Custom Map Community Features List

Hello
I doubt anyone will be able to port over old custom maps into WC3 Reforged. Everything will have to be done from scratch in the new World Editor. The Editor will be a powerful tool, really important that the developers get it right.

Here’s a list of a few features I would like to see become a part of the World Editor, Battlenet and the game.

1. Group editing in one map file. Instead of having one player editing the custom map at the time, make it so that multiple editors can work live simaltenously on the file. This would make custom map editing much faster, easier and more fun. There are Warcraft 3 maps that took the community years to create, if this feature gets added, then work that took years would only take months to complete. This is probably the most important feature the editors want especially if they can’t port over the most complex old custom maps.

2. Multi-language custom map. Make it easy to add multiple different language options inside custom maps. So either by activating it in-game via some command or have it as a menu option in the game lobby before the game starts. This would make it easier to spread one custom map to different WC3 player regions. Then the chinese players and the western players can both enjoy the exact same custom map without language problems. This would be everything from tooltip descriptions to cutscene dialogue.

3. Queue searching for custom games. When you search for a custom game, also provide the option to select what roles/race/faction/color you would like to enter as. Like for example, if you really want to roleplay as humans but not as orcs in a custom game then give players the option to do this based on some kind of priority queing. So if there’s 12 different options, the player can rank prioritize them, putting the most desirable option at the top and the least wanted at the bottom.

4. Live custom map update! Have the different versions of the same map be connected to each other as if they were the same map. So that as a mapmaker, when you update your map that the update is quickly distributed to everyone in the game lobbies and queing for it. Now you have to manually update it and keep track of which version you’re playing, it’s a very long process to for example fix one small bug in your custom game. Option to play an older version of a custom map should always of course exist for those who wants to host it.

5. Public data of custom games. Enable players to see the winrate, kill/death/assist, resources and such scoreboard data of custom games. Have it be stored so that you can get solid data for the custom game community. Really important to have this data as a World Map Editor trying to balance the gameplay. Replays, custom game ID and seeing the playername in the custom games is important. For this to be particularly useful for custom map editors, let them also be able to modify the scoreboard as custom games can have different win conditions and different sets of data that are important to see.

6. Ladder ranking on custom games. Also enable the ladder to be modified since different custom games have different things they want to measure. Would help custom map communities to get competitive and even help the creation of new eSports.

That’s all for now, thanks for reading. Please take these features into consideration. Take the custom map community serious, these are all really important features the community needs to be able to grow into something huge. With these features you can more easily grow new competitive eSports from Warcraft 3 Reforged.

7 Likes

wait wait WAIT! Why wouldn’t reforged be able to run classic maps?

Is blizzard unable to support its own assets and JASS scripting now??

They said they “must” be able to run old wc3x map files on reforged.

I hope they stick to it. Seriously. The old map makers aren’t around anymore for some of my favorite old maps!

1 Like

Porting maps would the one saving grace of a reforged Warcraft III even if it turned out 100% terrible, which I (mostly) doubt.

Many maps haven’t been touched in at least a decade, and some of them are…really quite beautiful, especially considering the assets on hand the time they were made.

See: The Fall/Siege of Gondolin, most of the War of the Jewels maps, Legends of the Second War, Battle for Middle Earth: Reloaded 2.0…

…I may be biased in that I knew the creators of more than a few of those, but the point remains that losing all of that would be a real tragedy.

3 Likes

Where did you hear that? Do you have a source?

They said in the Wc3 Panel and Grubbys stream - you will be able to just load up your old custom maps in WC3 reforged and you can play it with the new models! Most of the maps should work!
If you have the Virtual Ticket you can watch the Wc3 Reforged Panel VOD now - https://blizzcon.com/de-de/watch?v=5bd61cc2ead09af8df9f1327&franchise=WARCRAFT&category=FROM%20THE%20FLOOR&eventYear=2018

skip to 20:30 and you have your confirmation.

I personally doubt the functionality of porting over old maps into reforged, especially those maps that relied on first modifying the world editor.

I personally edited maps that were huge which had to import a lot of custom models and surpass the original limits of the editor. I doubt those kind of maps would be ported over also. I suspect it is going to be limited to Tower Defense, melee and some simple custom maps that can get ported.

I would be shocked if Reforged could work just fine with custom maps such as Diablo, Azeroth Wars and Dota.

1 Like

well if you dont believe it you can also read the interview with Wowhead they also said it there - Wowhead Interview with Warcraft III Reforged Team at BlizzCon 2018 - Wowhead News

i know you have doubts but they said:
The original version of Warcraft 3 is still basically compatible with the reforged version, and that includes also the maps, custom mods.

The way it should work is that if the maps existed before, they’ll just automatically load up.

hope it helps for everyone who wants to play their old favorite custom games.

I read the interview and I know the magnitude of the problems those heroic engineers face. I do not doubt that you will be able to port over the simple maps. I doubt them being able to port over the most complex maps the Warcraft 3 community ever created. The most complex ones had to modify the world editor a lot first before being capable of creating the biggest complex maps Warcraft have. I personally worked on such maps, which is why I have doubts they will be able to pull it off.

TL;DR - It’s a little sad, and partially insulting for them to ask us to trust them after their handling of the latest upcoming Wc3 Classic patch (1.30.2)

Full:
It feels a bit hurtful when they say-

“The team values a lot the community that kept Warcraft III alive for 13 years without much support and is looking to have a lot of dialogue with them to make Reforge into the best experience possible.”

When on the main Wc3 forums, they asked for feedback on 1.30.2, which effectively kills ENT, Makemehost, and other bot-hosting services (as well as a lot of their useful, homemade API’s), and the forums are essentially bare of Dev responses or even sympathy for the time all the modders spent building these community tools.

For context, when the Legacy team began its work updating Warcraft 3 Classic, many of their patches broke bot functionality, or caused funky issues. The community spent a lot of time (obviously from their own busy real life schedules) fixing these issues and looking for solutions. Then without warning we’re hit with 1.30.2, effectively giving us SC2’s Custom Game list, and killing off bots. No solutions for how hosts can manage lobbies anymore, no banlists for trolls or even ping checks. A lot of functionality is going to be lost, and the dev’s were (as of the last time I checked) totally silent, despite the pretty unanimous response from the tool-creator community, as well as the mapmaker community.

DeathlyGod, now Classic Dev Team have the reasonable excuse to say that they have been very busy. While working on Classic games they’ve also been working on WC3 Reforged at the same time. That must be quite intense for the developers.

They may have killed the auto hosting bots, but all we have to do is wait one more year and we’ll get Reforged with excellent hosting capabilities. One year in the eyes of a true Warcraft 3 player is not much when we’ve already waited for 16 years.

These suggestions are really, really good, and they won’t only help the map makers port some of the more complex and beautiful custom maps if some issues do arrive, but will help the map making community thrive once more, help them bring up to date those same maps, create new ones, develop huge projects, I hope the devs adopt these ideas.

1 Like

Please consider adding numeric cooldowns for abilities and items with option to enable or disable in the options menu. These are useful in custom games but not that much in melee maps.

This picture was taken from a stream that I saw this awesome feature, even if its not a game mechanic change but rather than replacing multiple images I still think its great feature to have.
xhttps://i.imgur.com/qMZq5Rj.jpg
(remove x to view image)

People should stop necroing these 3-month-old posts. Make a new thread, if you something new to say.

yeah but I thought making same post will be double posting so I tried to post it here. I guess I haven’t read all forum rules

Well, if the old post is 3 months old, I don’t think it qualifies as double posting. :slight_smile:

1 Like