Diablo 2, Blizzard did great. Why not fix war3?

After a couple of days of playing and yet still is so hyped up with Diablo 2 Resurrected. I just thinking about the most favorite game of mine, War 3. Why Blizard did do a big mess to this game, how can it fail, when to it coming wrong?.

Just look at D2R, I had to say this is the successful remaster game of Blizard - even slightly better than SC1 (and I dare to say D2R can be one of the best remaster games in the industry in recent years). This is the biggest moment, we now confirm that Blizzard now can make a remaster to a 3D game, this game is even harder than War3 when coming from 2d to 3d.

Mention that to imply that Blizzard has excess talents and resources to make a decent game, even if they got some mistakes (or big mistakes), still capable to correct what they wrong. The problem now could be from the company head.

Last year, when I can not see any hope for war3, tthe old version is purged, the new version is can not play. The graphic is garbage, the ladder is missing, the game is a ton of bugs. This is a miracle when this game still survives then. But it all from the hand of this small community like back2warcraft, w3champion, and lots of enthusiastic individuals. This game and community need a place it deserved to be. Putting the glory of war3 and the loyal fans going through, this absolutely not worthy.

Fixing the new graphic for the loyal customers (who did not REFUND), adding the old and new features (like a ladder) to attract the newcomer. Especially after the success of Diablo 2, Blizzard can rely on that to “resurrected” War3. This is the time Blizzard need to recover the fame and the trust (include recent incidents). Normally it is costly but it will be the best option if this company still wants to go in the long term.

Plus, this game is one of the few RTS games that people still can play as an e-sport. Look at Age Of Empires II and see how Microsoft can still get money from this game and the whole series in general (who say RTS is dead?). Someone on top please think further and deeper.

4 Likes

It is entirely possible they will, VV has custody of all the Classic Games. But they are still working the kinks out of the D2 launch (but they have demonstrated committment and diligence in addressing the issues so far).

Hopefully some word will come soon one way or the other, but it will take osme time.

4 Likes

Well Blizzard didn’t make D2R, VV did and Blizz just happened to absorb them after they had already done most of the work. In my oppinion the best part of W3R is the new models, I think they look fantastic. But again, Blizzard did not make them. They outsourced it to another company (I think it was called lemonsky or something?). Basically current blizzard is incapable of making or even remastering anything good and has to rely on others to give its customers anything or quality. I was hoping that VV would work on W3R after D2R came out but now that they ARE a part of blizzard, I fear they may go the way of the last classic games team.

4 Likes

No this graphic is absolutely can not use, especially in competitor, really hard to micro and see what going on in the battle. Suddenly this models make this game lost the biggest advantage of this game: the e-sport. I don’t know how they turn around to this current models. All i know is don’t try to reinvented the wheel. It is possible but in fact, they it will take for years to make something better than the classic version. And see how disaster when they try to do something difference

In my opinion, keep the classic models, add more polygon, rework texture, adjust the animation to catch up with modern gaming nowadays. This current style of War3 is still great for me.

We all can’t wait for the sorceress to be deflated, Jaina to grow some beard and Arthas to turn black^^

No please, let this game rest in peace^^

3 Likes

Warcraft III was a lot more complicated. They made some poor decisions at times and these stacked up into problems. Eventually the plug was pulled before it could be fixed.

Except the entire constraints are easier since they do not have to support third party custom maps like they did with Warcraft 3. Most remasters and remakes do not.

Warcraft III was not designed for Esport. StarCraft II was and even that had adoption issues. The market is highly competitive and limited in size.

The issue was more due to management not understanding what WCR should be. They were trying to remaster aspects of it that did not really need to be remastered in a game that was barely stable to begin with, that mostly relied on third party content.

The real issue was deadlines. Impossible deadlines imposed by activision. The game had a release window set way, way, way too early. They did delay it once by a small amount (I’d hate to have seen how much it would have been if it released by the first date) but corporate greed reared its ugly head. Hard deadlines ruin games and that’s what happened here. Then the large number of refunds pretty much deterred any real hope of things getting straightened out.

In the last patch which was a looong time ago, they still stated “we remain committed to delivering you these features.” Well, way, way too much time has passed, and the team that wrote that was also essentially fired.

As noted, t here’s still a possibility of updates once the new classic games team (headed up by vicarious visions) is done working the kinks out of D2R (which, while having some launch issues, turned out far more successful)

1 Like

I have my fingers crossed they’ll come back to it as well.

I hope they’ll also optimise it a bit further too - same goes for D2 actually, both those games seem to require much more CPU/GPU power vs how they look. Blizz software used to be so well optimised.

