Is there a valid reason why this game is always online?

Well, it isn’t always online, so the question is irrelevant. It just starts online by default because, generally, you have an internet connection. You can go offline at any time by going to the main menu and selecting Logout.

Yes there are times when we don’t have one, but in this day and age, it is increasingly uncommon. Thus why would you want to not have access to your friends list and such when you have the connection there for it?

I’m legitimately tired of the paranoia surrounding games being online or connecting to the internet. I basically never not have the internet unless I have a power outage. I really don’t care about stuff like this provided it isn’t interfering with my ability to enjoy the product. Since there is indeed an option to go offline, I am unconcerned.

Dude, that is the same excuse they made about Diablo 3. It took less than two weeks before the code was cracked and you could pirate it, which is what infuriated me as a customer who pre-purchased D3. They could play offline, I could not.

The most likely reason for always online is to incentivize people to partake in the online functions, like auction house in D3 and Versus in Wc3. It is probably also an aim of theirs to stop people from sharing the game with their friends who haven’t bought the game, but that is so weak because the ones who didn’t purchase it or even borrow it can still pirate it for free!

2 Likes

Because it’s the refunded version of the game.

Sounds about right.