Custom DDS Icons

The custom made DDS (which is the new format used by Blizzard) icons do not display in Object Editor’s drop-down menu, it still works only for .blp files.

Now the icons if properly saved (.dds - DXT1 - mipmap) still work ingame in all states. But would it be possible to fix that World Editor issue? Otherwise one needs to copy the full path and manually paste it every time, which is a bit annoying at 100+ custom icons.

NO it are NOT POSSIBLE because NO ONE care about custom games that were the LIFEBLOOD of this game for some audience because THOSE PEOPLE learn how to get GAME CONTENT they make themselves without PAYING which is fundamental purpose of forming COMPANY and so EVERY update to world editor is a form of UNAPPRECIATED CHARITY which is NOT worth the time.

WESTRING_WELCOME_SMALLTEXT2=“PLEASE NOTE: Blizzard Entertainment does NOT directly support the editor. Our Technical Support team will be unable to answer questions about editor functionality or help resolve problems you may experience while using the editor.”

WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM

Really? I’ve spend lots of resources for custom map development. I’ve pre-purchased the game. I made three times War3 Reforged gifts to my friends and me and my team are working to bring fresh content? You not believe me? Check my topic and explore the demo map which can be posted here:

While now days everything is pay for service. The entire development I pay with my own pocket without any help from other people, because I believe in this game and I refuse to give up on it.

Sure there is people who thinks like you but there is passionate people that care about game play not profits. This project that we’ve working on is just to play good custom map without any profits.

The Support tech team is not the same as development team. If developers was always responding to every questions players wanted them to respond we wouldn’t see a game for the next 12 years. The tech team can help to identify the problem and send notes to development team as well as the player.

1 Like

That’s what I am saying, Blizzard makes NO PROFIT from you so why should they help you? They MUST get you stop playing PAY ONCE world editor and onto different Blizzard PAY TO PLAY game. It’s the only way to turn a profit.
Smart manager cannot care about your BLP problems.

That is why I am coding replica game, escape pod from this forsaken world. My Object Editor has behavior tab and lets me select 20 units at a time and copy them between maps. Haven’t you seen the leaks last year?

APOCALYPSE!

They ask me, how do my custom units have shadows. I can be anything I want, indivisible, under God, with liberty and justice for all.

But I don’t have issues with with BLP problems. Well pretty we have all the tools for the custom map. You mistaken me because the topic is not mine.

The mothership said, “As all are one.”

Why do you bother with DDS ?
I also tried that in the beginning, but the thing is this format gives you no control over compression ratio.
I gave up on DDS for my projects. When you make a multiplayer map, you still need to maintain decent file size, because not everyone lives in an area where you can get a Gb Fibre connection.
Nothing is wrong with BLP in reforged, just keep choosing the proper ratio and number of mipmaps and you’ll be fine.
Good luck and take care !

Well if you make a Reforged map or any asset, there is no reason to go back to BLP.
It’s compression is very bad, and the file sizes are massive compared to DDS.
Icons are at 256x256, and when correctly saved as DDS they’ll be only 42 KB. Plus there are plug-ins for Photoshop, so it’s easier to work overall.

I think you got completely confused.
DDS take waaaayyy more file size than BLP(that use jpeg compression).
The only advantage of DDS over JPG is that this formats allows for a better compression IN THE GRAPHIC CARD MEMORY.
On disk DDS textures are just huge in size.

When I gave up DDS and switched to BLP, my map, with its Custom UI elements, quite a few custom models with their textures and many icons (I chose 128x128 as a compromise and the result is really good visually) went down from 16Mb to 4Mb. And that is with hardly any perceptible visual quality loss.

So I know, maps nowadays can be as big as 256Mb, but I still care, because like some other people around in this world, I don’t have Gb fibre connection, and I don’t want people to spend 5 minutes downloading my map when it will be released.

So my point stands, stay away from DDS if you don’t want your map size to become ridiculously big when you start adding a lot of design in it.

Side note : if you insist on using DDS, at least choose DXT5 over DXT1.

Good luck.