I personally like the new grunt. I think it reads well. It feels similar to before. While it’s not everything I ever wanted, it’s good. So are the most of the orc units. The undead units we’ve seen look fantastic.

Overall, readability could still use improvement. I don’t mind so much that Blizzard is changing silhouette and such. But they need to keep the original feeling. My main issue is the footmen being these heroic-looking knights with massive shoulders and dark, shiny armor. The humans as a whole have issues with the exception being the dwarves. The dwarves look great.

2 Likes

Because the custom games in Warcraft 3 TFT was GOLDEN AGE OF LIFE. If you were alive during those times of LOAP, Tides of Blood, the original Dota, it all started here in the custom games. I am excited to see what cool stuff comes from the custom game section. As well as the matchmaking. I just hope they don’t trash the lore with WoW lore. Warcraft 3 came before World of Warcraft so I hope they keep that in mind for the most part. Teek

I liked the new graphics. What I dont like is the lighting. It looks like too high HDR photos. Im sure they will fix it tho.

1 Like

I think the graphics look really great except they’re a little hard to read. I think a lot of that is the more advanced shaders and the lack of team colours being extremely plain and almost glowing.

It’s almost like the metal and other stuff shines brighter than the team colour, making the unit hard to distinguish at a glance.

I think it could use a little bit of a reverse SC2 treatment. Remember when SC2 was announced and everything looked a little too cartoony and plastic? This has that problem, except in reverse.

Having said that, I think it looks really, really good overall. The problem is nowhere near as big as the problem in SC2 was, and SC2 turned out amazing.

4 Likes

I’m glad to read, that so many fans of the Warcraft III game are willing to contribute, by thinking about the graphics.

If there ever was a good warning how a RTS series can end up like, its Red Alert 3. It was a relative good game. But the graphics killed the game before it had the change to prove itself. A damn shame.

So what about Warcraft III? Well there are different options to go with:
A WOW styled game: more cartoonish (think big shoulder pads)?
A Warcraft III styled game in HD: a brushed up version of 2002?
A Warcraft III re-styled game: to fit a new audiance, with increased realism?
A warcraft III styled game: redesign, but keep true to the original?

I myself think the game, for a early beta (alpha?). Looks good. But a, don’t like the way the (yes hear they come) shoulder pads, and armours look like. It should be a Warcraft III remaster, not a WOW RTS installment.

The Metalshine, looks appealing for the majority of (to reqruit) new players. And does give it a modern finish. The same goes for lighting. But, there is such a thing as overkill. So the developers walk a fine thread.

It should be a blend of cartoony, and modern realism. If it can be done in paintings, than it can be done in games.

3 Likes

I agree, warcraft 3 no longer feels so mysterious, interesting, gloomy, intriguing, I noticed that Blizzard changed their views on the remaster, if you look at the cinematics, the gameplay, you can see that everything is very bright and colorful compared to the original, in the original, everything was more gloomy, contrasting, it was clear that it was a special style, for example, to take the same ground from the original and reforged, take a closer look, in the original the earth is more orange or brown or something, in the reinterface it is simply no more pale in my Look, sad, at the moment the remaster looks more like a mobile game as a type clash of clans, I very much loved Warcraft 3, not only for the plot and gameplay, but also for the atmosphere that it gives, for this gloom, pathos, epic and mystery, I really want that Blizzard would keep this style, and not turn the game into a kind of game from Disney for little kids, as they did with WoW, I am also very excited, I wish you all good.

5 Likes

@Luna
Could not have said it any better! The gloomy atmosphere, that pulled you right in.

2 Likes

I think they justified their decision pretty well in the QA panel: a lot of RTS games at the moment are going with a cartoonish style, so in return WC3R tries to stand out by going to the other direction, and I like it. I never even thought that Classic WC3 was that cartoony. Sure the colors were bright, but to me the “cartooniness” was just caused by the limitations of the graphics engine. Only thing that I would maybe tweak little are the skeletons: they could be a bit bulkier. Reminds maybe a bit too much of Diablo.

7 Likes

Wanted to voice my support to this post. I completely agree with it and share my concern

2 Likes

“Other people are being cartoony” isn’t a good reason to depart from a franchise’s established art style.

6 Likes

I agree. I don’t see how this was enough of a reason to abandon the style.

