How to get back to classic version?

I want to know how to get back to classic version. The last update installed 30Gb of Warcraft 3 REFORGED. ¿WTF?.. i bought warcraft 3 classic not 30Gb of Warcraft reforged.

Hey, unfortunately you cant go back to the classic TFT client officially.

Fortunately there are still old builds out there. Check out this thread: For those who want to play Classic Warcraft 3 - #51 by GiantAxe-1156170

1 Like

You can download the Warcraft III PTR client from the official website. Install it and you will have access to the old multiplayer as well.

You will only need to provide your RoC key.

Hope this helps.

piratebay . com

1 Like

sadly noone knows about this so noone plays there, and when blizzard finds out they left the PTR server online, they propably shut it down.

1 Like

There are a couple ways you can go about this.

If you ONLY care about the single player: Just reinstall using your discs, and NEVER click on Battlenet. You’ll be able to play the single player and LAN vanilla out of the discs.

Option 2: Download the Public Test client, and play that way. It will install WC3 to the version just before Reforged took place. As of now, Battlenet support still works for it too, and for now you can still find matches online, and it operates exactly as before. Just make sure to launch it from the Warcraft. exe and not the PTR Launcher though, or it will update. This method will give you single player access and Battlenet access, but might not work on LAN.

Option 3: Use either the PTR download, or a clean CD install, and also download something like GameRanger, or Hamachi, or WC3 Connect - you will not have access to private servers and online functionality which essentially works through the LAN menu. People recommend downloading and patching to version 1.27b as that’s the version that existed before the new WC3 launcher. Battlenet won’t work using this method, but you can play online using one of these services, and single player will work fine.

2 Likes

i own both classic wc3 and d2 and i dont understand the need to download 30gb versions, like wow has separate versions for classic and live and it works perfectly fine, i would certainly like if it was available as an option to download current wc3 and d2 without new content, or use same launcher but separate content paths were you could avoid it, like i would like same even in starcraft as i dont like some aspects of new game look and new content looks like unnecessary bundled software, i appreciate remasters but like in case i wasnt looking to play that it shouldnt impede on existing classic games in form of bundling it together like that.

reforged is the classic games. It takes everything that was on frozen throne and adds to it, so if you try to download Frozen Throne you just get the Reforged. thats how it works

If Im not mistaken, doesnt D2 already allow you to do what you ask?

Warcraft 3 doesnt for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Reforged was meant to literally be an extension of the old game. Second, there was a known security exploit where anybody you play the old WC3 game with online could just take over your computer and run arbitrary program code as administrator without triggering your antivirus, so it had to be put down.

I see this as an incredibly uninformed opinion. Blizzard Employees have literally published hours long talks such as at past BlizzCons where they explain how they worked for months or perhaps years to restore a working game experience that ran on their new game engine but masqueraded as looking like the old 2005 World of Warcraft game. Developing that technology took them a significant amount of effort!

Warcraft 3 is completely different. Whereas WoW was constantly patching and changing from 2005 to 2019 – for 14 years before “WoW Classic” was invented – I would argue that Warcraft 3 saw no meaningful gameplay changes from the 2005 patch that added some new heroes until the 2018 patches that began to introduce Reforged-focused changes and updates to the game. In addition, Reforged was built by modding on top of the Frozen Throne 2005 game and the developers put into Reforged (through great technical effort) an emulator of the Frozen Throne game from 2003 so that Reforged can crossplay either the classic experience or the new graphics truly “Reforged” art experience.
So, through great technical effort by the developers, Reforged ALREADY DOES what you are asking.

But thats where we get to the problem. This company is not interested in putting enough money in Reforged to keep it running. Especially with this year’s patches, Reforged saw the addition of a bunch of new bugs and half done features that ruin its core functionalities and break parts of how it emulates classic even. The world editor would just randomly crash or the game would render the wrong texture on a campaign unit.

