For all of you aspiring map makers

All I can say is good luck. If it really bans those maps like SCII does, I assume people will just patch revert and use private servers.

And i’m pretty sure the IP thing will never hold up in court.

And if any company decides to pick up one of these maps for themselves, they’ll probably take Blizzard to court if they try, given nobody let them claim so much as the Dota name.

35 Likes

Jesus… that’s actually very sad…

46 Likes

blizzard is dead

68 Likes

After losing DOTA like they did, the SC2 changes and now this was to be expected.
Definitely look elsewhere to make custom content. At least companies like Bethesda and Valve still respect the time and effort people put forth in to creating content in their games, Blizz just wants you to make the next DOTA for them and have the full rights to it right out of the gate when it catches on without having to do anything.

42 Likes

wow that’s pretty messed up.

I was hoping the modding community would come in and fix, or redo some of the stuff from the campaign, but now…that’s terrible. What is Blizzard thinking?

22 Likes

One of the most creative gaming communities destroyed by new policies

46 Likes

No one really owns anything they mod on any game. It’s the original devs assets lol.

2 Likes

Was kinda seeing this coming when they lost the DotA trademark

2 Likes

Be thankful it ain’t payed mods.

3 Likes

map makers shouldn’t bother with the game its a complete mess and insult to the original blizz developers

22 Likes

Actually, DOTA disproves that and Blizzard have been asshurt about it for more than ten years.

3 Likes

Oh they’ll figure out a way to monetize the game somehow, this is Activision we’re talking about here.

3 Likes

And funny enough, they tried to make HOTS play nothing like DOTA.

And the MOBA craze has long since died.

1 Like

Yes I am aware it used to be that way. I was meaning on any game in the last 10 years. Mostly all of them have modified their EULA’s including Bethesda and Valve.

Yeah, and the point is that it’s a bad policy and has resulted in stagnant custom scenes for multiple games. I have had countless hours of enjoyment thanks to people making fun maps on this game and Blizzard just took a gigantic steaming dump on that.

6 Likes

Oh I agree it sucks, but it’s not just Blizzard was all I was saying. Greed gets all companies in the end and there’s nothing we can do about it. Times change. I still plan to make maps as I do it for fun. Others will as well.

1 Like

Can you remake Warcraft 1 and 2?

1 Like

That’s fair enough. The future is dark and there isn’t going to be another golden age for this game.

I’m not a lawyer but one thing you could do that satisfies the blizzard EULA is to develop the map, open source it and attach an open source license to it, similar to the APACHE 2.0 license.

That will meet blizzard’s requirement of them getting the Intellectual Property while you still maintain yours.

Here’s an example:

8 Likes

Sad but understandable.

How many billions do you think the company missed out on on dota? After dota came HoN, then LoL, then Dota 2, and their answer after all that was HotS (which closed down their competetive scene). They never made a good moba early and missed their chance.

And it’s a good question - should this kind of copyright hoarding ever be applicable? If yes - at what level?