It takes forever

Hello, I play from Chile and after the arrival of the ladder it is very difficult for me to find games. Aid?

You live too far! Move closer to Central Europe!

In some cases using a VPN to get to the US West server directly can help. The issue arose when they added an eastern US server in Chicago, which improved pings for the eastern half of the US and Canada, but seems to have caused some bizzare issue where players in some places farther away from it can’t find games. There’s definitely people playing as I get games non stop.

If a VPN doesn’t help, there is a modification avialable known as war3 champions which offers servers in more locations making it easier for people outside North America, western Europe, and southeast Asia to play. The catch is that the general level of skill of the players who use this is higher, so you may have to decide whether games that are too tough is better than no games at all.

Also: Make sure you’re playing in Ranked mode, this is where most players are. 1v1 2v2 and 4v4 are by far the most popular modes, so I would try those.

What VPN do you recommend downloading?

If you want something cheap that will still do the job, mudfish. You might get slightly better pings (if that’s an issue) with pingzapper or zeroping, but mudfish is ridiculously cheap compared to all the heavily advertised ones out there and it still works just fine. A couple dollars gets you gigabytes of bandwidth, which if you only use it for games, will last a really, really long time. And if it doesn’t help, you’re barely out anything.

Do a traceroute to see where your traffic is heading when you connect to battle.net. If it looks like you’re getting routed through the chicago server, try selecting a VPN node near the west coast to see if it gets you connected to the west coast server instead. Do this with the Americas gateway selected of course. In practice the consequences of selecting different gateways to the in-game experience is relatively low, since matchmaking is actually global. If you choose a different region the game will try to match you with players in that region, but players from different regions show up in games on a routine basis.

That said: 3v3 and FFA are substantially less popular than 4v4 and 1v1 especially, so be sure to queue for those first to get a more accurate picture of whether or not the VPN will help you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.