How do you play WC3 Classic?

After playing the Reforged campaign for a few hours I decided to stop because the new graphics with the same UI were immersion breaking. I read a couple of posts saying that they could still be WC3 classic. I’ve tried downloading the classic WC3 client but it leads me directly to Reforged. Anyone know how I can get the original WC3 experience back WITHOUT installing Reforged?

5 Likes

I found uninstalling the current Battlenet client fixed this for me because it downloads OVER your classic version ruining it. So ditch the main Bnet client.

I’m hating Blizzard that it’s come to this.

2 Likes

True, but really Diablo 2 and W3 classic is all they got going for them, so it was super easy to drop their “advertising” app which is not required for both of those.

J.G here, Find the folder location either from the battle.net launcher or explorer (I.E: C:\program files (x86)\warcraft iii) and find Warcraft III.exe

…and? Is there more to this? lol

Unfortunately Blizzard doesn’t offer a classic client anymore. If you want to play classic you’ll have to do this: For those who want to play Classic Warcraft 3

I haven’t confirmed if you can just play the classic client under Warcraft III.exe in program files (as i deleted it) but if that works it would be so much easier.

The safest and most stable way is to install the game from some offline installer (CD/DVD, 1.21b Installer, hope you made some backup, because its no longer available on Blizzard’s website) and then apply the standalone 1.27b patch. I run my current game that way. Every version above 1.27b pretty much updates itself to Reforged from the get-go. There are 1.30/1.31 versions floating around if you really want that widescreen, but they are… legally questionable and a bit wonky.

What has this world come to.

1 Like

I’m still in disbelief this is happening. I can’t believe my favorite game is gone and now I have to use questionable methods to get the classic version working.

1 Like

I you have the cd keys and live in mid-western michigan I can hook you up with the cd’s for an install if you like. They are the first print versions and you’ll have to get the patches from somewhere (that is not blizzard so you don’t get “upgraded”).

That would be amazing but I live in the UK. Thanks for the offer mate :slight_smile: I’m thinking of hunting down a cheap used copy on ebay and a dvd drive.

1 Like