Demo 2018 has been made on SC2/HOTS engine!

Well, this engine is part of a game engine that does not have a name … Something like that.

Your many explanations are encouraging, I hope you’re right. The release will put everything in its place.

But RTS games generally don’t use physics engines to compute collisions, they instead use a pre-defined ruleset. They could change the ruleset without changing entire engine, by replacing a small fragment of code. Just like classic WOW runs on retail engine with minor changes (hunter pets)

And the gameplay too? The graphics differences are also easily visible during the gameplay.

They might as well thrown full game into the demo, don’t you think? But they didn’t because it wasn’t ready.

By the way, the official gameplay trailer looks more like what we’re getting than the demo. Still, the demo looks better.

There was some streamer who said that he interviewed the developers. It was on youtube somewhere. But don’t remember where exactly.

1 Like

Blizzard defenders completely ignore this fact in this thread

I watched the video from Blizzcon 2018 where there were a few words about it, but I don’t remember who spoke about it, unfortunately

1 Like

I’ve watched literally all the official footage, including all the BlizzCon panels and interviews and nowhere have they said that they had been using a new game engine. Rather they emphasized that Reforged is indeed in the same Warcraft 3 engine. Some youtuber speculating some random doesn’t mean anything.

2 Likes

The key question is, why is the picture worse and worse? Is Blizzard’s eye sick? The player’s eyes are not sick.

Beta is getting better, Blizzard really want the game to look like demo 2018, but they can’t do it. Everything is fine with their eyes.

Can you explain why they put on a propaganda film to cheat people since they can’t?

They cannot make the visuals better (like Demo 2018), because the Warcraft 3 Reforged engine has limitations. Demo 2018 was made on a more modern engine to impress people and get money for pre-orders.

They probably could, but that’s not the point of the beta. They most likely haven’t done the optimization to make it run smoothly with all the graphic settings turned on - heck, it barely runs now - so they just turned them off for the beta. That doesn’t mean they don’t have those settings for the build they have on internal testing.

Oh geez… I don’t know whether to cry or laugh. Think for yourself: what on earth would they achieve by doing this huge work on some newer game engine, make it a playable demo and then just redo all that work on the WC3 engine and for the actual game? That just makes zero sense. Why is it for you so hard to understand that the demo was just one map that was optimized for just one purpose? It’s not like they could just copy-paste all the changes to make it magically work with the rest of the game.

4 Likes

They imported models (models made for the release game) in the sc2 editor. They wrote some triggers to hide the specifics of the engine… Maybe something else. Work is done. Difficult?

1 Like

what about you show us how fast you can port the wc3 models into sc2 and remake the stratholme map in sc2 with original wc3 gameplay, pathing, controls, square hitboxes, effects and hud to prove your point. also dont forget to include working wc3 style fps and apm counters, while you’re at it.

2 Likes

SC2 used the physics engine for animation. For example debris or corpses ragdolling around the terrain. Physics can be turned entirely off for slower systems as it is only visual.

The unit on unit collision used in SC2 is a lot more refined than in Warcraft III. In WC3 units would stop and try to path around other units. In SC2 they try to push through each other with some kind of physics like logic. Units in SC2 can even be compressed if enough of them are pushing towards a point.

Also as you emphisized, like how WoW classic is a modification of current WoW, Reforged is a modification of Warcraft III. They just replaced the “small fragment of code” that deals with the graphics with a more modern one. Some of the code could even be CnPed from SC2, Overwatch or Diablo III, seeing how they have the source code for those products and game shaders are often similar in some aspects.

The gameplay graphic differences are not easily visible because no one has the 2018 demo map to run in the beta of 1.32 to make a valid comparison. Too many variables to make such a call.

Yes, only the demo map was ready. Which was highly polished and likely used as a tool to decide how to move forward. The demo only had to run a few things such as the demo map so was polished just for that. Running any other custom map might have crashed instantly, but it could run the demos.

No one knows if it is worse since they do not have access to the campaign 2018 demo map running in 1.32 beta to do comparisons. They are comparing generic Warcraft III maps running with reforged graphics to a hand-crafted reforged map specifically designed to showcase all the new graphic features.

The demo might also have been running on NVLinked RTX 2080-tis on a Core I9 9900k or equivalent position at the time processor. Hardware that it is not reasonable to expect consumers to own.

And why can they not do it? The code magically deleting itself or something?

I must remind people that they might not want it to look exactly like the 2018 demo because based on feedback from the 2018 demo a big complaint was how difficult it was to resolve different unit types. Any visual differences with melee (not the demo campaign map) play would likely be due to that.

Limitations in what way? It uses D3D11 and programmable shaders like all Blizzard games.

They would have to completely overhaul the underlying engine of StarCraft II due to how different it is. Simple triggers are not enough. Unit on unit collisions was just one. Another is unit movement responsiveness. Another is target acquisition and attack responsiveness. Another is the entirely different terrain system.

At this point they might as well just port some of the StarCraft II graphic code over to the Warcraft III engine… Far less work.

Blizzard can port WC3 models very easily to SC2. They did so already as every single classic WC3 model is available in StarCraft II via an official mod. They were planning to recreate WC3 in SC2 but due to how different the engines were it was not worth their time so they just released all the ported assets including some HD assets for the heroes as well as some very incomplete WC3 imitation data.

1 Like

The 2018 demo is the real product they shown to us and we buyed to play this!

Not this 2019 beta with a completely strange look with weak graphics! Very bad and dissapointing!

Back please with the 2018 game look! If this game look the same of this 2019 beta in the release i really will go ahead with refund.

2 Likes

This makes it quite clear that you have no clue what you’re even talking about. WoW uses the same (graphics) engine as Warcraft 3 and it has been improved upon over the years. They even stated as such. What they did was took the work that has been done to be able to push WoW’s graphics and retrofitted it back into the Warcraft 3 game engine.

You don’t seem to understand that there are the game engines, graphics engines and physics engines in every game and these engines are basically piled on top of each other.

1 Like

My dear friends! I am glad to see feedback from everyone, positive and negative, some opinions is interesting for me, other opinions go beyond the scope of the topic and only create useless questions of empty meaning. I want to get a new build from Blizzard and continue discussions. It will be very interesting for me to see how again you start pulling developers out of the pit of shame into which they sent themselves.

P.S.
Guardbringers of The Blizzard, continue to be ironic, soon there will be time for crying and disappointment!

Except for the part where you had to explain this simple process to be more complicated for replicating WC3’s pathing and glitch quirks as shown in the demo

Dude, I literally talked to one of the people who made the Demo 2018 map in 2018 while he was doing it. It was literally made in Warcraft III World Editor. “Some streamer says” is not a basis for truth.

You are spreading misinformation, whether you believe it or not.

2 Likes

What is your evidence? Is he a Blizzard developer? where are the proofs?

Continue? Was I wrong about something? WE SHOULD (ALL THE COMMUNITY) REQUEST THE BLIZZARD TO GIVE US A DEMO 2018 FOR FREE ACCESS !!! IF THEY DO NOT RESPOND ANYWHERE, THE DECEPTION WILL BE OBVIOUS AND OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED !!!

1 Like

So i think is official that the demo was not made in W3 engine.