CRASH: Stomp, Clap, Bridges, Fog of War in Reforged Graphics

War Stomp, Slam, and Thunder Clap are causing crashes in Reforged graphics when cast by a unit that is within the frame of the camera but hidden by fog of war. This crash occurs when a bridge is anywhere on the map other than within the camera field of view, while sometimes a lighting anomaly can be seen in adjacent water to the casting unit not obscured by black mask.

The easiest way to replicate this crash is to create a new custom map with shallow water as the base terrain level, and no controlled units or visibility by the Player. Place a group (6+) of Footmen controlled by another computer, and a neutral hostile Tauren Chieftain and raise its War Stomp level (Or drop down any other unit with Slam, Thunder Clap, or War Stomp). Delete the default melee map triggers and set the start location for Player 1 on the Tauren Chieftain so the fogged camera fixes over them. Create a land peninsula for the units which surrounds the upper and right side of the Tauren Chieftain with water. Place a bridge anywhere other than the camera field of view. When the Tauren Chieftain stomps, a lighting anomaly might appear in the water and/or the game will crash. It may take a few stomps. Water does not need to be on a map for this crash to occur but it will highlight the lighting anomaly.

No extra doodads, triggers, or special object data, or other additions besides the units and bridge is necessary to see this crash. This occurs with both the Hero and Unit variants of War Stomp and Thunder Clap. Shockwave does not seem to cause this crash so it might be related to both the lightning and the terrain deformation caused by War Stomp, Slam, and Thunder Clap some how affecting off-screen bridges while hidden by fog of war.

This does not affect Classic graphics.

Thanks for the detailed description. make a test map to showcase the bug. it would be useful for everyone.

Just want to return to this and see if it’s still possible to reproduce this crash.

We’re looking for exactly that. If anyone can provide such a map, it would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Here you go: Reforged HD Terrain Deformation Crash | HIVE

This is a 5/5 repo on my end. The bug is likely related to Z heights, and may be related to the crash fixed after the Dreamhack Anaheim event. There is a Jira ticket for it. I also submitted the exception report.

Please reach out if you need assistance.

1 Like

The map linked above has been created exactly to the instructions described in the OP and does succeed at crashing the game as long as the bridge is not in the camera zoom FOV. Thank you very much for publishing this. Hope it helps!

So that’s why when I played befor Orc, Tauren + You shall not Pass, crashed the game so often during my battles? Now playing NE is not crashing so often, just not every win is counted !