the same game engine. So relax.

The thing I have been saying and will stick to is that the feel of this game due to its dated and clunky control/pathing/movement/turning will continue to turn off a lot of players. Pretty skins will not save it from being a backwater game.

Yes, it’s a classic but it has been largely abandoned for many other games that feel better to play in gamers’ hands.

I had fogotten how clunky it was. Now I remember why I put the game down so long ago.

2 Likes

The Grubby clip further up the topic sums it all up. Yes, improved pathing, no selection cap, zero collision, automated micro, self-play, and free butt wiping will be attractive for casuals that will play through the campaign, lose 2 games on ladder, play some custom maps that don’t require more than 2 clicks per hour and leave. While for the majority that plays this game right now or plans on coming back, the game will be ruined. Maybe this would be a good strategy for a quick cash grab, but a massive failure in terms of sustainability.
Not to mention that it would require a rebuilt engine, killing the compatibility with the original while costing a LOT more to develop (basically why not wc4 at this point).

5 Likes

Why would it require a rebuilt engine as opposed to an edit of the existing engine?

1 Like

Encore, your exaggerations don’t serve you argument as well as you think they do. However, I think we get your point and the point of others here which is to keep the gameplay exactly or nearly the same as it is now.

If the goal is just to keep and retain the current SMALL player base then I think the WCRF team will be able to declare mission accomplished.

But if there’s any delusion WC will get back to its glory days of broad popularity I doubt that’s going to happen.

4 Likes

No I do not fear if my toy will be taken away. They just made Heroes of the storm from casual to mega casual it seems, why they can do whatever they want I will just get over it and change my plans.

You can find a hundred reasons that will put new players down. Whoever wants to learn the game will not stop at the pathing even if it is bad. Whoever wants to think of excuses will not play the game anyway. That’s like 15 years I’ve seen what communities think of RTS and what kind of problems they have. Enough to get a clear picture what ‘scares those new players’ off and what not.

By your logic, the idea that this is a mechanics game and not just a turn based strategy will scare them off. Selection 12 units max will scare them off what next? So? You either learn these or not. That’s the depth of hard mode games.

In the laughs, the one thing I can think of doing it is - add new pathing and collision but have a command (like patrol, move, attac etc) that says ‘Block mode’ and allows units to do the same as so far.

You clearly haven’t seen the latest gameplay videos of it. Pathing seems finer.

Links? Please and thanks!

I have played few games recently and I must say that I don’t find pathing so terrible. Yes, it is simple and naive. Units bump into each other, when they get stuck and decide other route, it takes them time to return to original path when it is clear but overall? The game is slow so you have time to manage your army. And when this pathing is so “naive”, it is also predictable so when you get hang of it, you can predict how will your and oponent units behave.
I also find it to be part of the core gameplay to control your units. Units are more durable than in, lets say SC2, and so you can plan “escape paths” for them in advance if you want to save particular unit.

2 Likes

Pathing and collision should absolutely be reworked.

War3 plays like an archaic mess right now. I just watched a game between Moon and Lyn and saw an Orc rider bounce between two of its allies for a solid 5 seconds during a crucial fight. That’s 5 seconds of no damage. It’s ridiculously bad. If the purists here want to continue to watch War3 sit on the sidelines relegated to rather meaningless tournaments and a paltry player/fanbase then sure, pretty it up, get some new blood into the game, and watch them leave when they realize how dated the game feels.

Yes, I get that you’ve all spent hundreds of hours learning to work within the confines of the game. I understand that change is daunting and hard. What I don’t understand is the “all or nothing” attitude that has you all suggesting the game will be utterly broken if there are even minor tweaks.

You can still surround with better pathing. You can still block with better collision (especially if there’s a difference between allied and enemy collision).

Very minor changes won’t break the game, and there are always ways to offset issues caused by changes (changing unit speed, etc.)

I played this game for years, and at a pretty high level way back in the day. Playing it today feels like I’m running it on a 486 with input lag. It’s brutal and not much fun. It feels bad to play.

If that’s how a fan feels when coming back to it, how is it supposed to lure in and keep the interest of a generation of players raised on games with far better control?

Also, the video examples shown here - the one with the rifles and grunts - that’s such an unbelievably biased and misleading example. My God, how can anyone take that seriously?

9 Likes

Did you just created this account to push your bs butcher?

If you’re talking to me, I used to post frequently on other forums: WoW, Overwatch, SC2, BW, etc.

This account is not new but I’m not sure why past posts aren’t showing for you.

Links please!

Links please. Thanks!

@

^ Exactly. Well said.

Ok you know… I will agree if they improve it for friendly units collision only. I’ve seen some pro players annoyed by their unit not making way to the other one. (SC2 already has this done) And that’s as far as it should go but:

dont bring me this, RTS is a niche and will not get any better. When will people smarten up and not think that some selection or pathing will change the attitude of casuals not touching the hard modes?

Just to mention, everyone who complains about W3 pathing should play AoEII for a while. THAT is a game with realy bad pathing. In comparsion to it, W3 have awesome, super smart pathing. :smiley:

2 Likes

TL;DR

Casual players who do not have any clue about this game want to change pathing in order to destroy it for all the people who put thousands of hours into 1v1s / 2v2s. Thanks guys, makes sense.

3 Likes

Yup that’s basically the players, doturds, WoW-turds ‘ZOMG Bring Da Nagas as a new race!!!’ Pathing is nothing compared to other weird suggestions.

1 Like

I played this game at a high level. I’m by no means a “casual” and I think the pathing should be improved.

It’s not an all-or-nothing issue. You can improve pathing and retain the mechanics that make the game what it is - the question is whether or not Blizzard is willing to work on it.

As it stands, without improvements the game will continue to wallow in near obscurity. It could be - should be - so much more than that. Updated graphics won’t boost the player base when the game plays like a mess compared to virtually all games made in the last decade.

2 Likes