What happens is that we are in an early stage of development.

I like how HoTs looks, but I also like how Reforged looks. Must find a middle term between them and take the best of each one so that it evolves in the best way.

There are designs that have parts that I like most in HoTs. But others who have better in Reforged. They must take the best of each one and transform it into the perfect creation so to speak

3 Likes

You’re right, the lighting must be polished

Again very well explained Duskstalker :slight_smile:

:ok_hand::wink::+1::muscle:

Agreed with the ‘uncanny valley’ feeling from the trailer. I don’t really understand why you would change the style at all. It’s a remaster, not a remake, people are looking for it to be HD cartoony not made realistic. It’s like adding prequel Anakin to the old Star Wars movies, just why change what it was?

4 Likes

The cartoony artstyle is perfect for warcraft and it has been like this since warcraft2.

1 Like

footmen, knights didnt look cartoony at all. Ogres were fataaa … DKs were actually unded. Footmen wore a proper armor as well as knights. Footmen has straight swords and knights had military hammers. No it wasnt that cartoony that you couldnt tell what is what. Turrets, ships looked not too cartoony. Foundry, refinery, shipyard, oil rigs, all were recognizable, stylized but not really like WoW.

Warcraft 2 was incredibly cartoony considering the proportions, style and colors used. Take a look at any other RTS of the era which tried to use more realistic proportions and styles, like Dune, Command and Conquer, even Warlords Battlecry. Even compared to Starcraft we can see the graphics are very stylized and cartoony.

1 Like

If you’re worried about the realistic graphics aging too fast… well the game was 16 years old, and now we get to reset that counter to “0” years old. Maybe 10-15 years from now, when the game starts to show its age, there will be other Blizzard games out to satisfy us. Can’t expect to have to remaster the same game twice…

I’m an old wc3 player and the graphics are good. As mentioned in a lot of my posts, the terrain needs a lot of fix up though.

1 Like

It feels like it’s outsourced because it is outsourced to Lemon Sky (a Malaysian outsource studio) that also made this gem: youtube.com/watch?v=UbsGVUL8OIo

One of the only game LS made (for uCool) is a clone of chinese game. The chinese game itself is riping off the warcraft characters. Blizzard sued the chinese company. The chinese company sued uCool.

2 Likes

I can’t believe they put “Visually stunning” into that video. I am stunned after watching those visuals. Just not in the way they probably want LOL!

I actually like the new graphics… :smiley:

3 Likes

Proportions were a bit cartoony, but not that much. Full helm on knights, hammer, full helm, it was visible. Let them have a bit of cartoony proportions if they like, but not too much. Equipment was visible, but partly, tile size had its part.

Warcraft 2 already had the well known oversized proportions of EVERYTHING, which were precisely represented in wow and warcraft3 after that. Nothing changed, it’s the exact same style (just limited by the technology of which era).

Huge shoulders, huge arms, huge feet, it’s all there.

https://www.wikihow.com/images/9/95/Cheat-at-Warcraft-II-Step-5.jpg

1 Like

Biggest problems are:

Lighting: It’s too washed. The gamma it’s wrong. It must be darker and the colors be more saturated. That way it would look more like original WC3

Unit models: The new models and details have made the units look thinner. The added details, textures and lighting are causing a loss of visual clarity.
Old WC3 models were bulky and stout. And were all surrounded by white-ish details making them stand out.

Maybe they have to re-think the textures to keep some of that whiteish outline and bulkyness

2 Likes

The only issue that I have with the graphics that would ruin the fun I would have is that the unit models are absolutely massive, up to twice the size of the original game’s models. This limits the information available on screen, and feels gross. The Footmen and Militia size buff makes sense, but the rest just don’t. Looking forward to seeing some changes here.

model scaling was too big, this is one part why units couldnt be read because of this.

1 Like

I want the super high res/high poly remaster, but it would be really great to preserve the original in HD as well. Assuming they have the original assets, they could “just” slap in some higher res textures, render the thing in 4k, and call it a day. Just as an option of course.

was hoping for darker grittier landscape textures.