1 Like

at worst they’d turn the Sorceress and the Harpies into fruit bowls

6 Likes

warcraft 3 was terrible at release. on one of my pcs for example it took several attempts to get it to run. the game was a nightmare to get to run. diablo 2 is overall more stable and have always been. i even got the release version of diablo 2 to run from my old disc. blizzard`s problem at the moment is that people flee from the company. it is very difficult to get any work done when programmers quit. that is the first problem they need to fix.

Even adding 2 more years of development is not going this fix reforged if there is no clear idea of what they want to do with it. In retrospect I think they should just have focused on the single player part and leave multiplayer completely alone. They obviously just wanted to sell the story to the WoW community and didn’t care or even knew what attracted people to custom games or competitive multiplayer. Most evidently displayed by giving away the moba genre so easily and not including competitive ladder to reforged (or even resurrected for that matter).

1 Like

Kind of … i would even use the word “exciting”, even, how War3’s melee ended up being pretty competitive and very difficult to master :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

this is exactly how Esport will become. Like other original sports. You first like it but hard to master it, usually just playing for free time with friends or be fun. The audient will be excited when watching pro playing in a competitive fight when the top players can do something you actually can not reach on your own level

Where has it ever been unclear wh at they wanted to do with it? The issue here is undelievered features, not unknown things.

I was surprised how good the cinematics looked and felt for D2 remake,its a shame warcraft 3 reforged didn’t have the same amount of polish as this one or starcraft remastered for that matter, maybe someone should tell activison this isn’t how you treat WC3 the game that made the WOW in to a titanic mmo with cut scenes from 2002,with wait for it HD updates almost like polishing a turd so its shiny with less effort,maybe activison needed the money for its first line up of games like modern warfare, this isn’t exactly how you build up a player base i played wow since 2013 and wc3,wc2 but wow has suffered the last few years around the time of wotlk ended, I feel like blizzard has become this marionette puppet where activison makes horrible cuts to all of blizzards games,on time to make and price to produce AAA games, I feel activison lied when they said they were going to do right with wc3 and make it better with the team they said they had on it,I thought wow blizzard is going to recorrect the lazy cinematics displayed and fix starcraft’s too with modernized visuals but I guess it was all a silly dream cause what I see is something great… dying painfully to all the fans.The one thing that built world of warcraft they half fasted what does that tell you about the future. Actiblizzard are like politicians make promises of everything they’re going to deliver to you but when you buy in to it provide nothing but excuses for reasons they didn’t add the content they promised and make more empty promises to fix it but do nothing instead and ignore it and hope it will all blow over in time, then on to the next ruined project to make more $$$.

1 Like

Issue is they are remasters rather than remakes. As such they likely still use the same under the hood code and limitations as opposed to modern optimised approaches and standards for various aspects. For example Warcraft III might not use multi-threaded rendering like newer games do, and even if it does it might be a less optimal implementation than newer game engines have.

At this stage they would be best to at least do damage control. Implement the missing custom campaign and ladder features, maybe a balance patch to go along or after the first season of ladder and then fix as many of the remaining crash/desync issues they can as well as the issue with the main menu and systems with dual GPUs. I think most people would be satisfied with Reforged then, at least from a playing Warcraft III point of view.

Multiple sources, I think former employees?

Some of the features they promised were outlandish to begin with. Such as fully integrated model editor into World Editor. I even raised concerns about that feature at the time. They should never have promised that feature to begin with as tools like Blender have taken decades to create and commercial competitors have licences which cost multiple times a WoW subscription per year.

I’m not aware of such a feature ever being promised or proposed.
To be honest though, I don’t recall them ever mentioning plans to increase the maximum number of players to 24 either.

1 Like

Seeing D2 gives me a small amount of hope, not a lot but enough that if they do announce they are going to return to Warcraft III and fix it and give the players a game that deserves Warcraft III reputation, I might start getting back into map making.

Blizzard and VV do not fail us.

3 Likes

Oh god I remember when that was mentioned back in 2019… Here’s a quote I found.

Here’s also a link to a Hive Workshop topic about the thing that I found after a quick google search, though I’m unsure if it’s 100% related.

Lemon Sky. I think it’s fair to say that the basic quality of the models it’s fine, it’s in how well they work in gameplay that sees more criticism, and that’s honestly more down to what guidance Lemon Sky was given while making the models than the skill Lemon Sky had in making them. We know they can provide excellent work when given a clear vision to work from given they have done exactly that for at least one other RTS remaster I can name.