MAC Unable To Initialize Graphics

Hello there!
I have just updated Warcraft 3 and it seems not to be working on my MacBook :frowning: because of weird message “unable to initialize graphics”
Weird because everything did work perfectly on my MacBook
Help!!!

Have you tried to add those commands to the shortcut path that you use to open the game, like -graphicsapi Direct3D9 or -graphicsapi OpenGL.? If you have already used these commands, see the 1.30 patch notes to find more commands that can solve your problem or some other Mac related posts on this forum.

1 Like

On a Mac!? Might as well delete the game rather than trying that since Mac does not support any version of DirectX. Only Microsoft Windows and the OS used by Xbox support DirectX.

The two supported APIs by the Mac build are Metal and OpenGL. Be aware that older Mac models, especially those with older Mac OS installed, are likely not supported.

1 Like

Hi there, I just bought W3reforged and the game installed just fine.
However, when I press play, I get the same message (unable to initialize graphics) and the game won’t even start.
Have you already found a sollution for this problem?
I really need help, thanks!

Are you running on macOS Catalina?

1 Like

No, I’m running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
This is the error code I guess:
840AA680-B38F-40A2-A1C1-6011F480CD27
And I can’t find on internet how to solve this problem either…
I’m lost before even being able to play the game lol

Hey there, I’m running on High Sierra 10.13.6 and it seems to be working for me. When exactly does this error pop up?

1 Like

Well, I installed the game and everything went perfectly fine.
after the installation was done, I could press play on the battle.net app, but when I do, a window appears with the message “the application encountered an unexpected error” and the game won’t even start.

On your mac, click the apple, go to about this mac, then click system report. Under Graphics/Displays, does it say

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3?

1 Like

I can’t see that, so I guess not…
Here’s the info about my Graphics/Displays:
NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a3
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3571
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900 (Widescreen eXtended Graphics Array Plus)
UI Looks like: 1440 x 900
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: DisplayPort

I have some bad news, I did some looking around and it looks like your gfx card doesn’t support metal. There’s no toggle I can find in-game to switch from metal to openGL (which is what your card supports).

You may have some luck launching through the terminal. Take a look at this thread, and let me know if you need help navigating the terminal or anything: Unable to open after new patch on mac - #2 by Unitil-1295

Edit: I tried launching with openGL support on my mac, and didn’t have any luck (though I have a gfx card which does support metal, it also supports OpenGL). You may want to look for a refund.

1 Like

Oh, this sucks!
I’ve been a fan of the game for a very long time, and was excited to finally be able to play reforged but no luck I guess :frowning:

My IT skills are not the greatest to say the least, the thread you’ve sent me seems helpful, but I have absolutely no clue how to do all those things and what they exactly mean…

However, you’ve been very helpful, very kind of you! thank you so much and enjoy the game for me too mate.

Noticed a notification for the post I had made awhile back, and thought i’d ensure you’re aware of current requirements.

Blizzard has modified the the Mac version of Warcraft III to be Metal compatible ONLY. This means the solution you may have read regarding OpenGL are no longer valid. Blizzard is focusing on more current gen machines with regards to Macs, hence you will not be able to play WCIII reforged on your current system.

As noted above, unless you have another computer that is compatible with the current requirements, you’re best off getting a refund for reforged while you’re still eligable.

System Requirements:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-reforged-system-specifications/

You will notice your OS is perfectly compatible, however, your GPU w/ Mac is not and would need to be upgraded to run reforged. Though that may be a little hard considering you’re running a Macbook.

You could try dual booting Windows as your GPU is compatible with dx11, which is required for the windows install. However, I cannot guarantee that i’d work, as your GPU really only supports dx10_1 features, and this can be problematic for games that require dx11. Also, your graphics card is a little underpowered even by minimum required specifications.

Regardless, good luck with however you choose to proceed.

3 Likes