Change WC3 Language installation

I’m asking here because I couldnt find an official counterpart in the EU forums.
To cut it short, I installed the game using the installer provided in the patch notes for those who bought the REFORGED (the other installer showing in my account game list was bound to a ROC version because i lost my old TFT key, but I think that the two clients are exactly the same, at least in size *).
So I’m now able to play both ROC and TFT happily because of the REFORGED prepurchase.
The thing is, I was used to the english voices/keybindings but this guy won’t let me change the base language, I also tried using the repair but I don’t see any option in there.
I was hoping someone knows how to change it.

(*) I also wanted to try uninstalling the game and reinstalling using the installer that I get with the ROC cd-key (because when you pick it from the game list it seems to ask you which language you want to download), but the uninstaller is not working LOL. Double clicking the ROC installer shows me the repair client and it speaks italian anyway.

Go into battle.net account → download page. There are the client links download. Under “fronzen throne” there s written “english (US)”: click on US and it will allow you to download the client of any language you want.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply
unfortunately that alone didn’t work, but I found a solution (for anyone who has the same problem).

Changing the installer language will always download the same file. if you happened to run the installer and download the game once, or if for some other reason the language is locked to anything you do not desire do as follow:

• just change the classic launcher locale key string to “enUS”, which is located under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertaiment\Classic Launcher\w3 (use regedit)
  • If you do not whish to have it in english, put an invalid value (such as “enGB”); during the next installer launch, it will ask you for it.

This will really change the installer language, and it will let you reinstall the game.
I don’t know if the game ships with all languages bundled and if this method will change a locale if the game is installed already (I doubt so), I had already uninstalled mine.

If like me, the windows uninstaller does not work, that’s what I did:

• wipe the game folder (basedir/warcraft III)
  • search for “WARCRAFT III” in the windows registry and destroy EVERYTHING
  • search again and again, there will be multiple findings. Keep destroying.
  • (re)install

have fun

7 Likes

There’s a much easier way which I’m currently using.
You can’t change the language inside the game settings. But in the Blizzard Battlenet Launcher click Warcraft 3, then the little options button above the video and there on game-settings. Select the game you want to change and change the language settings. It does need another 2.2 GB data but that is a lot less than a full re-install. And if you have a slow connection like me, that’s important.
Hope this helps the next ones looking for a solution

5 Likes

Thank you @Boxie, your solution worked just fine!! :smiley: