Everyone seems to dislike W3 Reforged Graphics. What is the fundamental problem?

Actually no. It’s like 50/50 maybe a little in favor of the “changes are great” crowd.

3 Likes

@GameOver
I hope they’ll go for realistic, but it seems like they’re going for cartoon graphics like in HOTS. Even Diablo is receiving the same design.

1 Like

I would say it’s a vocal MINORITY headed by some pro-players who shall remain nameless here, who are complaining about graphics. Everywhere else I look, everyone seems to love the new realistic badasss look of the unit models.

I agree with making the environment / buildings match the new unit art style though and I am sure Blizzard is already working on that as we speak.

3 Likes

While it can be misleading, the term “WE” is use for a minimum of 2 people. Haven’t seen any misuse of “EVERYONE” so far, but yes, that term is an exaggeration.

I agree. I prefer the realism as it pulls me into the battle and engages me better than blobs of paint do.

2 Likes

Honestly, from what I’ve seen thus far (Though it’s worth noting that I’d need an up-close, detailed look), I actually adore the buildings and think that, for the most part, they’ve nailed it there. They’ve done a fantastic job.

The units are what I have an issue with.

While some of them (ie, the new Ghoul) look really nice, others just don’t feel quite "Warcraft"y to me.

I think it’s a combination of the units having a somewhat different art style from the buildings and the like, and certain departures (Paladin flat tops, Grunt beards, etc.) in addition to the new lighting and whatnot.

I’d be VERY curious to see what, say, a Heroes of the Storm model would look like in the New Warcraft III: Reforged. How does the lighting make it look? etc. That, I think, would provide a pretty good metric of seeing just how much the WCIII: Reforged unit artstyle needs to be reigned in.

To me it’s all boiling down to the general sense of cohesion between asset, right now building don’t really match with terrain that don’t really match with units.
There should also be a way to turn down or lower shiny effects, and shadow because to me those are making the game pretty hard to read in big fights.
All in all i’m very happy with the remaster look but i really think that it’s not showing it’s full potential (which could be enormous).

In a more personal note, when looking at wc3 art i always felt that they belonged to a world i wanted to explore and right now the new art makes me feel kind of the same, so i’m very happy about that. They make me want a Wow with those kind of graphics :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really love the new graphics. They are the main reason I will buy and play reforged. I play wc3 since the closed beta but i only ever tolerated the graphics, never loved them. I like the new proportions and the slightly grimmer look waaay better and i hope you keep it up. The models are still cartoonish enough, just not as over the top silly as ghey used to be.

3 Likes

We probably have to accept it will never been on par with current games graphics wise. Once you have swallowed that one, the graphics start to look decent.

At the end of the day they are refurbishing an old engine with modern technology so it’s forever going to be a compromise.

I think I read over 1000 comments over the last days so I can say for sure it is obvious that the OP sees what it wants, plenty of us are enjoying the new art without spamming every post with our opinions.

3 Likes

Ngl it looks extremely cartoonish right now, like a mobile game

1 Like

Well rn it looks at least better than the other blizzard game ! (wow, hots etc.)

1 Like

Are you referring to the unit models or buildings or environment or the Graphics in general?

The more time that I’ve had to digest things, the more I am excited and optimistic about this game. I think a lot of people are reacting defensively over something that they cherish.

2 Likes

Definitely 2. Make the units look more cartoony to match the cartoony Environment/Buildings. Hots style animation.

2 Likes

I tried HoTS and i disliked both the game and the graphics

The new models look great, but they are so… souless, stiff animations… They need way more animations to fit the original game. I also would love to have weather effects, Day/Night, rain, snow, lightning storms and so on, would make the game so pretty, especially with night where lanterns and such would light up.

Personally I love the new models just a few tweaks though to their design though to make them more like warcraft 3 original. Like jaina losin those shoulderpads

5 Likes

In the very first trailer, some shots have such cringey and utterly cartoonish graphics it makes me worried for the final release

The trailer should have 10 times more dislikes than diablo immortal

You mean the trailer with the grunt fighting a footman?..i think its fine…But the infernal is inferior to the original in my opinion…probably because of this face and his scream isn’t good