Can we expect Warcraft 3 Reforged to work on Wine+DXVK (or natively)?

I know that big things are coming and that therefore, drastic changes are made and that can break (some aspect of) the game while you’re keeping changes and fixes coming.

Recently, since around patch 1.30, it has not been possible to install Warcraft 3 on Wine (32-bit) using the downloadable installer from BattleNet. Also, using a fully working version of the game on patch 1.30.1 (installed prior to installer breaking), trying to update the game to 1.30.2 fails with BLZBNTBTS0000005C error. Therefore, it’s impossible to go on BattleNet anymore… If you take a look at the Warcraft III info on WineHQ, you will find that Warcraft 3 has been working for a long time without trouble.

So, now that the game doesn’t install, updates fail and BattleNet doesn’t work, I’m asking myself how long this will go on and if we’re going to see even more errors of the sort with Reforged. I have pre-ordered the game and I would very much like to play it.

Can we expect that Reforged will work (as the original client did before)? Will the original Warcraft 3 client get back to working state on Wine in the near future? Of course, the ideal scenario would be to see a native GNU/Linux client, but I may be dreaming. Anyway, this has never hurt anyone. Although, I’m confident the jump wouldn’t be too hard to make for Warcraft 3. In any case, keep the good work on polishing the game. I like the new style and hope to play it someday!

2 Likes

I’m afraid that with reforge some parts of the code may be rewritten (to improve) while trying to maintain the core feeling the game.

My guess is that this “new/updated” code might be unexpected by Wine and is causing errors. From what I read about Wine, I think it might be more probable that they (Wine Devs) update it to adapt to the “new/updated” code.

Thanks to deduction made by others on another post, I understood that I had to run BattleNet while using the installer. Now, the game is installed. Nevertheless, my question stands for Reforged: can we expect the game to work?

Hello,

I know its a long time ago but warcraft 3 reforge beta running fine with dxvk