#NOnochanges

I agree with this. By building on old story and game mechanics i meant keeping it mostly the same.

To better represent my idea there are “main points of #NOnochanges
that’s where i believe more changes should be made

Nice view into competitive player’s thinking.

This line of thinking is how you end up with 60 dollar MP games like Battlefield and CoD, so I don’t agree with that at all.

About pandering to pros:
There’s 2 types of people that since 2002 have been playing this game constantly (and arguably kept it alive). The pro scene in China and the custom games community.

Like you said, the custom games community is big. I think both campaign and custom game players can benefit from the graphics upgrade. Don’t forget the new players who are coming from WoW, no one like bad graphics.

The models:
We’ve seen the pros commenting about how hard it is to distinguish units. I totally agree as a competitive player as well as a custom games player. Do you really want to know how bad it would be if you were to play a Nexus Wars type game where theres 8 players and the screen gets clogged with units no one has any idea who’s they belong to? There needs to be a common sense about the visibility. I bet new players would have an even harder time differentiating units than a pro.
It’s not just about throw in as much detail as possible and forget about the players ability to see or control their units.

I agree.

The UI:
I like the bulky old UI. Seeing the great details of the skulls and bones on the UI when I’m playing Undead makes me feel more immersed in the RTS race that I’m playing. It also helps seeing the items better and the cooldowns on spells.

I think this is a matter of taste, but yes, I agree there should be an option to switch between old and new UI.

1 Like

When I say “invest” I don’t necessarily refer to just money. People invest time, effort in organising tournaments and they create custom maps and mods. That’s what invested people means.
And people that purchase the game and only play the campaign once, put the game down and demand changes they don’t even understand on a game design level, do not need to be catered to.

ok. as long as they add female paladins to this (i got tje BETA and play it the whole evening) i rly agree to main post. The game looks awesome, just make the terrain 2019-2020 looks like and it will be the best game ever.
p.s and with the DCs fordaluvofgod
p.s.s #NONOCHANGES

2 Likes

To comment on indistinguishability of individual models.

Most of my Warcraft III time was spent playing custom games where I’ve been presented with custom models so ugly they could’t have been distinguished from buildings but i got used to it. That’s why i believe that when you make models beautiful there is still a way to make things distinguishable in custom mods.

As for the competitive part, i can’t talk about if from my own experience, however i believe there is always way to distinguish things (especially when the game is made by company with experience).

Something to think about: If original Warcraft III was made with hardly distinguishable models, people who don’t like change would say they’re making new Warcraft too easy by making models easy to distinguish.

Indistinguishability… hope the word exists.

1 Like

When I say “invest” I don’t necessarily refer to just money. People invest time, effort in organising tournaments and they create custom maps and mods. That’s what invested people means.
And people that purchase the game and only play the campaign once, put the game down and demand changes they don’t even understand on a game design level, do not need to be catered to.

I think a lot of casual players will go straight to custom games once they’re done with the campaign. Seeing how huge the wc3 custom scene were at its peak, catering to pros only is going to backfire.

Again, Blizzard needs to find a balance between the two, and right now improving the graphics is not going to impact the pro scene a whole lot. A good example will be going from Dota 1 to Dota 2. Did anyone complain why the heroes didn’t look the way they did in wc3? Or that the colors are too muddy? The answer is no, the game received praises from pros and new players on day one launch.

1 Like

Well said,
naexpim also said something along the lines.

It’s good as long as models stay true to their character (meaning Jaina won’t look more like a dwarf than a human or something)
edit -

For example pandaren brewmaster should look more on par with pandaria standard of models. (World of Warcraft was in a way correcting things that were not fully thought through in Warcraft III)

of course the art style should have the same “cartoony” look as it does now, I’m not talking extreme changes, i just want artists to have more freedom

You’d be suprised how many don’t. Reforged will have an influx on WoW players that come in, see what’s up and leave. It’s a business strategy from Blizzard’s part as well.

As of right now, they look far from cartoonish which I hate. In my opinion it’s deviated too much from what made Warcraft different from other fantasy titles.
edit - it’s void of color, looks dark gritty and depressive.

Unfortunately, that’s where we are starting to get subjective and it’s everyone’s personal taste. I like the real parts of it :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a good observation they might think about improving

In my opinion, look at the game as it is and what to improve, don’t compare it to old Warcraft

Yeah, I don’t think they look far from cartoonish at all.
It’s still cartoonish style but with semi-realistic feel to it to make them look and feel more alive.

1 Like

You’d be suprised how many don’t. Reforged will have an influx on WoW players that come in, see what’s up and leave. It’s a business strategy from Blizzard’s part as well.

I don’t think it’s fair to write off the potential of having new long-term players. Instead of thinking the esports scene will stagnate, think of how much it can flourish by drawing more players to the scene. Both old and new.

I like the message but the hashtag is confusing.

So No- No changes, means you want changes?

#NOnoNOnoNOnoNOnochanges

3 Likes

That’s right, I understand this is a nostalgia game but having some improvements in the UI ( I don’t know, such us showing Control Groups as in SC2) it would improve quality of life without damaging pro players IMO.
#NOnochanges

4 Likes

But you can’t tell me that you are happy with this beta. There is still a lot to do…

Same, I really want gorgeous models and new additions to the campaign and the game as a whole. #NOnochanges

4 Likes

Most of us probably want enough changes to bring in a new group of players. The reason I quit playing years ago was the lack of players online. I don’t know about anyone else but I got tired of waiting forever for a game and then playing the same few players all the time. My hope for Reforged is that it brings WC3 back to life and makes it as active as it used to be in it’s prime. It’s just not fun playing a game that’s basically dead besides the few who hung around for years.

Forgot :P. #Nonochanges

2 Likes

As someone who would mostly play 1v1 I agree with the idea of making it feel like a new game. War3R makes me feel like im playing Warcraft 4 with these graphics (so the more they make it realistic and not cater to old cartoony graphics, t he better). I don’t know if they want with latest updates to bring the graphics to look like old one, but I like the Old Blizzcon 2018 more realistic colors. It makes it feel like new game, otherwise will feel still like old war3 just changed models (like one could do that in a map with imported models lol).

I don’t know how many players from pros talk about it, so far I’ve heard grubby only. I have a feeling that some think things should revolve around how he sees things. But come on if he had played SC2 for some longer time, he would’ve seen there are no issues when in slower game like war3 you have less cartoony graphics.

But something good to have for everyone’s liking - SC2 has Team Color Intensity that allows for more readability if needed. if such is implemented for team color or saturation, there’s no need to make the graphics more cartoony like old one. Which would be a step back from what they are doing.

3 Likes

I really think making it backward compatible to classic was one of the worst mistakes they could of made. It’s prevented changes to heroes, abilities, spells and the potential to add to the existing game in a new and meaningful way.

They could of added new units, heroes and all sorts to reforged to re-invigorate the game and create a new gaming community but instead limited themselves by any potential future changes they would make having to work on both versions of the game.

Yes, I have a certain amount of classic nostalgia and it’s probably my favorite game I’ve ever played… But it’s 2019, and it’s not just graphics updates we’re after, there’s a lot of gaming systems from SC2 which were top notch which could of been added (yes, the +xp is a great edition!).

You can also see how backwards compatibility has ruined a lot of the reforged beta already…

3 Likes

What?