Open invitation to be educated about LV MAPS

Every. single. LV MAP is a poor and unbalanced bastardization (if you would please excuse my language :confused: ) of its original file.

If blizzard wanted to create new maps or use new maps created by players. to either ‘freshen up’ the maplist or simply expand it, then that would be more than welcome.

What’s not welcome how-ever is rehashing balanced oldschool maps that we all loved and played over the years POORLY. Very unwelcome indeed. Like most patches have been actually.

Name me any LV map and I can show you directly and factually why its worse!
Let’s get started.

2 Likes

Hahaha im dying :wink: . Agree with you 100%

1 Like

Sadly, most of the people here demanding changes in mechanics, new races, lore etc dont even play melee. I know about a few things that are wrong with LV maps but I will gladly accept the free education xd. If I’m not wrong you play mostly 4v4 rt right? Lets start with Sanctuary LV.

First of all, on the current 4v4 ladder, sanctuary LV is my favorite map by far.
And overall from the maps we had on 4v4 over the years, I would probably only rate Full scale assault & Sanctuary original higher.
That’s mostly because it is a big map with a lot of creeps, and therefor has the best chance of delivering what i would call a gg in 4v4.
How-ever, any of those maps are far from the ideal map, the ideal map would be a lot bigger. huge maps in 4v4 could work, its just a different style. sadly this was never offered in the map pool.

That being said, sanctuary LV has problems of its own but also at least 1 obvious problem shared with sanctuary original.

Let’s talk about the obvious thing first, the thing they failed to consider while ‘balancing’. Its the ogre magi at 12 and 6 o clock. which can drop an infernal stone~
Its too weak and easily sniped for it to drop such an item, a single player with a merc can do it, 2 blademasters can do it, 2 of any hero really.
And that results in games with infernal stone in human base at 3minute mark.
I’m not against infernal stone as a drop but I am against it dropping from a weak unit like the ogre magi(which is even on the way to your opponents base). You can scout / predict this happening but on 4v4 ladder, well, this creates far more crappy games than good ones. The ogre magi should be changed into a lvl 9 granite golem.

The things they did change:
. Replaced 2 merc camps with goblin laboratories.
This map never ‘needed’ a goblin lab as in there was no need for a zeppelin because of the terrain, like in some maps is the case. Also just because its wc3 does not mean there has to be a goblin lab. The addition of gob lab does not balance anything as far as i can see since both teams have the same opportunity. So why did they do this, to balance or to rehash? In any case, i could live with this if it wasn’t 2 labs literally 5 seconds away from each other.
. Made corner red spots easier
which allows nightelf to cc level 3 + aura item (goldmine ->redcamp) with the same aow quickly, with minimal repair costs. Again it seems questionable what this is ‘balancing’
. made outside expansion (orange camp) harder
borderline red camp if you ask me, good luck taking that one early-game since it has a level 8 dark wizard and stuff, because of that it also has a huge aggro range so aow creeping is out of the question. This is an expansion you could take late-game but basically only if you are pushing your enemy, because otherwise its right in front of your base if you are waiting for them to attack. All in all I dont see the reason for restricting this goldmine from being used early/midgame. Especially since there already is a red-camp nearby this creep camp which already serves the purpose of late game expansion while pushing…
. Removed middle gold mines (this is where the merc camps went)
I really doubt these merc camps have any use since its crept exlusively late-game and nobody needs a 4food priest at that point. This map has a lot of goldmines already but it still offers way more tactical value being a goldmine.
The ideal and obvious solution would be to have 1 gob lab and 1 merc camp on either side , and the goldmines to remain the middle.

. 2 Taverns , red spot in middle.
besides the fact that 2 taverns (close together) is just wasting space of the map, I don’t mind this change all that much.

Some small stuff i probably forgot was other tweaks made to the creep camps, I can’t be arsed to go investigate right now, this is what i remember from the top of my head
All in all pretty incompetent changes but actually quite mild compared to something like battleground LV, which got its entire guts ripped out.

1 Like

I dont usually play team games but the one map I saw is a total abomination is (8)Friends where the mines are facing the center of the map and not placed on the edges and basically all enemies come from the mines. Gnoll Wood still my fave map for team games.

Thats why like SC2 on tl make some map contests, decide good maps, add them every few seasons or more than once a year and change old ones.

Still offering free education as to why LV maps are horrible, every single one of them

Do not bump posts
The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called ‘necro bumping’ or ‘necroing’).

1 Like