For those who want to play Classic Warcraft 3

It’s pretty telling when people would rather play the pre-Activision games (D2, WC3…) rather than the new ones.

Take the hint, Blizzard.

4 Likes

Heya.
just a note, for 1.31 link ! Checksum error in Warcraft III 1.31.1\Data\data\data.001. The file is corrupt

Funny, the “Play Offline” button is greyed out for me, and looking at the forums it is for some other people as well. Being online defeats the whole purpose of LAN play in the first place. Why should anyone accept the practice of always online when it’s not necessary (and gets in the way) to play LAN or use offline features, especially since we had this functionality just a few days ago?

Additionally you cannot play against Custom games against AI without being online. Sure, you can technically be offline, but they use the online custom game framework, which means no pausing, saving, loading, cheats etc.

I disagree with normalizing modern day companies removing features and implementing DRM that takes away from the users experience, even if there is a perceived trade off like the one you mentioned. Giving up basic functionality for being able to easily and freely copy for multiple installations is pretty disingenuous as well because you make it sound like you couldn’t do so in the first place.

It is not common practice for developers to make their game UI using web languages. It’s a lazy solution that decreases performance and cuts corners just so the company can save a bit of money. We develop games in high level languages for a reason. You know you have an issue when the menu runs worse than the actual game.

It definitely is more desirable from a production perspective if you don’t want to hire competent developers though, I will give you that.

I make it sound as if Blizzard is forcing this update onto players unfairly because that’s exactly what they are doing. If you didn’t know, game versions above 1.27b use a newer launcher that will force you to update even if you don’t have the Blizzard app. This is why you can’t patch above this version. Additionally you cannot play on BattleNet using the old client. I don’t think I need to explain to you the reasoning on why Blizzard decided to not offer a classic client as it’s pretty transparent. If you want to play on the old client, especially on versions above 1.27b, you have to find full builds and download them. Since Blizzard doesn’t offer the classic client anymore, they are effectively forcing their players to resort to unofficial means to obtain and play Warcraft 3.

1 Like

Being “offline” refers to your network not being connected to the internet. LAN is literally Local Area Network which can itself be both “online” and “offline”, it generally refers to a network state that is independent of and irrelevant to it’s connectivity to the internet.

You can play them against players connected to your LAN. :roll_eyes:

Yes, yes it is. HTML, CSS, and Javascript are ubiquitous and pervasive throughout the software development world. This isn’t 1996. Developers aren’t creating their UI using C++ anymore.

In fact, Unity, one of the most popular game engines currently available next to Unreal Engine, is currently making a Unity flavored CSS available for it’s UI layer.

There are numerous Plugins for both Unity and Unreal Engine that are specifically designed to take advantage of HTML and CSS.

Android development using a markup language called AXML. Xamarin development using another markup language called XAML.

And what exactly do you think is generated under the hood when a developer uses a visual UI tool to create layouts and integrate the art assets and animations?

I know what offline and online are, and you know what I meant when I said “being online defeats the whole purpose of LAN.” Being connected to the internet should not be a prerequisite to playing over your local network.

Except I literally cant unless I log in, defeating the purpose of “go offline”. :roll_eyes: Also like I said before, matches against AI use the online custom game framework.

You even admitted that UI designed with web languages require more resources. You said that it shouldn’t effect performance, but It obviously does. The fact that the menu performs worse than the actual game is telling. This has nothing to do with some developers and engines implementing web languages, it has everything to do with Blizzard’s poor and lazy implementation of their UI.

Admit it, if Blizzard actually gave a hoot about optimization and performance, they would have taken a more traditional approach to UI design. Also, just to clarify, do any other modern Blizzard games take the same approach for the UIs?

1 Like

Probably because he advocated downloading the game from a torrent or the like. I’m surprised that hasn’t resulted in this thread being deleted and earned OP a permaban yet. Must not be any moderation on this forum.

Kind of sad when pirating the game is what people have to resort to to play the game they paid for 17 years ago.

3 Likes

Just re-downloaded and checked. I can confirm the build still works for me.

Try deleting the folder and re-extracting it. There may have been an issue upon extraction.

All should be fine if you already own the game and have a key. :smiling_imp:

You obviously don’t understand what it means.

There’s a giant big button that says “Offline”. Click it. Your client will not connect to BattleNet. You are now “offline” in the sense that you are not connected to BattleNet. YOUR COMPUTER IS STILL CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET AND YOUR LAN.

You literally can. Not connecting to BattleNet has absolutely no affect on your computers connectivity to it’s LAN and WAN (the internetz).

All modern software requires more resources. Even my 10 year old WinPC has more then enough RAM in it (12GB) and processing power (1st Gen i7) to run several chrome tabs alongside multiple Chromium applications, BattleNet, Steam, Epic Launcher, all without affecting the performance of Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Are you trying to run WC3R on a 20 year old computer or some kind of low end laptop from 5 years ago? No? Then this isn’t a problem for you.

