Pathing and Unit Movement is really bad in WC3

Nice vid :smiley:
Also I bet at least half of the people asking for better pathing are running around with fixed formation.

8 Likes

DON’T get me started on Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 1’s Pathfinding.

1 Like

I certainly get what you are trying to demonstrate in that video. On a meta level it makes more sense it would work this way rather than how it currently does in WC3. Missile fire > Melee. Hence, we fight modern wars with guns and planes rather than axes and swords. Who knew?

But as to the point you are demonstrating, no, I don’t rec’d WCRF become SC2 with Orcs. But what you demonstrate in the video is a large pack of rifles vs a large pack of orcs on a flat map with no terrain, no heroes, no buildings, no trees. It’s a somewhat useful demonstration but is also a false and misleading one as well.

I do however stick to the notion that the way WC3 currently feels is garbage compared to what it could/should be.

Trash controls are trash controls.

And if they try to stick with the idea of a “nostalgia” based game design WC3RF will not garner a huge new playerbase. It’s been a small niche game for a long time now and will continue to be so.

I think this will just become another missed opportunity for Blizzard, as they seem to be doing a lot of that lately. What has happened to this company?

4 Likes

And such pathing would bring new players and many will play the RTS part of it more how…? lol. Whoever is trash at the game will remain trash, play it once twice and not go to the scary dragon land. Whoever wants to learn it will use this as a mechanic over worse players.

Large part of the players dont even play melee - change things for it anyway
Smaller part play team games - even those do not understand enough but maybe have some understanding why it matters.
Even smaller part play 1 on 1 where this matters the most. Change pathing anyway.

‘I think it’s bad because it’s bad. Argument: I think so , thus change it’.
This is not Civlization, Age of Empires or what not, exactly because it is a game of mechanics, this matters much more.

I dont even need to ask more to know you just don’t play this game. You only think so cause ‘new games’. It is not a matter of nostalgia but a matter of core mechanic. As much mechanic as Upkeep

2 Likes

And you also have to conisder that Starcraft still has factions where the bulk of their units are Melee like the Zerglings/Ultralisks for the Zerg and the Zealots/Dark Templar for the Protoss.

Heretical talk of upgrading the pathing AND making things less clunky?

Well let me tell you something bub.
BRING ON THAT SWEET HERESY!

but, no really it could use an update please and thanks.

2 Likes

xhttps://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveGentleWrenBabyRage

2 Likes

Impctr, it’s thinking like yours which run games into the ground. You can’t keep everything the same and expect different resuts. WC3 has been a backwater game for a long time now. There’s a reason for that.

"needs to be newer’ is not an argument. You don’t remove interesting mechanics (which you do not understand) just to make it look new. Also, it is not a new warcraft game, it is more or less a remaster.

How it looks is not as important as how it plays. I do not mind changes that can be done without removing the mechanic. What keeps SC2 alive even though it is less played for its difficulty:

• New content (i am not fan of skins, commanders but even that)
  • Updating balance over time (I am not fan of big revamps like sc2 that make you scratch all you used so far but at least unlike war3 that is the same meta as 8-16 years ago). That does not mean it needs to go with bad balances, as some recent ones.
  • New maps more often change of LADDER POOL, oh heck yes, with War3 having random items even those get figured when the same maps exist for over 10 years, some since the beginning.
  • Continuously make updates, balance, ladder, patches , editor
  • all new bnet features and replays taken from sc2’s bnet features

All this does not require 5-th 6th race because I feel people who want new pathing want that too… but but it’s Not warcraft 4? Who cares. I would love the idea on concept but balance would be really difficult, they are already doing it for 4 races unlike sc’s 3 races.

And so it is down to continuous updates, some maps and items, why not add a whole new items with interesting stats than Critical Strike,. Agility, Aura?

But pathing is like Upkeep, an identity thing of the game. You have 2 videos above that show what would be wrong with units moving like Fish in a tank. Basically War3 SC

4 Likes

Impctr, you present a false choice.

It doesn’t have to be either clunky craptistic warcraft3 controls or SC2 Parthian Tactics. It can be something else.

3 Likes

Or you can learn how to play, saying that is clunky or craptistic is just… your opinion based on your experiece (or lack of).

4 Likes

Personal experience matters. Would you drive a car that handled poorly if you could afford an alternative?

I wouldn’t. Who would?

I like nice cars and performance tools. Should I not expect the same from my games?

2 Likes

The thing is we are all driving the same car here, and just because YOU and only a few people dont like how that car “performs” (btw, this is not a performance issue but I will play along) doesnt mean that we have to change it. You can buy another car if you want, luckly for you, this car brand has a new model, with automatic transmission! so you dont have to micro that old, cluncky and crappy manual transmission. Its called SC2.

3 Likes

If only a few thousand people play the game and tens of millions don’t then I guess my view is not that of the minority.

Now I feel like I’m getting trolled.

• You are admiting that you are one of the tens of millions of people who don’t play the game
  • You think that people who dont play the game have a say about the game mechanics

By your logic, lets turn WC3 into a battle royale so more people will like it.

6 Likes

By my logic it’s a dated game that I loved dearly but when I go back and play it I realize why it’s such a backwater game and will likely remain so.

It’s just one person’s evaluation. No need to get your knickers all in a twist about it.

1 Like

I was never particularly bothered by the unit pathfinding in WC3, but an addition I would welcome is some additional formation options accessible by hotkeys, such as tighter or more scattered formations so you can more easily command your army to block passages or avoid area effects. What’s there seems to screw up a lot for me :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to see improvements to the pathfinding. Personally I found the blocking of units annoying even back when I first bought the game. In that respect I thought Warcraft 2 has better pathing because 2 melee armies can actually get into the fight instead of walk and stopping for a while.

But I doubt it’s going to happen on accord of all the “pros” that blizz would annoy by it.

Changing the path finding, unit movement or unit collision boxes would probably make the game much less interesting for skilled players.

1 Like

You are probably right to some extent. However, it smacks of degenerate gameplay, like “last hitting” in MOBA’s that went from an idiosyncratic game engine flaw to “a feature” and then became sin qua non of “skilled play”.