During gameplay the screen goes black randomly

Hello!

I got an issue where the game after a few hrs of game-play just randomly blackens the screen and the gpu fan spins up like nuts while the game sound keeps playing. Haven’t seen any pattern in when it happens but it have happened tree times now.

Checklist:

• Got the latest nvidia drivers.
  • Got all other latest drivers installed (like chipset/sound etc).
  • No component is running overclocked.
  • Have all the latest windows updates (And its quite fresh install too without any tweaks done).
  • No other software behaves like this, all run stable. Last crash was over a year ago so dare to say its very stable.
  • Have no warnings etc in the event logs to indicate device driver failures

Spec:
9900k (Factory clock)
2080ti (Factory clock) Latest drivers cleanly installed
32gb ddr4 3600 (Base XMP timings of 16-16-16-36)
Mon 3440x1440@100hz (Running the game at 2560x1440@100hz thoo due to lack of support for UW :roll_eyes: )
Sound: Evga Nu Audio
Game is running of an 970 pro (system is on an intel 900p)

2 Likes

I am having the same problem as you. I confirmed this only happens in WC3R as no other game experiences this black screen and fan issue (exactly as you described) but it unfailing happens in Warcraft 3 for me.

Reinstalled latest drivers. I’m running at 1440p at 144. 2070 super and overall brand new PC that has not had similar problems prior.

Same problem but after a few minutes… not hrs… every time.
Only way after this is to restart the pc

2 Likes

Same issue also in minutes happens repeatedly then will generally crash the client. Would love to be able to send in a ticket but for some reason when I hit submit nothing happens.

Do we all run Nvidia cards? FaTaL + Sigma?

Addendum to the blackening - Have to restart the PC for the screen to wake up again

Yes. Gtx 2070 super… i have to restart the pc after this is happening and my gpu fan is also going in turbo mode… cant even play 2-3 minutes

Another bump here for the sake of it.

GTX 2080 Super, 16gb RAM > start game > black screen + fan spins out of control

No other game causes this or has ever caused this.

1 Like

I just decided to refund because of this. its completely broken

Bump… any reply?!

I have a gtx 980 ti and mine will come back after some time and I can continue or the game will crash no restart necessary for me. The blizz launcher glitches out though and just becomes a hollow border.

I have the same exact issue! After like an hour or so the screen goes black (both my screens go into sleep mode), the GPU fans spin like crazy and the only thing to do is to restart the PC.
This only happens in WC3.

I have a GTX 1080, i74790K, 32GB RAM.

I tryed it but even after 10 min. nothing happens… and i dont want to run it longer when the fan is going crazy

same here, blizzard are just stealing us, the make us pay for the same game but worst and also don’t work.
I will never buy another game from them !

Daily bump.

Bump in case someone at Blizzard actually does their job.

Take me home country roads to the place where I belong.

Bump.

I have a AMD card and I’m having the same issue.

Wonder what it takes for Blizzard to not sleep at the wheel. Another bump. We paid for this and can’t use it, the only way I’ve managed to use it is in Classic mode which means we spent money to play a downgraded version of War 3 from 2003/2004.

Hey all,

We would like to collect some more info on the issues being reported here. From what it sounds like you all are able to launch the game fine and play matches for a while before the display goes black and you hear the GPU fans spin up to max.

I checked for any current known bugs that would match this but I wasn’t able to find anything. Lets see if we can gather DXDIAGs to see if we can spot any similarities between the systems where this is happening.

DXDIAG:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section here hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

Additionally, if anyone has a secondary monitor and is able to keep HWmonitor and Task Manager (on the Performance tab) up on the second display while playing, we would want to monitor the CPU/GPU temperatures and look for any CPU/RAM/GPU usage spikes right before this issue occurs. If anyone finds anything like that it could be useful to know.

Thanks!

3 posts were split to a new topic: Watercolourz - Black screen randomly while playing