Mac - Game Freezing / Crashing

The game has crashed/frozen my Macbook Pro 3x tonight; once during Riders on the Storm when cleansing the well, then twice on The Fires Down Below just after the cutscene before fighting the large group of Murlocs at the end. Anyone else having this issue?

3 Likes

Howdy!

Can you post up your Mac’s model ID and OSX version?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor - 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
IOS - macOS Catalina Version 10.15.2

Let me know if you need any add’l info. Thank you!

Can you upload your SPX file to a web site like Pastebin.com → Post back with just the ending, for example, https://pastebin.com “/RwQcw333” ← This part.

Thank you!

I also experienced 2 freezes, both on the first mission. Other then that performance was doing very well.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 203.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.45f1
Serial Number (system): C02VD2C4HTDD
Hardware UUID: 9A46A1DF-103D-51AB-BF83-D0035344BB3A

Mine only froze once so far, just after I completed the Rescue Muradin’s Men quest. Also running MacOS 10.15.2

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 8
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Memory: 64 GB

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB

I experienced it yesterday as well a few times, the game froze but I was able still to access menu or select units. Unfortunately selecting “Quit to Main Menu” froze it completely, had to kill it.

macOS 10.15.2, iMac 27" from 2017 I can post more details when I’m back home from work.

1 Like

Crashing on a Mac. Culling of Stratholme especially. Third crash in a row. Also had similar freeze problems on other levels. Additionally there’s the occasional graphics lag as well. Running at 2k level graphics on a Retina Mac, this shouldn’t be overloading at all.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac17,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: 170.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.34f2

I loaded the mission for a 3rd time and I found that the cutscene was a little different this time…the 3 large Murlocs were actually moving (instead of standing still), the magic wall was actually there this time, and Sinjin was on the screen (he was invisible last time). I was able to successfully complete the mission without it freezing again. So, it seems like the game couldn’t/didn’t load the proper assets the first two times I played it, but since they loaded the 3rd time it worked ok. I will update this post if I have any further freezing issues.

I am also experiencing the type of freeze that “Fallen” is describing. The game freezes, but all sounds and idle animations keep playing. Once I press quit game or exit program my entire computer stops working (can’t force quit the game, can’t tab out, all I can do is force shut off the computer itself. Note: This was also an issue on the old Wc3 clients (classic). Please, please, please fix this. I paid for this game to be able to relive the campaign.
Running on Macbook air

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.4 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Yea my freeze was just the same as sjlol

My game froze while loading the campaign for the first time. After the game completely crashed and restarting it worked.

16" MacBook Pro, i9, 8gb 5500m

Also fans are blowing like crazy… is this expected??

3 posts were split to a new topic: Game Freezing/Crashing

Mine has crashed at least 5 times as well now.

| Model Name:|MacBook Pro|
| Model Identifier:|MacBookPro16,1|
| Processor Name:|8-Core Intel Core i9|
| Processor Speed:|2.3 GHz|
| Number of Processors:|1|
| Total Number of Cores:|8|
| L2 Cache (per Core):|256 KB|
| L3 Cache:|16 MB|
| Hyper-Threading Technology:|Enabled|
| Memory:|32 GB|

Hey Blizzard, same problems for me. Experienced lots of freezes and crashes (10+) on a MacBook pro 2019 16 inch. Had to force reboot my laptop a few times because my computer freezed completely. This happened during campaign missions at random, playing cinematics or when pausing / saving the game.

Besides this, I experienced few times problems with save games which disappeared or where not the latest save when loading them again.

Also I experienced a very low framerate / stuttering main menu which I believe is a known issue. The game itself has a decent framerate.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.3.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 6
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M
VRAM (Total): 4 GB

Consistent freezing problems on big maps ie. Fall of Silvermoon and Stratholme

Having the same issue. Frequent crashes in the campaign on a 2018 MBP 15" with Radeon Pro 560x running Catalina 10.15.3. Have to completely power off my macbook and restart. Frustrating this happens so frequently.

I didn’t have any crash problems until the human campaign, chapter 5. Similar to others, the game froze up with the audio working fine still. I could look around through the map and such, but all the units were invisible and the entire game seemed to be frozen in place. The game also froze up my computer completely when i tried to exit the mission. And prior to the crash, the “checkpoint reached” message that pops up on your screen becomes glitched - instead of the typical message with the orange arrows blinking on each end, the whole message becomes a merged, single orange box of some sort (with the words obviously gone at this point). The orange box pulsates and rotates and never goes away. On the next attempt of the level, it worked fine for some reason, but unfortunately… when I got to chapter six, it crashed 4 times in a row and i haven’t tried to play the campaign again since. The crash on this level was worse than the crash on the level before too - i couldn’t look around or click the menu button and such as before, instead, my computer just instantly froze up to an unusable stage, all four times. The same “checkpoint reached” glitch i previously described happened all four times it crashed too. The crash also happened around the same time into the mission (15-20 minutes). I have photo of the glitched symbol, but we cant add photos to posts. Computer info below:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 6
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.80.34.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.46f12

Hey folks,

The original poster for this thread already resolved their issue. If you’re still having this problem, please post your own thread or contact support to receive individual assistance.