Night Elf hero units are not accurate to Wc3

All of the campaign hero models for the Night Elves are based on their Wow models instead of the original Warcraft 3 models. I really think they need to reflect the proper Wc3 models, afterall this is “Warcraft 3: Reforged”, not ‘Wow Reforged’.

• Tyrande’s hair is supposed to be wild and blue, not salon-styled green. As with her ridiculous high heels, this little change has a massive effect on her percieved personality. Does she hunt through the wilds and defend her land, or does she hang out with hairstylists and go to the mall?

This white outfit is also inaccurate to her original model, though I can live with it.

• Furion/Malfurion’s hair was also originally pale blue instead of green. And his eyes in ALL prior depictions are gold. Why are they blue now? His golden eyes are an important lore point for him.

• Illidan’s tattoos are supposed to be black, not glowing green team colors. His skin colour is also wrong, it’s meant to be pale and greyish after spending 10,000 years below ground. And I have no idea why he’s suddenly become a bodybuilder…

What would be players’ reaction if Blizzard randomly gave Arthas black hair, or changed Thrall’s armor? It makes no sense why you would do this. Some small alterations are expected but these go too far.

Tyrande especially is virtually unrecognizable.

17 Likes

Illidan should get green parts only after consuming Gul’dan’s skull, not before. (this and any other sign of demonic corruption)

3 Likes

His base model doesn’t have green glowy stuff?

That’s because we saw the tiger before, rather than the elf.

7 Likes

Had a thread of my own about this topic.
I put my fears out there a long time ago, and alas they were ignored.

This is what we have to accept now I guess.
I would say I am about 70% happy with the updated models…

Concerns over Character Model Changes

My feedback:
Units:

Archer: Perfect. Really like this look.
Ballista: Whatever does the job.
Chimaera: Don’t like the batwings, needs to look more like scales than skin IMO…
Druid of the Claw: Looks good in human form, glad it doesn’t look like a Worgen like I was originally concerned about… Bear form however looks way too friendly and not wild enough. Looks more likely to hug you than maul you…

Also if you put Tauren horns on it… Would it look Horde? Idk something not right with the colour scheme and the markings here IMO.
Druid of the Talon: Should be blue hair, shares a similar face to the new Far Seer? Looks kinda weird in my eyes. And yes before it was a cloak of feathers… Now wings? Looks strange.
Dryad: Hair is messed up, looks like the HoTS Dryad hero (if you made them both silhouettes its almost identical).
Also looks like it walked out of a Disney movie, needs to look a bit more wild and less like it walked out of a hair salon 10 minutes ago with hairspray.
Ent: Is it halloween? Seriously the face looks like a pumpkin. Rest is great though.
Faerie Dragon: Yeah fine. Nice colouring.
Hippogryph: Too much like a parrot, gryphon beak. Colours are far from the original and the shape is too… round? Should look like this:
https://warcraftmounts.com/images/skins/hippogryphskin-img4.jpg
Hippogryph Archer: Same complaint, but rest is awesome.
Huntress: Good can’t complain here much. Although green hair again? Panther looks a bit too BIG instead of sleak, slim and agile. Can easily be confused with the new PoTM’s tiger.
Owl Forms: Yes fine, kinda like the cute aspect.

Heroes:

Demon Hunter (Female): Really good, like the design. However needs more face tattoos. I imagined it more like https://imgur.com/a/q1e818d.
Furion: Two complaints about this are his hair should be BLUE!
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/heroes-and-villains8020/images/a/a8/Furion.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180621101612
And his staff is very far from the original. Looks too much like something you’d see in a troll camp?
https://i.imgur.com/4UZTUQk.jpg
You decide…
Keeper of the Grove: Too muscly, too THICC, and where is the beard gone… I always imagined more like stag horns than moose but whatever…
Illidan: Too muscly but I guess we were always getting the WoW Illidan… IMO looked better in Classic Wc3 - more agile.
Maiev: Perfect.
Naisha: 10/10! Really really like it.
Priestess of the Moon: It’s amazing. Really love everything. The hair, the colour scheme the armour. It’s perfect! Only concern I have is that I will struggle to tell this apart from the huntress on a panther. They share a similar colouring. Needs to be more white.
Shandris Feathermoon: Again same as Naisha, very well done. Although looks sort of like a pink power ranger. Consider less shiney.
Tyrande Whisperwind: This is one that is extremely close to my heart. However it’s not too bad at all. Just sad that future Tyrande from BFA has magically time travelled into the past to assume the younger blue haired Tyrande from Wc3.
Detail on the armour is amazing. But it just doesn’t make sense to me.
See my old post:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/concerns-over-character-model-changes/7085
Bow is 10/10.
Warden: I think this is my favourite model. Really really nice. Might become my new favourite in the entire game infact.
All the ships: 8/10.

5 Likes

To me, at least, it was pretty clear from the get-go that Warcraft Reforged’s art direction was about unifying a bunch of different elements and influences (kind of like HOTS does for their hero designs) from the Warcraft series. Reforged characters seem to be taking the majority of their nods from the most modern and canon iterations with a few exceptions.

2 Likes

I made a couple of quick edits for how they should look. Or at least as close to their original appearances as my photoshop skills will allow:

Tyrande:
https://i.imgur.com/T6ugQFi.png

Furion:
https://i.imgur.com/3Pj1WSh.png

6 Likes

Happily, they made like in WoW nowdays, not WC3:Classic.
These modern variants look much cooler.

7 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you but they clearly say that Warcraft Reforged even without The campaign with wow content will still be a “bridge” for connect to World of warcraft. So in wow they decide illidan have green tattoo? He get green tattoo.

You will not have Warcraft 3 with only the skin upgrade, this is still a bridge for connect to The current lore of WoW.

6 Likes

Wait illidan tattoos aren’t supposed to be of the same colour of the player?

1 Like

Calling someone a nerd on a video game forum is an interesting route.

4 Likes

Looks so much better.

Use ` on either side for links:

like this

2 Likes

I’m fine with changes for the most part. I can live with em.

The one that stands out to me is the Hippogryph with parrot colors. This is supposed to be a Raven/Stag hybrid creature. The dark colors was very indicative of this, and I’m not digging the new colors and tail design that makes it out to be some other type of tropical bird that doesn’t fit the dark forest motifs of the Night Elves.

Hippogriff doesn’t even have this new design in WoW so it confuses me why they have this big change.

11 Likes

Yes I missed that, in Reforged they do match the player colour. But that actually makes it even more wrong, since his tattoos will now be blue and purple.

Eh, the normal color for Night Elves is teal, so it will be a green-ish.

Yes I missed that, in Reforged they do match the player colour. But that actually makes it even more wrong, since his tattoos will now be blue and purple.
[/quote]

Oh yeah I agree it will probably look bad, especially in big matches like 4v4 with many weird colors. They will become Teletubbies

because china likes bright colors, big sword and topless dead girls on horses. And as hippos have no sword and are not female DKs - they color them with rainbow!!

And it’s great that they aren’t because they look 10x better than the classic ones.

3 Likes

Well. Let’s hope they release skins then so you can reskin your heroes and units to the look and feel which you like.

MyGuy it’s quite clear that Blizzard don’t give a rats behind about keeping the game as it was in Warcraft 3 for the purists and they sure as hell don’t care about changing/ altering/ improving the story like they sold the game as for the past year.
They are doing whatever they can and want in order to get this game out as soon as possible.

(really Blizzard a$$ and cr4p are censored? Grow up.)

What an eagle eye to spot on those details! Personally in wc3 classic i just saw 3 or 4 coloured triangles as the whole head.