You don’t know if that’s a fact or not. I’m not having any performance issues with a 10 year old computer.

It might be that your performance issue have nothing at all to do with the UI but rather some lighting or particle effect that’s being used in the main scene. What Graphics care are you using? Is it AMD or NVidea? Is it an off brand card? How much memory does it have? ARe you running a multi-core processor? Are you Mac or Windows? What graphic API is being used (DX11, DX12, Metal, OpenGL, Vulkan)?

Who knows why some machines are running slower than others. Post a bug report and make sure you provide a detailed list of your system and maybe even a log report.

If you have the disks or maybe even made your own archive of the download and patches. But of course, the casual gamer bro no doubt has no clue what any of that means. Just “hit magic button make bad game go!”

What? I hosted it the other day.

All good, and thanks for the info. The only tidbit - if you have patch 1.29, or 1.30, you can still play just fine without updating. Just don’t use Launcher. Instead, open the game directly through exe found in folder x86_64 (or something of the sort).

1 Like

ironically the removal of LAN is definitely to stop pirating. Lots of people pirate games then play on LAN with some added software to trick the game into being online, and no Blizzard game since Starcraft 2 has had it. I wouldn’t have expected LAN in reforged but I didn’t expect them to remove it from old Warcraft 3

LAN hasn’t been removed in “OLD Warcraft 3”.

Yeah, that big red button that says “Play Offline” is greyed out. It’s greyed out because I have not logged in, thus I do not have access to offline features.

Personally my PC is pretty up to date, but that doesn’t mean everyone has access to good hardware. Additionally, the UI is a performance drain regardless of your hardware, even while in game. The fact remains that a multi-billion dollar company couldn’t manage to build a proper UI. To top it all off, people who didn’t even want or didn’t buy Reforged is now stuck with this.

This isn’t a surprise, considering all the other lazy implementations they put in such as missing animations etc.

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664

I doubt Blizzard even cares at this point. They haven’t even released a statement yet. Yeah, performance issues may get fixed in the future, but at this point why purchase an objective downgrade that is riddled bugs and missing features. You’re better off just playing on the old client.

Not true. The installation process is the same with the exception that now you don’t need to log onto BattleNet to retrieve your keys from your account information. There was literally just one more step needed to install Warcraft 3. Pretending that the average person can’t do that is just wrong, considering Warcraft players (and blizzard players in general) have been doing this for 20+ years.

Great info!

Incorrect.

Offline → https://imgur.com/PvHJOOu

Custom via LAN 1 → https://imgur.com/ceSw6Y7

Custom via LAN 2 → https://imgur.com/mUINXSI

Custom via LAN 3 → https://imgur.com/KFfDLXo

Works just fine for me.

You wouldn’t need to install anything had you simply not overwritten your only copy of the application that worked as you wanted it to work.

imgur .com/a/i7NSS7Q

Not the argument.

Disregarding that wasn’t the argument, you are forced to update if you are above 1.27b, which 99% of people were. The only way you avoid that is to delete Warcraft III Launcher.exe, which wasn’t known during the Reforged launch. You act is if Blizzard didn’t strongarm people into the new client, then you make it sound easy to avoid Reforged after you claim things like:

You can launch the game without the launcher. The launcher’s only task is to update the game if there is an available update.

You can install multiple copies of WC3 and only apply updates to one of them. That way if something happens with an update, you still have a working copy left which runs.

Then it is likely that something is wrong outside of WC3R. What are you doing differently that cases this to happen to your client?

Is that why when my friends and I ran the game upon launch, the new launcher (which was included with builds above 1.27b) made us update the game to Reforged? Stop it with the weasel arguments and moving the goal posts.

Nothing is wrong. I tried reinstalling multiple times. I’m assuming the way it works is that when you initially log in to the client, it saves your timestamp and allows you to use “offline” mode for a period of time. After the period of time ends you have to log in once more. If you never log in, which I never did, you don’t get access to “offline.”

I might be completely wrong, but at this point, I really don’t care. The release of Reforged has been an absolute disaster. I can’t wrap my mind around why you so adamantly defend it. Speaking of which, I pretty much figured out that you are not arguing in good faith, so I won’t be replying to you anymore. After looking at your post history and looking at the way you argue it’s pretty clear that you are either a shill, a troll, or just cattle. I hope you enjoy getting reamed by Blizzard. Thanks for bumping my thread by the way.

You are running the wrong executable.

Yes, something is wrong. I’m not the only person who gets the privilege to have the Offlien button.

Post in the support forums. Ask questions. Try to fix the issue on your end.

Not if you have a key for the digital download only. Have to own the CDs.

Fortunately for myself, I do have them still and have the game installed from the CDs, but even then I can’t play the game with patches.