I am 100% behind the remake either way, but in no way does this look like a Blizzard game, let alone a Warcraft game. I would have been much happier had it adopted a HotS style, or simply up-poly’d originals.

I know they say this is the same team that redid SC, but it looks/feels like an outsource to a different company that never played the original. I’ve already pre-purchased out of enthusiasm but I admit I am more than a little bit sad about the new art direction.

6 Likes

I don’t think that it’s a departure from the franchise’s art style. Imo they fit quite well in Warcraft and they even took their inspiration from WoW MoP cinematic, which I like too. I’m so glad that they didn’t go with that HotS’ wax character style, which makes it look more like a mobile game.

6 Likes

Yes, everyone has his own perception, someone sees the original cartoony, someone is gloomy, but one cannot but agree that the cinematics completely determined the style of play, they could see the style, the style of gloominess, epic and mysteriousness, this is a fact, but the new On the contrary, cinematics are less epic, gloomy and mysterious. He is brighter with a different style. This is what puts me in a stupor, it seems that Blizzard decided to completely rethink warcraft 3, not remaining faithful to the original, I hope everything will return to normal and we will see Warcraft 3, as it should be, with its consistent style, which we all love so much.

4 Likes

the reforged graphics match the original cinematics. whats more warcraft? warcraft cinematics or old warcraft ingame graphics?

for me the cinematics show what they had in mind, but couldnt do ingame. now they can do it ingame.

i really like the cartoony style of wc3, but the newer “cinematic” style is not wrong either. i like both, but its time for a change. we’ve seen warcraft 3 in cartoon graphics for 15 years now, i can absolutely accept the “cinematic” style in the game.

7 Likes

We didn’t play in and spend dozens/hundreds of hours immersed in the cinematics. I’m not calling it wrong, but it isn’t the nostalgic style that people are upset about losing. When they talk about trying to stay as faithful as possible to the original this complete re-vibe is not what I had in mind.

I’m going to enjoy this anyway - I don’t think they look bad I just don’t think they fit. To each their own, I simply would have preferred they didn’t stray so far from the original feel and I’m glad to see so many other people feel as I do.

3 Likes

Well, we all have our opinions and we just have to agree that they don’t always match. All we can do is hope that Blizzard will end up with a good compromise that will make both parties as happy as possible.

2 Likes

Indeed :slight_smile: I can dig that they are based on the cinematic styles rather than previous in-game. I am looking forward to this whether they review their current style or not.

1 Like

I agree i love the cartoon realism of WC/WoW, not this. This looks like some sort of EQ RTS. This isnt Warcraft or WoW, bring back the old look and feel.

4 Likes

Gold-white is all the same. Ever played WarCraft II ? No gold-white stuff. It looks bad. It is everywhere and I never liked it in wcIII of FT. Knights are what ? Give them white-gold robes, paint some arcane stuff on them, let them throw their magic lance. It will be awsum.

Metal look of armor as it was in the movie is actually great style. Shoulder pads are a bit too enormous.

Weapon tiering, armor tiering, all could see a visual differentiator. Steel plate + chain for weakspots looks great. Weaponry, the less cartoony DIII/WoW the better. Crossguards are practical IRL but I suppose its cause of Christophobia some people have or are afraid of spreading religion, but happy with heavily satanic lore. You know, the good magic practitioners, they arent so bad, just eeevul. :)) Like WoW lock, paladin all on the same team like IRL this could ever work. (IRL they have a different spirit, hostility is natural)

All blizz games have white+gold or dark blue/black color combinations. You get tired seeing that stuff over and over. WCII didnt have those sheety color combinations.

2 attack animations = too few. Militia has stab, but footman, not. Militia looks awesome, footman too apart from too large spaulder thingys.

also, some claimed, that heroes are too small, they are not. They are already bigger than most units. If your human is bigger than the other on top, who is on a horseback … strange. Heroes were too big, units got bigger but heroes as well, but not as before to compare.

paladin face … ? Mediocre, as if lacking in something.

We kinda did, didn’t we? The reality was the blocky and sharp edged models, but the fantasy Blizzard gave us was much more than that!

When I think of a Footman, I think about the soldier in the cinematic, over a rock with a cape looking bright under the afternoon sun.

It’s the same thing with Starcraft 2, Marines are much more than those small and frail units, they wear a huge powersuit with an huge gun.

3 Likes