Does anyone still have a beta build backed up?

Hey guys,

I’m into datamining models, which is perfectly legal since I own the game, and I don’t use them commercially.

It has come to my attention that they removed a number of models from the game files, which were present in beta, when they launched the game.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a beta build of the game backed up somewhere that they would be willing to share with me?

Thanks guys (:

1 Like

I have 300 GB of copies of some betas and some nonbetas. I also have MDX900 to MDX1000 converter (prior to a certain beta build, all the models changed format, and the old MDX900 stuff doesnt open in the new game)

It’s not a complete list, it’s just backups as frequently as I thought to make them. But how would I share this with you? I sent some guy “old felwood tileset” who wanted it, and posted Beta Jennalla on Hive, as well as Beta Demoness, but some guy also wants Beta Undead Sylvanas and I’ve been forgetting to make time to send it. Was too lazy.

Edit: I cant upload old 30 GB copies without wasting a looooong time.
Also the harddrive with the oldest betas dropped off a 5 ft table earlier this week and I havent checked if it still works because during the work week I make a point of focusing on work. These things don’t last forever.

Yeah, I get it. It’s a lot of stuff to throw online.

My hope was that it could maybe be done relatively painlessly using a cloud service, but that might not be sustainable.

I am extracting the models right now, so in some days/weeks/however long that is gonna take me I’ll know exactly the models that I’m missing.
Then I could compile a list?

Right now, if you have the two unmounted furion models from beta which were removed from the game, that would be pretty cool.
Do you have a version with them in it?
(I would include pictures, but for some reason I cannot be trusted)

I don’t think that version of files should be an issue for the way I’m processing the models…

Thanks for your answer!

Hey, same guy here, my PC happens to be logged into a different account.

“I don’t think the Reforged Beta had multiple Furions, it looked like he was always mounted.” I was about to type to you. Then I looked at my files…

Several months ago I tried to create “dismounted furion” using my model editor. You can get this fanmade asset here:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/malfurion-without-stag-reforged.322458

That model is made by taking the MalFurion + Stag model and importing the Druid of the Talon animations onto him.
However, I was just reviewing my backups and I found that I have a copy of Build 13769 that contains Furion.mdx, not the “Mal Furion” but the one with a cape made from leaves. You are correct; it is a separate model included in this Beta build. The build I am looking at does not seem to include the dismounted MalFurion model, however, with the bear fur cape (similar to the fanmade asset that I had created). I am not sure if the Beta ever had this bear fur cape furion dismounted? Even this old one seems to load the Mounted version of the model when I click on the “NoStag” MDX file. The portrait model for that file is present, however. Someone pointed this out to me even on the live version of the game – the dismounted “MalFurionNoStag” portrait file exists, but the actual non-portrait usable models are all the mounted hero.

I don’t know if I have a build older than this one that would include the Night Elves. I might have a hard time finding the “MalFurion No Stag” dismounted model because it’s not included in this build. But, I can look around.

It looks like this leaf-cape Furion model is new enough that it doesn’t even need to be converted, it’s just in the Reforged format.

Edit:

Here man, I uploaded the model for you:

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/furion-reforged-beta.327199/

1 Like

What an absolute champion!

That’s exactly the model I was talking about.
Again, I would have provided a picture, but blizzard doesn’t trust me.

Thank you so much!

I’ll post back here if I find any other models that were removed after the beta.
It was a stroke of genious to throw it on HIVE as well, now it’s there for everyine who wants it!

You’re the man, bro!

You don’t ever own a game. You have purchased a license to use said game provided that you follow ToS, EULA and what else have you of agreements you sign when you install/play the game. A game company can, at any time they feel like it, limit your access to said game.

That said, Blizzard have never and probably never will ban, send cease and desist or sue you for datamining, though if they did - they would be in their right to do so. It is their trademark and their copyrighted product - not yours.

Square Enix, as an example, actively ban people for Datamining and/or throw Cease and Desist letters towards people whom operate websites containing datamined content.

I don’t think you are correct.

If Blizzard decided tomorrow that Reforged was over and done with, they would be well within their rights to take the game down and make it unavailable, but they could not make the build you have downloaded illegal for you to own.

Same way, the game files I have downloaded to my machine, and what I do with them, is no business of Blizzards.

Now, if I decided to to distribute them openly, as in your Square Enix example, that would very much be Blizzards business, but I did state in my original post that I have no intention of doing so.

I used the term ‘datamine’ in my original post, which has the conotation that I’m poking around were I shouldn’t be. I’m not.
I’m extracting game models. And the extracted models on my computer are no more illegal than the models you see in your own game.

That being said, Blizzard could probably send me to jail for whatever they wanted if they threw enough money at it, but that’s just the world we live in…

1 Like

It is a simple matter of the software being both Blizzard’s trademark and copyright.

If you think that you own something, just because you downloaded it to your pc, you are sorely mistaken and should probably read up on copyright and trademark laws :rofl:

Right. I feel like I could say the same to you.
And I am having a hard time respecting the way you present your argument.
You strike me as a troll, and answering a longer post with “lol. do your your research ROFLSMILEY” really didn’t do you any favours in that regard.

Trademark and Copyright, to my knowledge, protect Blizzard in the context of distribution.
Since I am not distributing anything, I don’t see what relevancy they have.

You’re arguing that I’m not allowed to alter a digital product within the context of my own computer, and I don’t think you’re correct.
If you buy a song on Itunes and download to your machine, you would be free to use any audio editor to chop it up into bits, or speed it up or down as you wish.
If you then chose to distribute it, altered or not, that would be illegal. But what you did with the product on your own machine would be your own business.
How would Blizzard or anyone even police it, if altering a digital product was illegal like that?
It’s like saying that you can buy a red car, but if you paint it blue the company that sold it can sue you.

2 Likes