So, the distinction between WoW classic and WoW retail is a distinction between two Activision experiences. These are two polished and working game experiences that share a core underlying engine.

On the flipside, Reforged is an emulator for Warcraft 3 that doesnt work as well because Activision touched it, but didnt finish (because screw us apparently?). So, if now Activision tried to make another emulator of the “Warcraft 3” classic, that would involve them touching it again, but since they dont care about it they would just make another thing players dont like. Maybe they would just give you a magic button to more easily play the Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos gameplay on Reforged engine because you seemed confused into believing that Reforged engine wouldnt give you that experience.

The new button that Activision would make using Reforged’s engine then would be again just as broken as Reforged, because Activision would still not care about it and would use their latest code builds which are still corrupted by bugs that they are not interested in fixing.

So, they actually cannot give you the classic like you ask, because they essentially already did to the extent that their managers know how, which judging by your demeanor they didnt know how to do or at least didnt communicate it to you.

So, no, you shall never have a magic button that officially plays Warcraft 3 Classic. Not unless Activision decides to care about this game again, but if they did then why would you even play classic? The logic of it all just falls apart.

The data is provided becuase it can still be used in the map editor to create content that both owners and non-owners can enjoy, even if you don’t buy the remaster. this game is 20 years old, and in that time span, most people have upgraded the tech in their homes considerably. Thus they desired to not simply re-release the game but update the graphics and such.

I really, really don’t understand what the big deal is, unless you’re on some limited data internet plan. Here in the West, unlimited plans are pretty much the norm, and data storage is the cheapest component you can buy for your PC. You can find tons of games today that require more disk space/download size than this game does. Monster Hunter World is nearly 100 GB with the high res textures, and that was a hugely popular game that sold millions of copies, so clearly game data size wasn’t a big concern among its playerbase)

It was far simpler to offer just one version of the game, and have the classic/reforged toggle. Blizzard’s primary customer base (i.e., not so much this game specifically) tends to be pretty serious PC gamers who have tons of disk space and fast, unrestricted internet connections, for whom downloading and having 30GB of game isn’t really a big deal. In the case of this game, despite the fact that they marketed this and the other remasters to the current gaming community, has a notably older and more diverse player population who may come from places where modern PC equipment has historically been harder to come by (right now id say its hard to come by everywhere, but if you had a gaming PC from before the pandemic, you’re probably fine), and they (perhaps incorrectly) determined that it wasn’t very necessary to do this, given that everyone who plays all their other games have PCs that can handle the game and have enough disk space.

While early in the game’s development a seperate compact version was considered, it apparently didn’t get off the drawing board or didn’t get approved by Activision.

And while this lesson was learned with Diablo II Resurrected, which left the old version of the game in place both for people with old PCs and for people who weren’t interested in the changes that were made, it is pretty unlikely they will make this kind of move after-the-fact. Not impossible, but unlikely. We shall see if they deliver any more of the updates they promised were coming earlier this year.

At any rate, you certainly still can find the old clients elsewhere online or install them from the original discs, but you won’t be able to go online with them, as they will patch up to reforged if you attempt to do so.

i ask this because old versions run on a different engine and differ in sys requirements, you cant run new versions on integrated graphics, and in general remasters and original versions are not the same game so clamping both together is like a lot like puting two different hockey sticks with a tape, it makes little sense to me as usually people either prefer classic or remaster and usually i either play one of those, if i want a remaster down the road i am totally fine with 30gb download but here devs basically force me to switch to new versions because of “reasons” which mostly just company politics to make more money by driving useless content or bundles into more customers that otherwise happy playing existing product, like i simply ask for them to continue support of classic versions same as wow classic under separate name so it doesnt look like some clamped joke as a reference what the original game looked like. as i say both wc3 and d2 remasters include inferior versions of classic products that either lag or bugged out or some form of gfx artifacts like in case of starcraft, all classic games deserve a proper title that is dedicated keeping original content alive.